News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Is it possible to overcome our "animal nature"?

Started by zackli, July 30, 2014, 06:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Water Bear Warrior

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on July 30, 2014, 02:57:53 PM
Overcome? No. Reprogram? Yes. It's all interconnected. Unless you've got some safe method of ripping out the entire limbic system, and still being alive at the end of it, you're pretty much stuck with the demented reptile. The neocortex can be employed to override most of the command impulses, tho.

I agree that one's animal nature can't be overcome. We ARE animals. We are primates in the animal kingdom. There isn't any getting around that. The difference between us  however and other primates like chimpazees, is our intellect, intelligence and the fact that we would most likely get arrested if we throw our poo at people who we don't like.  We can reprogram out brains through neuroplasticity, and thus better control our actions and reactions. We can use the human condition, or human nature to reprogram our animal nature.

minuspace

Under proper operation, animal-Nature is a rather awesome incarnation, I think :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In the last week or so I have seen many uses of the word "neuroplasticity" in contexts that imply that the user does not, in fact, know what "neuroplasticity" means.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: zackli on July 30, 2014, 06:09:12 AM

The question is, what does it mean to "overcome" our animal nature?

It means you died.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Water Bear Warrior

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 18, 2014, 05:50:38 PM
In the last week or so I have seen many uses of the word "neuroplasticity" in contexts that imply that the user does not, in fact, know what "neuroplasticity" means.

Hey, I know what it means. It's a super power. Neuroplastic Man. If I am using it wrong in my original post and am showing ignorance, apologies. 

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Water Bear Warrior on August 19, 2014, 04:57:37 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 18, 2014, 05:50:38 PM

Hey, I know what it means. It's a super power. Neuroplastic Man. If I am using it wrong in my original post and am showing ignorance, apologies.

It's not even really wrong as much as it is an inappropriate and unnecessary use of jargon. "Reprogram the brain through neuroplasticity!" = "learn stuff". But "learn stuff" doesn't sound as cool.

Usually when we talk about harnessing neuroplastic capacity to reprogram the brain, we're talking about directed exercises that reroute functions around damage from stroke or other injuries. Technically the brain is always plastic, and you CAN talk about learning stuff and changing your habitual behaviors in terms of neuroplasticity, but it makes you sound like a douche.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I predict that within 5 years, there will be Neuroplasticity Actualization consultants* making a fortune by scamming Fortune 500 companies by teaching them, essentially, that they can learn stuff and change their behaviour.

Because there's nothing the corporate world loves more than a buzzword, especially if it gives a thin veneer of legitimacy to the practice of making ridiculous amounts of money for no particular reason.

*and if there isn't, then I will become one

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 19, 2014, 04:35:04 PM
I predict that within 5 years, there will be Neuroplasticity Actualization consultants* making a fortune by scamming Fortune 500 companies by teaching them, essentially, that they can learn stuff and change their behaviour.

Because there's nothing the corporate world loves more than a buzzword, especially if it gives a thin veneer of legitimacy to the practice of making ridiculous amounts of money for no particular reason.

*and if there isn't, then I will become one

:lulz: I suspect you are exactly right, and you should jump on that bandwagon FIRST so you can trademark that shit.

LMNO

I will gladly sign on as your US-affiliated partner.

minuspace

Learning Square - we Learn you, to the power of Learning