News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Gender Through Comic Books

Started by Faust, March 26, 2013, 10:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

There is a course starting next week for roughly a month on the Above subject.

Gender is a topic that crops up around here from time to time and when I saw this course was on I figured what better way to broaden my mind then to enrol.

I've followed the work of some of the people teaching the course over the last few years and it's an opportunity to read more from the ones that I haven't.

I figured some of the people here would be interested, so if there are any interesting pieces and the tutors ok me to talk about share them here I'll be posting more.

This will be the first literary analysis course I will have been on, and the first non science/engineering/management thing I've done since secondary school so it will be a change and if I am a little cumbersome that's why.

The module titles are as follows:

• What is gender? Theories and views.
  • Gender and Culture: How we learn our gender
  • Who is producing comic book culture?
  • Femininity
  • Masculinity
  • Gendered Spaces and Consuming Comics
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Juana

Ooh, please do share whatever they OK! That looks like it should be very interesting.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Pope Pixie Pickle

:does squeeing happy dance:

WANT

Faust

Day one: Just found out the Bechdel test which I've seen come up in discussions about gender in media on several occasions is actually named after one of my favourite comic writers Alison Bechdel, last year I read Fun Home and Are You My Mother? and they were easily the most emotionally engaging books I read all year.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,31314.msg1222149.html#msg1222149

Faust

Interview with Terry Moore this evening was really interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xo5x9TLmBjo#!

So far my findings with the course are that the material is interesting but the discussion system to talk to the other classmates is really lacking.

Their message board has a fixed position first message goes to the top style, as opposed to most recent or aggregated. No way to find out if anyone has responded to you without searching for your name as well. Needs improvement next year.

Pope Pixie Pickle

i loved Strangers In Paradise, so I shall be checking out the vid when my dongle springs back to life.

I loved the high drama and convoluted plot. I loved the realness of how Francine was drawn and not being standard size according to comic book and western standards of beauty and Katchoo's small and angry.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If my dongle sprang to life, I'm sure I'd be checking vids out too.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Quote from: Pixie on April 05, 2013, 12:13:47 AM
i loved Strangers In Paradise, so I shall be checking out the vid when my dongle springs back to life.

I loved the high drama and convoluted plot. I loved the realness of how Francine was drawn and not being standard size according to comic book and western standards of beauty and Katchoo's small and angry.

francine is adorable,  and in a lot of ways got her head screwed on bettee then katchoo. despite always bwinh kind of a doormat for the men in her life when she wants to be assertive she outdoes Katchoo.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Faust on April 04, 2013, 10:54:53 PM
Interview with Terry Moore this evening was really interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xo5x9TLmBjo#!

So far my findings with the course are that the material is interesting but the discussion system to talk to the other classmates is really lacking.

Their message board has a fixed position first message goes to the top style, as opposed to most recent or aggregated. No way to find out if anyone has responded to you without searching for your name as well. Needs improvement next year.

Fuck. Video gone :(

Faust

Yeah, the mark waid one was locked to a specific page and it was REALLY good.

Especially talking about Ma Kents role as an as assertive figure that shaped Clarks Superman Persona.

The long and short of it is that she was generally just a loving but background character for most superman stories. In birthright that is turned around. Pa Kent teaches his son a lot of his morality and gentleness, but it's his mother that teaches him to be assertive and get involved. Pa kent doesn't understand what it means for Clark to be what he is, he raises him as a human son and that's that.

The line that stuck with me the most was That just as every mother raising a brilliantly gifted child, intelligent or athletic they want to learn more to help them achieve their full potential.
So she researches aliens and alien culture and can basically explain to him his Kyrptonian heritage, she even comes up with the idea of the red suit from drawings of Kryptonians in his ship.

A story he wasn't allowed to make but sounds amazing is Ma Kent leading her son to Area 51 where the two would break in and find out what the government knows about aliens.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Faust on April 17, 2013, 01:01:02 PM
Yeah, the mark waid one was locked to a specific page and it was REALLY good.

Especially talking about Ma Kents role as an as assertive figure that shaped Clarks Superman Persona.

The long and short of it is that she was generally just a loving but background character for most superman stories. In birthright that is turned around. Pa Kent teaches his son a lot of his morality and gentleness, but it's his mother that teaches him to be assertive and get involved. Pa kent doesn't understand what it means for Clark to be what he is, he raises him as a human son and that's that.

The line that stuck with me the most was That just as every mother raising a brilliantly gifted child, intelligent or athletic they want to learn more to help them achieve their full potential.
So she researches aliens and alien culture and can basically explain to him his Kyrptonian heritage, she even comes up with the idea of the red suit from drawings of Kryptonians in his ship.

A story he wasn't allowed to make but sounds amazing is Ma Kent leading her son to Area 51 where the two would break in and find out what the government knows about aliens.

:) shame I missed it

Faust

>.>
<.<

I'll see if there is something I can do.

Faust

The lectures and interviews are now up on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6FLyprjENE_akkaebX3ougFZdZbFJVh-

There not all there though which is annoying and I'm not sure if it's fair for me to redistribute these by uploading them. So instead the following interviews are available on request.

Brian Bendis
Felicia Day
Gail Simone
Greg Rucka
Mark Waid
Jonathan Hickman
Marvel Team Interview

Pope Pixie Pickle