News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Gentlemen, we have found a solution to the Florida Problem.

Started by LMNO, January 28, 2014, 06:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

57-year-old snowbird Doug Varrieur... was looking for a way to teach his eyesight-impaired wife how to shoot her self-defense pistol without the inconvenience of going to a commercial gun range... [So] he started shooting at cans and zombie cutouts right outside the door of his RV, around people he didn't know. He can do this because a state law prevents local municipalities from banning the discharge of firearms in residential neighborhoods.

QuoteThe law says folks can fire anything they want on their own property, no matter how small the plot of land, as long as they're not "reckless" or "negligent"—terms that cops admit they're unsure how to interpret. And the first violation would be a misdemeanor anyway, meaning a police officer can't arrest an offender unless he witnesses the offense with his own eyes.

Quote"... if they want to shoot a fully automatic weapon, and have a class 3 license, technically they would not be in violation of anything."

QuoteMany municipalities in Florida used to have local laws banning the firing of guns in residential areas. While the preemptive state law has been in place for almost three decades, many local governments ignored it and passed their own gun ordinances.

But in 2011, backed by the National Rifle Association, the Republican-led state Legislature put more teeth into the state law, creating penalties for local lawmakers who violate it. Gov. Rick Scott signed the law that now makes anyone who creates or upholds local gun ordinances subject to fines of up to $5,000. They also can be removed from office and forced to pay their own legal bills if sued over local gun ordinances.

So, basically, we just sit back and wait.

Squiddie, you may want to invest in Kevlar.

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

QuoteThe law says folks can fire anything they want on their own property, no matter how small the plot of land, as long as they're not "reckless" or "negligent"—terms that cops admit they're unsure how to interpret. And the first violation would be a misdemeanor anyway, meaning a police officer can't arrest an offender unless he witnesses the offense with his own eyes.

Wait, what? Was this actually a real cop? This sounds like bullshit. I'd say it much more likely cops are fucking terrified to try and arrest a lunatic who think's he's within his rights. Oh, and the possessing an armed and operational gun will have nothing to do with it I'm sure.

So I guess the question is, will the inevitable tragic tale involve a dead cop(s),dead civillian(s) or both. I'm guessing both for a real clusterfuck. Probably able to pull the stand your ground card too if you're on your own property.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Random Probability

Quote from: Junkenstein on January 28, 2014, 09:14:50 PM

Wait, what? Was this actually a real cop? This sounds like bullshit. I'd say it much more likely cops are fucking terrified to try and arrest a lunatic who think's he's within his rights. Oh, and the possessing an armed and operational gun will have nothing to do with it I'm sure.

So I guess the question is, will the inevitable tragic tale involve a dead cop(s),dead civillian(s) or both. I'm guessing both for a real clusterfuck. Probably able to pull the stand your ground card too if you're on your own property.

Ooooh!  I wonder if "stand your ground" trumps "color of authority"?

:lulz:

popeurmom

This is why I live in Florida.

One of the few places I am still a free man.

LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC! :)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: popeurmom on March 04, 2014, 02:48:40 PM
This is why I live in Florida.

One of the few places I am still a free man.

LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC! :)

:troll:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Yeah, I found that, uh, "description" of America's very own banana republic to be pretty amusing too.