Previous topic - Next topic

Which dish should I run this weekend?

Poached halibut in garlic scape gazpacho with sea beans
4 (57.1%)
Poached Faroese salmon in periwinkle buerre blanc with sea beans
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

East Coast Hustle

So I got a big box of sea beans in and I'm torn between two dishes on how I want to use them this weekend. So, discriminating culinarians of PD, what say you?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

I'm a fan of both Halibut and scapes, and while I like periwinkles, I personally tend to avoid burre blanc and fish.  You probably have a way of cutting though the heaviness, though.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Reginald Ret

I voted Halibut, because i like the sound halibut makes in my head when i read it.

Halibut.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Faroese salmon.  It's meant to taste as good as wild Atlantic salmon.  And while a garlic scape gazpacho does sound appealing, I know quite a few people tend to be put off by anything with the word garlic in it.  Because they are culinary cowards, but still.

LMNO

Garlic is culinarily adventurous?  You've been in the UK too long.

Cain

No.  Well, I have, but that's besides the point.  People wont eat garlic if they're out on a date, for example.

LMNO

But if you both eat it, that cancels out...

...I'm beginning to realize why so many of my dates went so poorly.

East Coast Hustle

Garlic scapes (the green shoots) are milder than the bulbs, but the owner decided for me and it's going to be the halibut.

Personally, I'm starting to lean towards option C: ECH throws a complete wobbler in front of a packed restaurant, says "fuck all this bullshit", puts ECHGF and the dogs in the SUV, and heads for Virginia Beach or somewhere further south.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Which is to say, this shit isn't worth the money and I'm starting to realize that I REALLY don't give two shits for the prestige or "big fish in a tiny pond"-level "celebrity". I very well might be the 3rd best chef in Maine (Masa Miyake is like a GOD and I've got a ways to go before I consider myself even with Dana Street - sorry Melissa Kelley fans, she's not even the best chef in Rockland), but I literally could not give less of a fuck. I think I've reached that point that all chefs reach where it's time to get a book deal, resign yourself to being a broken down husk of a man by 45 who is going to die early, or GTFO and don't look back.

And I don't see a book deal coming down the pipes anytime soon.

LMNO

Hey, I found the Menu at ECH's place:

East Coast Hustle

:lulz:

Yeah, pretty fuckin' much. Though I've managed to so far resist all attempts to force me to use egregious amounts of truffles. And I will put my newfangled deviled eggs up against anyone's, at least until bottarga becomes the new truffles.

LMNO

Bottarga.

Fucking A yeah, motherfucker goddamn bottarga.