News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Fuck you, bitch

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 06, 2014, 04:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't know if this really belongs in this sub, but it ties into some topics we've discussed here at length, and I thought the last sentence was particularly keen. I think it also stood out for me because earlier this week, a woman on Facebook went apeshit at me because I didn't think she was funny, and busted out "nigger bitch" and references to lynching a dozen or so times.

Thought I'd share here, because you guys are pretty fucking smart and I wondered what your take on it is.

http://www.rolereboot.org/culture-and-politics/details/2013-07-what-youre-really-saying-when-you-call-me-a-bitch

QuoteI'm on an arbitrary crosswalk on an arbitrary Sunday in Chicago when it happens. He's in his early 40′s, nicely dressed. As we head in opposite directions, elbows almost bumping, he leans into my space, face inches from mine and hisses, "Fuck you, bitch." He keeps walking, and I stop dead in the middle of the street, hoping someone else just saw that.

It's the "bitch" that kept swinging through the revolving door in my brain as I walked the half mile home. Why did he call me that? I didn't do anything to him, I didn't say anything to him, I didn't even look at him. Was I supposed to smile? A random "fuck you" might just be the standard cost of living in a large city where you encounter the occasional unstable citizen, but the "bitch" added insult to injury.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

From where I'm standing, with no othr informtion, that guy is a scary, sociopathic monster who will eventually do something terrible to another human.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yyyyeeeahhhh. And right now there's some precious little twat in Partially Examined Life or whatever it's called, trying to proclaim that because in HIS personal experience and intuition "bitch" is no longer primarily leveed against women, it wasn't a gender-based slur.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 06, 2014, 05:25:29 AM
Yyyyeeeahhhh. And right now there's some precious little twat in Partially Examined Life or whatever it's called, trying to proclaim that because in HIS personal experience and intuition "bitch" is no longer primarily leveed against women, it wasn't a gender-based slur.

I think I made this point before, but when "bitch" is used against a woman, it's usually a reaction to some perceived unfeminine quality (aggressiveness, assertiveness, generally not being sweet and accommodating). When a man is called a "bitch" it's to insult him for being a pushover or a whiner, i.e. "unmanly."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on September 06, 2014, 07:56:13 PM

I think I made this point before, but when "bitch" is used against a woman, it's usually a reaction to some perceived unfeminine quality (aggressiveness, assertiveness, generally not being sweet and accommodating). When a man is called a "bitch" it's to insult him for being a pushover or a whiner, i.e. "unmanly."

Yeah, it's kind of misogynistic either way that it's being used.

This kid in the group, he seems like a 19-year-old philosophy major.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

A term to assert dominance over another. It's basically saying, "If I wanted to, I could rape you right now...in fact I might." It's misogynistic in the worst way possible. Sexism isn't about wangs and boobies--it's about a specific power dynamic. "Bitch" is made of that power dynamic. Applying it without regard to organs, doesn't make that any less so. In fact, it makes it kind of more so.

On a funny note, it's always an interesting sight to see someone with a flippant "I learned thuggin' from the TV" attitude call someone a bitch who's been to prison or who, in some other way, takes that term very seriously. The single worst beating I've ever seen in my life happened under that circumstance.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

tyrannosaurus vex

Like with just about every other word in English, the word "bitch" has a lot of uses. None of those uses are particularly enlightened, and most of them are in fact based on assumptions about gender roles. The woman who asserts herself is a 'bitch,' the man who fails to assert himself is a 'bitch,' and it is also a word for constant non-constructive whining and complaining, which may or may not be intended as a comparison to women but even if it isn't, it's very clearly not avoiding such comparison.

I personally do not use the word, and when someone else uses it, especially when a man uses it in reference to a woman, I always cringe a little, just because it's saying a lot more about the speaker than about the target of the epithet, and every time I hear it I have to say to myself "well now we know we're in the company of an asshole."

Less clear to me is its implication when it is used by a woman toward another woman. Does it mean that the woman using the word has wholesale bought into gender role assumptions? I don't think so, based on the fact that some very 'progressive' women I know use the term simply to describe other women who are needlessly callous or seem to take pleasure in someone else's discomfort. In those cases I get the feeling that "bitch" is used purposely as a hurtful word, which means that it carries a lot of weight and social stigma behind it, and for that reason alone I suppose I should never use it just because if a word has that much negative force, there are probably better things for me to be saying.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

Then there's the use of the term in queer culture, which quite often uses it in a "group of friends" way: "Where my bitches at!?"  Which, it should be noted, was most likely appropriated from/shared by parts of black culture.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Of course, context is very meaningful. When the term is not being used as a pejorative, which also happens, there is a different dynamic and subtext.

nonheroick

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 06, 2014, 09:42:03 PM

19-year-old philosophy major? He doesn't happen to be a Subgenius...? I know one of those.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: nonheroick on September 13, 2014, 05:43:30 PM

19-year-old philosophy major? He doesn't happen to be a Subgenius...? I know one of those.

Yes, they certainly aren't to be trusted.  Those guys.  Those others.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: nonheroick on September 13, 2014, 05:43:30 PM

He might be, but I think there are along the lines of 24,800 19-year-old philosophy majors in the US at any given time.

GlompChomp

DISCLAIMER; I DID NOT REPLY TO UR THREAD BECAUSE OF THAT OTHER THING. THE TITLE CAUGHT MY EYE.

I read the article.

I like this part ;

"Bitch" is about not fitting the mold that women are supposed to fit. It is aimed at women who behave in "male" ways, women who are too ambitious or aggressive, women who are not as nice or as quiet as some people would like them to be."

Is basically true.

HOWEVER I have a question, if a bitch is sitting on my face and while giving me a moment to breath I call her a bitch to spice things up a bit, is that wrong? Like am I going to tumblr hell for that and will she feel degraded after or empowered?
widdly scuds

I stretch my penis in a saltwater toffee maker every Tuesday and Saturday.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.