News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

can we do it?

Started by vexaph0d, December 22, 2006, 05:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vexaph0d

For the past 60 years or so, we as a species have had the capability to drive ourselves into complete exitinction in a matter of hours, if not minutes.  Our mastery of destruction is a function of our mastery of manipulating our environment and its resources.  Our technological progress is approaching the point where, although nature might deal a near-deadly blow to our species, we ourselves are the only ones capable anymore of completely annihilating us.  If we expand our borders to include other planets, we may be past that point.  Do you think there is a definite line we are crossing now, where we take the power to destroy us away from nature and the gods, and assume that responsibility ourselves?  Is the exponential rise in global violence we are witnessing now, merely the fumbling of our own inexperience hands as true masters of our own destiny?

Does the human race have what it takes to break the paradigm of "survival of the fittest," the oldest and most deeply-ingrained paradigm we have?  Albert Einstein insisted that much of his work, including the atomic bomb, was something humanity was not ready for.  Do you believe we will overcome the archaic structures of our culture, which helped us get to this point but are now ineffective and cumbersome, and begin the process of conscious evolution?
FRied Eggs for Eris, the FREE Cabal. No applicants accepted.

Cain

Progress of that sort is possible, but by its nature it is so much slower than technological gains.

More on this later.

AFK

Quote from: vexaph0d on December 22, 2006, 05:27:00 PM
For the past 60 years or so, we as a species have had the capability to drive ourselves into complete exitinction in a matter of hours, if not minutes.  Our mastery of destruction is a function of our mastery of manipulating our environment and its resources.  Our technological progress is approaching the point where, although nature might deal a near-deadly blow to our species, we ourselves are the only ones capable anymore of completely annihilating us.  If we expand our borders to include other planets, we may be past that point.  Do you think there is a definite line we are crossing now, where we take the power to destroy us away from nature and the gods, and assume that responsibility ourselves?  Is the exponential rise in global violence we are witnessing now, merely the fumbling of our own inexperience hands as true masters of our own destiny?

Ultimately, nature still has one-up on us.  That is, the ultimate destruction of the planet and the Solar System when the sun dies.  Of course, I could see one arguing that by then we may master some way to escape that fate.  But, with current technology, if the sun were to start dying tomorrow, we would all be screwed.  But, beyond that I agree.  Our numbers and adaptability through technology have probably got us to the point where complete and utter destruction of every human on Earth is probably out of the hands of nature.  Though, I can see a super virus cutting us down pretty good much like the Black Death did back in the day. 

QuoteDoes the human race have what it takes to break the paradigm of "survival of the fittest," the oldest and most deeply-ingrained paradigm we have?  Albert Einstein insisted that much of his work, including the atomic bomb, was something humanity was not ready for.  Do you believe we will overcome the archaic structures of our culture, which helped us get to this point but are now ineffective and cumbersome, and begin the process of conscious evolution?

I don't know.  I think to a certain degree "survival of the fittest" will always hold true.  I think it depends more on your definition of "fittest." 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.