News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 25, 2015, 12:43:11 AM
Quote from: Reginald Ret on June 24, 2015, 06:43:07 PM
:horrormirth: This is dumber than homeopathy.
Wait:
first hit on a reputable source, namely pubmed: "Histamine intolerance results from a disequilibrium of accumulated histamine and the capacity for histamine degradation. Histamine is a biogenic amine that occurs to various degrees in many foods. In healthy persons, dietary histamine can be rapidly detoxified by amine oxidases, whereas persons with low amine oxidase activity are at risk of histamine toxicity."

Wait some more:
more than 500 hits on google scholar not counting citations and patents.
First one from 1983.

True, it is not a lot, but it seems to be taken seriously by people who are very good at the biochem techno-babble.

Example:
Quote from: http://www.data.aerzteblatt.org/pdf/di/103/51/a3477e.pdfHistamine can be metabolized by two pathways:
- oxidative deamination via diamino oxidase (DAO) (formerly known as histaminease)
- ring methylation via histamine-N-methyl transferase (HNMT)

DAO is a secretory protein responsible for the breakdown of extra cellular histamine,
whereas HNMT, a cytosolic protein, inactivates histamine only intracellularly, for example
in the liver (2). The enzyme DAO therefore plays a key role in the breakdown of dietary
histamine. Insufficient DAO activity can thus lead to the symptoms described, e.g., after
ingestion of histamine rich foods, (5), alcohol (6) or histamine liberating or DAO blocking
medications (7).
Various possible mechanisms have been discussed as the cause of histamine intolerance
(1). The production of DAO may for example be reduced by damage to enterocytes in
gastrointestinal disease (11, 21). Other biogenic amines, alcohol (18) and medications
(7, 19) can also competitively inhibit the breakdown of histamine by DAO. Acquired
histamine intolerance may be reversible where the cause if removed, such as the dis-
continuation of DAO blocking medications.

Note: minor editing in quote because copypasta didn't work properly.

Yes, deficiencies in breaking down histamine is a real, biological occurrence. Just like deficiencies in breaking down gluten and deficiencies in breaking down lactose. That means there's just enough science behind a very rare enzyme pathway deficiency to make the health quack crowd BILLIONS when they convince millions of Americans that they, too, have a histamine intolerance. :lol:
:lol:
Yep, but learning that did change my mind about one thing: Now I think homeopathy is dumber.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 25, 2015, 03:07:37 AM
Quote from: Cain on June 25, 2015, 12:50:02 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 25, 2015, 12:44:54 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 24, 2015, 04:33:57 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 24, 2015, 06:56:18 AM
Portland: Today someone said "I know people who can't do bone broth because they have histamine intolerance".

Alone amongst the crowd, I am utterly unshocked by this.

Full of hate, but unshocked.

Betcha that 99% of these "histamine intolerant" people drink wine. Because the histamines in wine don't count.

Wine is calorie, carb, sugar, completely chemical-free goodness.  Everyone knows that.

Only red wine though.

And only brands that nobody's ever heard of, that you have to order special.

Naturally.  The more obscure they are, the more they are filled with "good histamines".  These are like good bacteria, which your body needs to function normally

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Portland: Today someone said "I know people who can't do bone broth because they have histamine intolerance".

Betcha that 99% of these "histamine intolerant" people drink wine. Because the histamines in wine don't count.

Wine is calorie, carb, sugar, completely chemical-free goodness.  Everyone knows that.

Only red wine though.

Organic, of course. And gluten-free.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret on June 25, 2015, 04:10:37 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 25, 2015, 12:43:11 AM
Quote from: Reginald Ret on June 24, 2015, 06:43:07 PM
:horrormirth: This is dumber than homeopathy.
Wait:
first hit on a reputable source, namely pubmed: "Histamine intolerance results from a disequilibrium of accumulated histamine and the capacity for histamine degradation. Histamine is a biogenic amine that occurs to various degrees in many foods. In healthy persons, dietary histamine can be rapidly detoxified by amine oxidases, whereas persons with low amine oxidase activity are at risk of histamine toxicity."

Wait some more:
more than 500 hits on google scholar not counting citations and patents.
First one from 1983.

True, it is not a lot, but it seems to be taken seriously by people who are very good at the biochem techno-babble.

Example:
Quote from: http://www.data.aerzteblatt.org/pdf/di/103/51/a3477e.pdfHistamine can be metabolized by two pathways:
- oxidative deamination via diamino oxidase (DAO) (formerly known as histaminease)
- ring methylation via histamine-N-methyl transferase (HNMT)

DAO is a secretory protein responsible for the breakdown of extra cellular histamine,
whereas HNMT, a cytosolic protein, inactivates histamine only intracellularly, for example
in the liver (2). The enzyme DAO therefore plays a key role in the breakdown of dietary
histamine. Insufficient DAO activity can thus lead to the symptoms described, e.g., after
ingestion of histamine rich foods, (5), alcohol (6) or histamine liberating or DAO blocking
medications (7).
Various possible mechanisms have been discussed as the cause of histamine intolerance
(1). The production of DAO may for example be reduced by damage to enterocytes in
gastrointestinal disease (11, 21). Other biogenic amines, alcohol (18) and medications
(7, 19) can also competitively inhibit the breakdown of histamine by DAO. Acquired
histamine intolerance may be reversible where the cause if removed, such as the dis-
continuation of DAO blocking medications.

Note: minor editing in quote because copypasta didn't work properly.

Yes, deficiencies in breaking down histamine is a real, biological occurrence. Just like deficiencies in breaking down gluten and deficiencies in breaking down lactose. That means there's just enough science behind a very rare enzyme pathway deficiency to make the health quack crowd BILLIONS when they convince millions of Americans that they, too, have a histamine intolerance. :lol:
:lol:
Yep, but learning that did change my mind about one thing: Now I think homeopathy is dumber.

That it is. Oh yes,  that it is.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on June 25, 2015, 04:14:58 AM

Only red wine though.

Naturally.  The more obscure they are, the more they are filled with "good histamines".  These are like good bacteria, which your body needs to function normally

:horrormirth:

Doktor Howl

We should make this a thing. They'd go for it, if we present it properly.

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 25, 2015, 04:46:54 AM
We should make this a thing. They'd go for it, if we present it properly.

It's a good thing they're inverted!  :lulz:

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

At least they're boneless.  Nothing worse than a boney, inverted rectum.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

LMNO

Did you see the piece on NPR that put it to a blind taste test?  It was really interesting.  The takeaway was that, if washed well enough first, it basically really does taste like a tough piece of calamari.

The magic of deep frying!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 25, 2015, 03:36:07 PM
Did you see the piece on NPR that put it to a blind taste test?  It was really interesting.  The takeaway was that, if washed well enough first, it basically really does taste like a tough piece of calamari.

The magic of deep frying!

Yeah... they basically went in search of the rumor that it was actually being served as calamari in restaurants, and when they were unable to find any evidence for that, they went with "but COULD it hypothetically be served as calamari?" and then concluded that if it were "prepared properly" they could see it being passed off for calamari.

I was like, really NPR?