News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

I just saw something REALLY cool!

Started by East Coast Hustle, January 18, 2012, 03:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2012, 03:51:44 PM
Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 18, 2012, 03:45:59 AM
So there are literally hundreds of mahi mahi schooling around the boat right now. Our junior engineer caught 5 of them in about 15 minutes. He's been beheading them and then rinsing the blood off the deck with predictable results.

You guys have been murdering Central Africans and LAUGHING about it? 

YOU'RE BAD PEOPLE!

Scratch that.  I was thinking "Mali".

Carry on.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Khara on January 19, 2012, 03:48:34 PM
mmmmmmm mahi mahi....  you can't blame the shark.   :lulz:

I'm surprised there aren't cameras monitoring the water around the boat to begin with.  It's a research vessel right?  Maybe I misunderstood.  :sad:

No, it's more like a "research" vessel.

We specialize in providing plausible deniability.

(Also we couldn't really have cameras monitoring the water around the boat since there's usually something that doesn't technically exist yet hanging off our stern.)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Don Coyote

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 20, 2012, 01:21:28 AM
Quote from: Khara on January 19, 2012, 03:48:34 PM
mmmmmmm mahi mahi....  you can't blame the shark.   :lulz:

I'm surprised there aren't cameras monitoring the water around the boat to begin with.  It's a research vessel right?  Maybe I misunderstood.  :sad:

No, it's more like a "research" vessel.

We specialize in providing plausible deniability.

(Also we couldn't really have cameras monitoring the water around the boat since there's usually something that doesn't technically exist yet hanging off our stern.)

What are you talking about?

East Coast Hustle

Regardless of which acronym actually contracts us, 95% of the work we do ultimately is for NUWC or DARPA.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

So in other words, I'm not allowed to tell you what I'm talking about. :lulz:

Don Coyote

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 20, 2012, 01:39:41 AM

I knew that. Bad joke didn't translate well. :lulz:

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 18, 2012, 03:45:59 AM
So there are literally hundreds of mahi mahi schooling around the boat right now. Our junior engineer caught 5 of them in about 15 minutes. He's been beheading them and then rinsing the blood off the deck with predictable results.

Those results being that I just got to watch a rather large whitetip shark (I'd guess it was 8-10 feet) come rocketing up from the deep and eat one of the larger mahi mahi that was swimming around in our stern lights. That was some serious National Geographic shit!

Your story almost (ALMOST) makes me wish I still lived on a boat.  Your boat life is likely very, very different from the one I lived but I do recall anchoring off of the Yucatan peninsula when the tropical flying fish were spawing (this type: http://eol.org/pages/207280/overview)

Naturally, it attracted every predator for miles, including Blue Sharks that would circle the boat and join in the smorgasbord. 

We were actually fishing for food at times and that's a different story all together, but I finally got tired of seeing the sharks circle and only eating the shit bait fish (not the fliers, another species I wouldn't identify even if I knew because of bad memories from eating so damn many of them) and worked with the Chief Engineer to fashion a large hook from 1/4" aluminum, in order to catch one of these sharks. 

After we finished the hook, I asked the boson to help me knot a nylon line strong enough to hold a good size shark.  He recommended an eye splice in 1/4" nylon.  Watching and learning to tie that knot (and many others in my time on that boat) gave me a great respect for mariners, above and beyond what I already had.

I tied a 15' line to a pole on this boat, baited the hook with half a fish and tossed it over. 

a 5' (maybe 4-1/2", my memory embellishes by the half foot) blue came by and nibbled the fish. As soon as I saw him try and swallow it, I yanked on the rope to bury the hook and then let it go.

He was hooked and done.  I celebrated with my compadres and let him tire himself out for 5 or 10 minutes (not nearly enough, btw) and pulled him on board. 

I'll spare the gruesome details between how I caught him and how he ended up on our plates, but after soaking the meat in milk for a couple of hours, I enjoyed the best shark I have ever eaten.

Long winded story but, ECH, your tale made me miss the water.  For a minute, anyway, and I'm glad I read TT.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 20, 2012, 01:39:41 AM

But you can pack me some mahi mahi in some dry ice and ship it?  Because Missouri think "fresh" fish is a catfish with two heads from the Mississippi River.

I'm so jealous, I miss fresh snd for that matter edible seafood..... :cry:

East Coast Hustle

I'm pretty sure I can't send either fish or dry ice through the mail from a foreign country without an import license.

But even if I could, that would be the most expensive mahi anybody ever ate. :lulz:

That said, mahi is one of those firm-fleshed fishes that does not suffer any from being frozen. My advice would be to make friends with someone who is in charge of ordering for a local restaurant. Ask them if they'll order some for you from their vendor.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 20, 2012, 03:35:02 PM
I'm pretty sure I can't send either fish or dry ice through the mail from a foreign country without an import license.

But even if I could, that would be the most expensive mahi anybody ever ate. :lulz:

That said, mahi is one of those firm-fleshed fishes that does not suffer any from being frozen. My advice would be to make friends with someone who is in charge of ordering for a local restaurant. Ask them if they'll order some for you from their vendor.

I was only joking.... 

That's a good idea, I work with a few restaurants, I'll have to check with them.  I really don't care if it is mahi, just a decent fish that isn't catfish.