News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Four kinds of love

Started by Bu🤠ns, May 18, 2012, 06:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimetheus

Shouldn't #4 be rephrased as Loving self for the benefit of others?

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on May 19, 2012, 06:28:53 AM
I am not sure I'm on board with typifying these "types of love" at all.

This
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Good Reverend Roger

How about "Love for the sake of nookie"?

Because it would be inaccurate to leave that one out.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Epimetheus on June 05, 2012, 03:38:51 AM

This

I sort of agree with the idea that it's needless to typify love. But it does provide a good model for stopping and saying 'hey what's going on with my life' especially if you're not great at really understanding your own thoughts and feelings.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Bu🤠ns

This

oops! thanks for the call out!

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 05, 2012, 03:48:08 AM

That would be #1 and/or #2 ... although I'd like to see it for #3.  "I will do you for your own good"

eta:
Okay i was trying to be funny and just realized that could possibly be rape if not done in a consentual light hearted way. lol..

nm me, i just worked like 12 hours...

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Placid Dingo on June 05, 2012, 05:36:04 AM

This

I sort of agree with the idea that it's needless to typify love. But it does provide a good model for stopping and saying 'hey what's going on with my life' especially if you're not great at really understanding your own thoughts and feelings.

I don't think it's NECESSARY to typify it...I'm just doing it because I enjoy these types of ideas.  For the fun of it. :)

The positive side effect, I've found, was dropping a sense of guilt I've felt whenever I'd try to improve myself.  I always felt it was 'selfish' but now I see the benefit of doing that...

Epimetheus

It's okay and interesting to organize information about behavior patterns. But if you commit too seriously to a certain number and order of Types, then you're ill-prepared to respond to the reality of an ever-changing and fluctuating spectrum of human behavior/feelings.

Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 05, 2012, 05:44:28 AM
The positive side effect, I've found, was dropping a sense of guilt I've felt whenever I'd try to improve myself.  I always felt it was 'selfish' but now I see the benefit of doing that...

It's true, improving yourself in a proper manner will, in a roundabout way, help others.
Then again, if you see the benefit of improving yourself because it helps others, then you are actually valuing the sake of the others. :P

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Epimetheus on June 05, 2012, 06:57:55 AM
It's okay and interesting to organize information about behavior patterns. But if you commit too seriously to a certain number and order of Types, then you're ill-prepared to respond to the reality of an ever-changing and fluctuating spectrum of human behavior/feelings.

That's a good point. I can think of many occurrences in my life and in others' where I've seen an abundance of structure weaken that primal sense of spontaneity.  See: Aneristic Illusion etc etc.

Quote from: Epimetheus on June 05, 2012, 06:57:55 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 05, 2012, 05:44:28 AM

It's true, improving yourself in a proper manner will, in a roundabout way, help others.
Then again, if you see the benefit of improving yourself because it helps others, then you are actually valuing the sake of the others. :P

I don't think that's so bad.  I'm about thirty-one now and for the past year I've decided it was time to finally formulate my own Purpose (perhaps even to a higher ideal ... but that just sounds kinda silly).  I call it my Master Plan (perhaps that's even sillier).  And something I've recognized as a component to that is a certain degree of service to others.  Maybe that's just the father in me.

One thing that does seem to make sense is that without others, I don't think I'd have quite the same sense of self (if any) that I do.  And so removing others from that equation, I'd also be removing a key component to my own sense of self. 

So why not? They say if you want to learn something really well, teach it.  Sounds like a good plan to me. :)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 05, 2012, 05:40:57 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 05, 2012, 03:48:08 AM

That would be #1 and/or #2 ... although I'd like to see it for #3.  "I will do you for your own good"

eta:
Okay i was trying to be funny and just realized that could possibly be rape if not done in a consentual light hearted way. lol..

nm me, i just worked like 12 hours...

And even if it isn't, glands like mine need THEIR OWN definition of love.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Epimetheus

Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 06, 2012, 05:05:30 AM
I don't think that's so bad.

I didn't mean to say it's bad. Just pointing out a slight paradox.