News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

White Student Union forms at Georgia State

Started by Suu, August 01, 2013, 11:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

I know, FOX link, bear with me, but naturally it WOULD be the first to break this.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/01/georgia-state-student-forms-white-student-union/

QuoteFreshman Patrick Sharp says he started the club so that students of European and Euro-American descent can celebrate their shared history and culture. He said members can also discuss issues that affect white people, such as immigration and affirmative action.

:kingmeh:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Wasn't there already a thread on this here? Or did I see it somewhere else? Either way . . . Georgia is a screwy place. It's trying too hard to be Tucson.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/freshman-starts-informal-white-student-union-at-ge/nY887/

QuoteGeorgia State is highly diverse, with whites comprising 38 percent of the student body, followed by blacks at 35 percent, Asians at 12 percent and Latinos at 7 percent.

"If we are already minorities on campus and are soon to be minorities in this country why wouldn't we have the right to advocate for ourselves and have a club just like every other minority?" said Sharp, 18. "Why is it when a white person says he is proud to be white he's shunned as a racist?"

I don't think he knows what 'minority' means.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Suu

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on August 01, 2013, 11:49:05 PM
Wasn't there already a thread on this here? Or did I see it somewhere else? Either way . . . Georgia is a screwy place. It's trying too hard to be Tucson.

I may have missed it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Pergamos

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/freshman-starts-informal-white-student-union-at-ge/nY887/

QuoteGeorgia State is highly diverse, with whites comprising 38 percent of the student body, followed by blacks at 35 percent, Asians at 12 percent and Latinos at 7 percent.

"If we are already minorities on campus and are soon to be minorities in this country why wouldn't we have the right to advocate for ourselves and have a club just like every other minority?" said Sharp, 18. "Why is it when a white person says he is proud to be white he's shunned as a racist?"

No he's right about that part, the percentage of people in the US that are white is shrinking.  If you count white hispanics as non white, which many people do, then we will be a minority in a few decades. Being the largest minority on campus is still being a minority.

The Johnny

Quote from: Pergamos on August 02, 2013, 12:28:15 AM

No he's right about that part, the percentage of people in the US that are white is shrinking.  If you count white hispanics as non white, which many people do, then we will be a minority in a few decades. Being the largest minority on campus is still being a minority.

BAWWW, opressed minority!

Quote from:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_United_States#White_AmericansWhite Americans (non-Hispanic/Latino and Hispanic/Latino) are the racial majority, with a 72% share of the U.S. population, according to the 2010 US Census.[6] Hispanic and Latino Americans amount to 15% of the population, making up the largest minority.[5] Black Americans are the largest racial minority, amounting to nearly 13% of the population.[4][6] The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 63% of the nation's total.[5]
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Pergamos

Minority and Oppressed Minority are rather different and that's the crucial distinction that these folks seem to be missing.

Whites were a minority in Apartheid Era South Africa, it was still the blacks who needed more equal rights. 

Salty

72% and *shrinking*.

Maybe one day we will be less than 50%!

Then we will be, like, a super minority!
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Johnny

Quote from: Pergamos on August 02, 2013, 12:48:48 AM
Minority and Oppressed Minority are rather different and that's the crucial distinction that these folks seem to be missing.

Whites were a minority in Apartheid Era South Africa, it was still the blacks who needed more equal rights.

Im not taking a personal jab at you Permas, Im attacking the idea you are reiterating somewhat carelessly it would seem, which is that in a soon to be point whites will be a minority in America, which in reality does not seem even close to happen... and the logical consequence of it is something about reducing immigration, etc

Im sorry if im being brief, some chaps calling me to watch a movie, I can elaborate later if i wasnt clear.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Left

Funny, I thought every day was white history day and white pride day.

Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Pergamos

Quote from: The Johnny on August 02, 2013, 02:46:33 AM

Im not taking a personal jab at you Permas, Im attacking the idea you are reiterating somewhat carelessly it would seem, which is that in a soon to be point whites will be a minority in America, which in reality does not seem even close to happen... and the logical consequence of it is something about reducing immigration, etc

Im sorry if im being brief, some chaps calling me to watch a movie, I can elaborate later if i wasnt clear.

Well, the statistic you cited included white Hispanics as white, I am not sure what the ratio is when you don't do that.  Why that would justify changing immigration, or anything else of the sort, I do not know, there is nothing particularly desirable about having a white majority, even for whites.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In what way are white Hispanics non-white? :?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Is that like, how Irish aren't white, and Italians aren't white, and Polish aren't white? Or is it some other kind of non-white white?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

Quote from: Pergamos on August 02, 2013, 04:07:36 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on August 02, 2013, 02:46:33 AM

Well, the statistic you cited included white Hispanics as white, I am not sure what the ratio is when you don't do that.  Why that would justify changing immigration, or anything else of the sort, I do not know, there is nothing particularly desirable about having a white majority, even for whites.

I think it says hispanic/latino are not included whites clearly? or what am i missing?

Quote from:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_United_States#White_Americans
White Americans (non-Hispanic/Latino and Hispanic/Latino) are the racial majority, with a 72% share of the U.S. population, according to the 2010 US Census.[6] Hispanic and Latino Americans amount to 15% of the population, making up the largest minority.[5] Black Americans are the largest racial minority, amounting to nearly 13% of the population.[4][6] The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 63% of the nation's total.[5]

-B.F. Skinner

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on August 02, 2013, 05:59:40 AM
Is that like, how Irish aren't white, and Italians aren't white, and Polish aren't white? Or is it some other kind of non-white white?

Jews?

Pæs

Pergamos, can you define the word "minority" as used in this conversation?