News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Legality day one netted my state $250,000 in tax revenue.

Started by Da6s, January 03, 2014, 08:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

Quote from: Junkenstein on January 08, 2014, 07:53:01 PM
What? How does that even work?

Surely most stores were set up as business enterprises which require a bank/accountant/tons of other bullshit to set up and everyone tends to be pretty clear about what/where/why the revenue stream will appear.  This is basic fucking business.
If anyone can explain this to me it'd be appreciated because I can't understand this at all.

Here's  starting point. Will add other articles as I find em.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2014/01/pot_sales_denver_5_million_five_days.php

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4552371/
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

LMNO

Here's the legality of it:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-07/making-it-safe-for-banks-to-take-legal-pot-money
http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/159453

QuoteThat changed, Jammaron said, in September of 2011, when he got a newsletter from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), the agency that insures all U.S. bank deposits.

"We heard from them that anyone doing this would be considered to be money laundering," he said. "At that point in time, our only real course of action was to ask [the marijuana businesses] to close their accounts."

Because marijuana is illegal under federal law, it's also illegal for banks to handle money generated from its sale. Yet a federal review of banking rules is now underway at the U.S. Justice Department, and the law could change in the coming months. 

Da6s

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Junkenstein

Thanks gents, will get to reading. From what I've gathered so far these business all operate pretty much cash only?

I had a thought - What if banks can't touch it, but there was some other currency, separate from the dollar, possibly some kind of electronic coin, maybe managed by some sort of federal bureaux which made every transaction traceable all the time.

Then I remembered I'm paranoid fool.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Federal rules consider it money laundering so banks won't touch the "drug money"?

Where's HSBC when you need 'em?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Junkenstein

That too. It'd wonderful too see pot shop owners protesting this outside a branch.

http://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resources/3052013829132756857467.pdf

The above marks 8 areas "of particular importance", with the final paragraph of "Fuck you, buddy".

I'm still stunned with the whole banking angle, I had just assumed that the states that had gone for this had built in financial regs accordingly, otherwise, well, this. It's impossible to take any cash from it and you're still totally complicit at all times according to the feds.

I can think of a couple of ways to get cash from shop to back pocket but I wouldn't like to risk the defence in court. Is it wrong to worry that despite the increasing prevalence/availability of such laws that it may just be safer in the long run to stick to the black market or private enterprise?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Da6s

Quote from: Junkenstein on January 08, 2014, 09:18:24 PM
Thanks gents, will get to reading. From what I've gathered so far these business all operate pretty much cash only?

Fed law won't allow currency for legal pot to cross state lines. As a result of this, credit cards are not "allowed" . There are ways around this including lying about your business for credit card statements or using your register as a functioning ATM, typically requiring a pin be entered.

Hickenlooper appealed to the feds 3 months ago about banking and financial regulations for legal retail. Nothing was done. So now here we are.

Junkenstein

I sense mileage in a fake ad campaign along the lines of "HSBC staff promise their support in the drug war. We know which side we are on!"

tyrannosaurus vex

The regulations are protection for the black market, as always. Legalization poses a pretty big threat to established illegal drug trafficking organizations, and those organizations own a lawmaker or two either directly or indirectly. Banks won't open accounts for legal marijuana sellers, but they'll launder billions for cartels in Mexico. Why? Because they're more afraid of what will happen to them for aiding legal businesses than what will happen for actually laundering drug money for cartels, which is nothing.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: V3X on January 08, 2014, 10:44:16 PM
The regulations are protection for the black market, as always. Legalization poses a pretty big threat to established illegal drug trafficking organizations, and those organizations own a lawmaker or two either directly or indirectly. Banks won't open accounts for legal marijuana sellers, but they'll launder billions for cartels in Mexico. Why? Because they're more afraid of what will happen to them for aiding legal businesses than what will happen for actually laundering drug money for cartels, which is nothing.

Sounds like a bunch of conjecture with nothing to back it up, good sir.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Net on January 09, 2014, 06:26:26 AM
Quote from: V3X on January 08, 2014, 10:44:16 PM

Sounds like a bunch of conjecture with nothing to back it up, good sir.

Nothing to back it up? Clearly you are unfamiliar with the David Icke school of just knowing stuff intuitively.

Junkenstein

From legalisation to reptoids in less than 2 pages.

SEE THE DAMAGE POT BRINGS.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Junkenstein on January 09, 2014, 03:25:00 PM

SEE THE DAMAGE ENHANCED PERCEPTION POT BRINGS.

Fixed that for you, matrix-slave.

Left

Quote from: V3X on January 09, 2014, 03:32:18 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on January 09, 2014, 03:25:00 PM

SEE THE DAMAGE ENHANCED PERCEPTION POT BRINGS.

Fixed that for you, matrix-slave.
:mittens:
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Didn't someone we know once insist that tax revenue would be nowhere NEAR the millions predicted?

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."