News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

MMO GASM

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, March 22, 2008, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Well, it's high time I posted something here so I've decided to start something with MMOs.

There are a fuckload of these things out there and all of them seem to offer free trials. Some of them are more lulzier than others.

For refence, the following seem to be ripe for the picking:
hXXp://www.furcadia.com/download/ <- FURRIES (need I say more?)
hXXps://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/trial/index.htm <- Fantasy (Works on Windows/Mac)
hXXps://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?aid=102321&bid=&nogreet=1 <- Sci-Fi (works on Windows/Mac/Linux, does not require a real e-mail and I've led a few successful raids with some anons I rounded up)

Messier Undertree

Any specific plans?

I'd be up for doing something in MMOs, but I'm not sure I can stomach Furcadia.

Cain

I cant stomach Furcadia either, and I dont have any WoW games at all.

A fair few of us have Neverwinter Nights, as I recall, and Ratatosk has mentioned setting up a guild or something.  That might be a good place to start.  Its also fairly cheap, since its been out for a few years now, and should run like a dream on any decent home computer.

barumunk

i play wow... so im keen.

though im not addicted enough to play in the pay servers, only the hackt ones like wowscape or aleajecta.

but im keen :)

"For it is with the mysteries of our religion, as with wholesome pills for the sick, which swallowed whole, have the virtue to cure; but chewed, are for the most part cast up again without effect." Thomas Hobbes

I was always taught to chew everything before i swallow.

Quote from: davedim on March 22, 2008, 01:16:01 PM
Any specific plans?

I'd be up for doing something in MMOs, but I'm not sure I can stomach Furcadia.

That's entirely up to you guys. I'm just throwing the idea out there as MMOs are ripe for this sort of shit. I don't know how much I'll be able to participate. Some of you may have noticed I haven't been around much (due to IRL demands).

I would suggest the following traits for selecting MMO(s) to have fun with:
1) Free and easy to sign up for
2) Easy to run (preferrably OS agnostic)
3) Has a rabid fan base

Some MMOs can be efficiently trolled by a small group (EVE appears to be one of them from my experience, easily text flooded, easy to use ASCII art, and it already seems to be relatively dense with /b/ tards), others will take large numbers (Furcadia comes to mind, perhaps we should bring this to the attention of Anonymous and GNAA).

The first order of business would probably be hitting teh Google and finding as many cheap MMOs as you can. The big ones (like WOW) will be harder to troll as there is a large population and a reasonably effective moderation system in place, the smaller ones tend to be less heavily moderated as well as poorly coded (exploits may be exploited to lulz some lulz, lulz ). The smaller ones also seem to have a very loyal fan base that takes offense to anyone making light of their beloved game.

Of course, a lot of what goes into deciding what to go for will depend on the techniques you want to use. If you want to turn the players against the company, selecting a game with heavy-handed moderation might be your best choice. If you want quick easy lulz, the opposite, etc.

Like I said though, it's entirely up to you guys.

Quote from: barumunk on March 25, 2008, 03:37:56 PM

though im not addicted enough to play in the pay servers, only the hackt ones like wowscape or aleajecta.

Hacked ones?

Care to elaborate?

Messier Undertree

Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on March 27, 2008, 03:53:43 AM
Hacked ones?

Care to elaborate?

I'm assuming he means private servers with no monthly fees?

barumunk

Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on March 27, 2008, 03:53:43 AM
Quote from: barumunk on March 25, 2008, 03:37:56 PM

Hacked ones?

Care to elaborate?

hhehehehe yeah by hackt, i meant cracked :D
ie private (moderately buggy, but free) wow servers

wowscape ±3000 pop.
aleajecta  ±100 pop.

"For it is with the mysteries of our religion, as with wholesome pills for the sick, which swallowed whole, have the virtue to cure; but chewed, are for the most part cast up again without effect." Thomas Hobbes

I was always taught to chew everything before i swallow.

Oh yeah, that reminds me: Lineage 2 (that game Horab was obsessed with) I think has free servers too. Aurora? Borealis? Something with a name like that.

GIGGLES

RUNESCAPE: EVERYONE GET BANNED FROM IT!

bringdownthesystem

Indeed, Runescape seems a prime choice to me. Sad I was actually enjoying it for a time before I found REAL mmorpg's.... :sad:

Xooxe

Messier Undertree

I suggest a private Ragnarok Online server.

I mean, we do have Liquid Echo on our side.

Where the hell has Echo been anyways? I haven't seen him in a while. Then again, I guess I haven't been here too often.

Let's start looking for poorly administered ragnarok online servers.

atrasicarius

I'm up for hitting runescape. That game pisses me off to no end. Plans?
"The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein