News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

White Student Union forms at Georgia State

Started by Suu, August 01, 2013, 11:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pergamos

Quote from: Pæs on August 02, 2013, 06:40:39 AM
Pergamos, can you define the word "minority" as used in this conversation?

group that is less than half of the total.

So whites are in fact a minority of the students of Georgia State, being only 38% of the student body.  Meanwhile as a percentage of American Citizens whites will remain the majority for a few more decades.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on August 01, 2013, 11:27:47 PM
I know, FOX link, bear with me, but naturally it WOULD be the first to break this.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/01/georgia-state-student-forms-white-student-union/

QuoteFreshman Patrick Sharp says he started the club so that students of European and Euro-American descent can celebrate their shared history and culture. He said members can also discuss issues that affect white people, such as immigration and affirmative action.

:kingmeh:

What shared history and culture? Europe's a checkerboard of countries that have unique histories and don't even speak the same fucking language. "Euro-American" history is one long string of we don't like these new white people, let's fuck them over. Issues that affect white people? Like what, getting a literal get out of jail free card in some cases where a black person who committed the same crime will be essentially punished for the both of them? Fucking idiots.

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on August 02, 2013, 05:59:40 AM
Is that like, how Irish aren't white, and Italians aren't white, and Polish aren't white? Or is it some other kind of non-white white?

Sometimes we aren't. Depends on if we were out in the sun for longer than 3 minutes.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Pæs

Quote from: Pergamos on August 02, 2013, 06:48:08 AM

So whites are in fact a minority of the students of Georgia State, being only 38% of the student body.  Meanwhile as a percentage of American Citizens whites will remain the majority for a few more decades.

This may cause some communicative issues with people who are using  definition of the term as it is commonly used in the social sciences, where a "minority" group has been described as "a group of people who, because of their physical or cultural characteristics, are singled out from the others in the society in which they live for differential and unequal treatment, and who therefore regard themselves as objects of collective discrimination."

Britannica.com says "a culturally, ethnically, or racially distinct group that coexists with but is subordinate to a more dominant group. As the term is used in the social sciences, this subordinancy is the chief defining characteristic of a minority group. As such, minority status does not necessarily correlate to population. In some cases one or more so-called minority groups may have a population many times the size of the dominating group, as was the case in South Africa under apartheid".

Maybe taboo the word "minority" and people can find  different way to express what they're trying to say.

East Coast Hustle

From a layman's perspective, the social sciences "definition" of the word seems pretty retarded. Oppressed =/= minority.

(cue somebody with an emotionally-loaded frame of reference regarding the term "minority" telling me what a privileged and insensitive asshole I am)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Johnny

Minority tends to go hand-in-hand with being opressed, but yeah, the term itself "minority" is a purely quantitative designation of a group being less than the "majority".

So i suggest making a distinction between a TENDENCY and an EQUIVALENCE for clear communication's sake, in other words, let's consider "minority" a purely numerical category.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Pæs

Quote from: Balls Wellington on August 02, 2013, 07:51:33 AM
From a layman's perspective, the social sciences "definition" of the word seems pretty retarded. Oppressed =/= minority.

(cue somebody with an emotionally-loaded frame of reference regarding the term "minority" telling me what a privileged and insensitive asshole I am)

I think it's more a term used to say a group has the minority share of the social power, rather than fewer people.

The Johnny

Quote from: Pæs on August 02, 2013, 08:17:09 AM

I think it's more a term used to say a group has the minority share of the social power, rather than fewer people.

LMAO i eat my own words

QuoteUsage of the term is applied to various situations and civilizations within history, despite its popular mis-association with a numerical, statistical minority.

So let everyone use its own definition, as long as its clearly stated, since both numerical and social power are valid meanings.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Junkenstein

It gets even more retarded. Look at say, the EDL. They bitch in a most hilarious fashion because they seem to think they're an oppressed majority. Add a feeling that THEY are becoming the majority and you get all sorts of nonsense.

I think it's some kind of fear reaction. New-don't understand-ok as long as there's only one or two in a ghetto somewhere. As the numbers increase, the phobia increases.

Also, Vice did a couple of excellent articles on the OP.
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/vice-news/white-student-union
(Video link, article below)

Quoteatthew Heimbach insists he's not a racist. This comes as a surprise to his fellow students at Towson University, in the suburbs of Baltimore, where Matthew has formed a group called the White Student Union that advocates for "persons of European heritage"—what most of us call "white people." It also comes as a surprise to the African American students who feel targeted by the night patrols the senior history major began conducting in March. The patrols target supposed "black predators," Matthew wrote on the WSU's website, citing (among others) a case in which an African American man pulled out a knife and his penis, and wagged both at a co-ed couple who were copulating in a parking garage. "White Southern men," he wrote, "have long been called to defend their communities when law enforcement and the State seem unwilling to protect our people."

Also surprised by Matthew's claim that he's not a racist is Duane Davis. "You are a fat, racist little bitch," the scrappy, dreadlocked man told Matthew one sunny Tuesday this April. There was a rally going on, organized by the Student Government Association and the Black Student Union. In a field behind Duane and Matthew, about 100 students protested the White Student Union by reading unity-themed slam poetry from a microphone. When Matthew showed up on the edge of the crowd, a dozen protesters had come to confront him. Down the façade of a parking garage, a banner unfurled reading, WSU GTFO (translation: White Student Union Get the Fuck Out).

QuoteMatthew has the look of someone who's been bullied his whole life: he puffs out his chest to hide an abundant belly, wears unfashionable drugstore spectacles, and on this day sported what vaguely resembled a Morrissey T-shirt.

"Who is that on your shirt?" Duane said, jabbing Matthew in the chest. The onlookers leaned in to hear the answer.

"Ian Smith," Matthew said, before rattling off the biography of the former prime minister of Rhodesia, a white supremacist who resisted efforts to end white rule there in the 60s. "He's one of my heroes."

A svelte woman in a dashiki interrupted. "If you were dying and needed a heart transplant," she asked, "would you accept one from a black person?"

Matthew was silent. He cracked an awkward smile. From the microphone, the lyrics to John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance" were heard.

QuoteBut at the conference, Jared, who looks a bit like Ted Danson and is a fan of foppish sport coats and collared shirts, dropped his polished tone for a more incendiary message. When he asked the 150 or so people there how many were first-time attendees, more than half raised their hands. From a stage, he explained the ultimate goal of his efforts. "We want a homeland where we are a majority," he said. "We have a government of traitors... White people who express a desire for a homeland are labeled as haters." He ended his speech to applause: "Think of secession...Think of hometowns. We have to build them ourselves... Survival is the first law. We have no choice but to keep fighting."

Matthew had flown down from Baltimore to attend. He stood up and asked a question. "The federal government will continue its genocide of our people," he said. "Where should we go? What's the best way to create a homeland?"

"It will work itself out organically in ways we can't predict," Jared responded. "White anger may erupt in places we haven't heard of."

Quote"We're heading toward a dissolution of the United States," Paddy told his fellow patrollers. "But in a sense, that could be for the better because it may lead to a white ethno-state. That's ultimately what we want. We want an ethno-state for our people, a strong nation-state that's well-defended but at peace with the world."

"What would the criteria of citizenship be for this ethno-state?" I asked.

"I'm just going to come out and say it," Paddy said. "The criteria of citizenship would be based on race. It would be based on [being] white. Absolutely. One hundred percent."

I turned to Matthew. In the spiritedness of the moment, the group seemed to be dropping its restrained tone. And Matthew was worked up, too. "If there are white people... who want to remain in this multicultural cesspool," he said, "let them. We don't want them. Let us mind our own business. Let us stand up for our own people, and create our own nation and new homeland for Europeans around the entire globe. So give us a homeland, and if you want to sell yourself and your children down the river of multiculturalism, you can do so."

After that, on the way back to the parking garage to get our cars and call it a night, we finally witnessed a crime. We came upon three white students on a dark path, obviously engaged in a drug deal.

"Look at that," Paddy said as we watched the transaction.

"And everyone tries to say there's no crime at Towson," Matthew said, shaking his head. "This is not a safe campus."

"What are you going to do?" I asked.

No one intervened.

Short version seems to be the standard idiot fascist agenda with marginally better PR but still not enough sense to actually disguise the bigoted nature of the thing.

On a lighter note, I really wish people who insist on having a "100% white" state or somesuch idiocy take an immediate and public DNA test to determine that there has never been anything other than 100% whiteness in their heritage.

Failure must result in public apology or suicide.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Johnny

There's fair points in those articles Junken, but, do you happen to notice all the ad-hominem attacks? That kind of bothers me because how he dresses or looks shouldn't be a factor, we're talking about racism, not fashion sense.

-B.F. Skinner

Junkenstein

Fair point. I tend to let those slide because, vice. I probably let those through a little easier as insults in an article about guys like these. Will pay more attention to that in the future, thanks.

Just taking the bare facts and quotes is damning enough really. Will try and stick to that a little more with Vice posts.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on August 01, 2013, 11:49:05 PM
Wasn't there already a thread on this here? Or did I see it somewhere else? Either way . . . Georgia is a screwy place. It's trying too hard to be Tucson.

Running too fast the wrong direction.  While racism exists here, as it exists everywhere, it isn't the principle driving force in our problems.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

"Multicultural cesspool."

:lulz:

You guys do see what's going on here, right?
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

Quote from: stelz on August 02, 2013, 04:08:13 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 02, 2013, 03:15:03 PM
"Multicultural cesspool."

:lulz:

You guys do see what's going on here, right?

Yep.  :x

It's basically 3 generations of pants-shitting fear breaking loose because the Zimmerman verdict has made them feel like their time has come.  There are many fires in the hills, and the hooting of the po'buckers is deafeningly shrill.  But the truth is that their day is over, which is why they're scared.  Demographics clearly state which direction things are headed, and these pinheads are absolutely terrified that 400+ years of abuse may finally come home to say "hello".

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pergamos on August 02, 2013, 06:48:08 AM

Well, then.

Let's say you have 3 subgroups:

Whites at 38%
Blacks at 30%
Hispanics at 28%
Asians at 4%

Who is the majority?
Molon Lube