News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Kafka's The Trial -- LIVE ON TOUR

Started by Triple Zero, October 13, 2011, 07:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Am unsure whether this has been discussed yet:

NYTimes Sues The Federal Government For Refusing To Reveal Its Secret Interpretation Of The PATRIOT Act
from the secret-laws-and-secret-interpretations dept

We've been covering for a while now how Senators Ron Wyden and Mark Udall have been very concerned over the secret interpretation the feds have of one piece of the PATRIOT Act. They've been trying to pressure the government into publicly explaining how they interpret the law, because they believe that it directly contrasts how most of the public (and many elected officials) believe the feds are interpreting the law. While the two Senators continue to put pressure on the feds and to hint at the feds' interpretation, just the fact that the government won't even explain its own interpretation of the law seems ridiculous.

(click for rest of article)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Briefly,but another discussion doesn't hurt.

And yeah. As I understand it, the secrecy part deals with how the powers under the Patriot Act are interpreted - basically, the government can actually do a whole lot more than the text of the law suggests.  Secret laws...that's a really bad sign though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hmmm, yeah. Secret laws, or secretiveness about how they interpret and enforce the laws, are kind of a giant red flag of corruption.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."