Main Menu

I Have Some Life-Changing Decisions to Make

Started by POFP, June 14, 2015, 07:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Don Coyote on June 15, 2015, 05:17:51 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 15, 2015, 05:03:54 AM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on June 14, 2015, 07:26:28 AM
The problem is, regardless of branch and job, even if you get what you want in paper/contract, it is quite apparent that this administration does not respect the military as much as it should, considering its cuts in benefits and funding, and absurd disrespect for Veterans.

You're an idiot.  That's congress fucking the military.  The president doesn't decide on funding.

Jesus H Christ.

A republican congress using the military as a fucking hostage. And by military I mean the actual troops, not any other military spending.

Yep.  I don't expect Poo to manage the distinction, though.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 15, 2015, 05:32:21 AM
The problem is, regardless of branch and job, even if you get what you want in paper/contract, it is quite apparent that this administration does not respect the military as much as it should, considering its cuts in benefits and funding, and absurd disrespect for Veterans.

You're an idiot.  That's congress fucking the military.  The president doesn't decide on funding.

Jesus H Christ.

A republican congress using the military as a fucking hostage. And by military I mean the actual troops, not any other military spending.

But he has a projected ASVAB of 89. Nevermind that ASVAB score has nothing to do with nothing and it's line scores that matter, barely, or that my ASVAB score is a 99. I'm probably one of the Army's smartest supply geeks  :horrormirth:

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Fernando Poo on June 14, 2015, 07:21:47 PM
I also always wanted military training of some sort. And it's a system that gives you discipline - Something just about everyone needs a bit more of, IMO.
Learn a martial art. All the discipline and focus without the possibility of PTSD
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

POFP

Quote from: Rev Thwack on June 15, 2015, 02:17:41 AM
I spent 5 years active duty Army starting during the George W. administration....

One, you're mistaken if you think this administration is worse for the troops than the three prior Republican administrations.

Two, in any branch except for the Marines, if your contact specifies a job then you get that job, barring you doing something stupid like washing out of schooling.

Three, unless you end up with one or two select jobs as a member of one or two select units, you're not going to find out some sort of inside information that the public doesn't know. Most classified information is pretty dull and isn't related to what you seem to be looking for.

Three, the jobs your taking about are not going to leave you out in the sandbox playing the role of a pop up target. Eggheads get left inside the wire, half the time in an air conditioned building nestled gently in the SCIF.

Four, the wars are ending man. Unless a Republican takes over and preemptively starts more shit, chances of you hitting a combat zone are really low (except South Korea).

Five, the purpose of the military isn't what you imagine. Yes, you are trained to accept and react to orders of those above you, yet you're also trained in the difference between a lawful and unlawful order (and to not follow unlawful ones), and they look to keep creativity/originality in troops, plus fostering leadership skills/mindset. This country has learned a lot about what not to do from dealing with the Russians for so many years. You're better off with troops who know how to take over once half their squad has been blown away then having mindless robots.

Six, I've seen nothing indicating you'd have a good time in the service. Certain types of people have it rough without a few specific tricks, and I'm not about to go into further detail because I doubt you'd believe what I've got to say I'm the subject, and because I personally would find it more amusing to hear of you failing.

Points taken. And it's alright, other people have probably already stated what you haven't yet, in regards to the service's effects on me.But I wasn't aware that there were specific tricks.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 15, 2015, 03:57:11 AM
May I recommend spending a year doing physical labor, and then going to college?

This was already a possibility. I've got the year of physical labor under my belt already. I've got a certification in Microsoft Excel (All three levels? I'll have to check again.) and ITIL Foundations, which came from a technology grant I acquired right after high school. So I don't know if I'll go to college considering I have access to a lot of entry level jobs with growth potential, just by having the Microsoft Excel cert and a technology background.

Also, I think physical labor makes you dumber in some aspects (Maybe it was just the kinds of labor jobs I was doing.), but smarter in others. By that I mean, I'm probably more coordinated and athletic than I've ever been, but I can't do shit with computers, compared to what I used to.

Jesus H Christ.

I'm quite new to this subject. Stating that I'm an idiot while providing a correction is redundant.

That's an interesting idea though (I mean your point about Congress), I'll look more into it.

Jesus H Christ.

Oh, then almost every right-winger I know is completely misinformed on the - Ohhhhhhhh, I see now  :lulz:

Quote from: Don Coyote on June 15, 2015, 05:44:21 AM

Jesus H Christ.

But he has a projected ASVAB of 89. Nevermind that ASVAB score has nothing to do with nothing and it's line scores that matter, barely, or that my ASVAB score is a 99. I'm probably one of the Army's smartest supply geeks  :horrormirth:

I was simply told that anything above 80 would get you any kind of entry job you wanted. Is that not the job you chose? Or did you not choose, allowing them to give you whatever?

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on June 15, 2015, 09:11:32 AM

Quote from: Fernando Poo on June 14, 2015, 07:21:47 PM
I also always wanted military training of some sort. And it's a system that gives you discipline - Something just about everyone needs a bit more of, IMO.
Learn a martial art. All the discipline and focus without the possibility of PTSD

Actually, this is already in the works. I start at the Bujinkan dojo as soon as I get my desk job. I've practiced a bit before as well.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Don Coyote

Wow.

Quote from: Fernando Poo on June 15, 2015, 04:14:55 PM

This was already a possibility. I've got the year of physical labor under my belt already. I've got a certification in Microsoft Excel (All three levels? I'll have to check again.) and ITIL Foundations, which came from a technology grant I acquired right after high school. So I don't know if I'll go to college considering I have access to a lot of entry level jobs with growth potential, just by having the Microsoft Excel cert and a technology background.

Also, I think physical labor makes you dumber in some aspects (Maybe it was just the kinds of labor jobs I was doing.), but smarter in others. By that I mean, I'm probably more coordinated and athletic than I've ever been, but I can't do shit with computers, compared to what I used to.

Please don't try to join. Physical labor doesn't make you dumber. You not practicing your technical skills made you dumber.

Jesus H Christ.

I'm quite new to this subject. Stating that I'm an idiot while providing a correction is redundant.

That's an interesting idea though (I mean your point about Congress), I'll look more into it.

Jesus H Christ.

Oh, then almost every right-winger I know is completely misinformed on the - Ohhhhhhhh, I see now  :lulz:

Most right-wingers are pre-rich dumbasses that think the GOP has their best interests at heart and anything the goes wrong has to be the fault of the liberal Muslim black man in the white house.

Jesus H Christ.

I was simply told that anything above 80 would get you any kind of entry job you wanted. Is that not the job you chose? Or did you not choose, allowing them to give you whatever?

All of that is easily google-able. But short answer, your ASVAB score, which is a single two digit number means shit to the military. Each service uses different portions of the test to generate their own two or three digit scores to asses your trainability in certain fields, which they use to determine what jobs they will bother sending you to school for. And you can only pick from the jobs they are offering at the time., and some jobs have moral and physical qualifications.

Actually, this is already in the works. I start at the Bujinkan dojo as soon as I get my desk job. I've practiced a bit before as well.

:lulz:

Cain

Eh, if it's for fitness and discipline only, I suppose Bunjikan could be OK.  Overpriced, but that's gyms and training all over IMO.

However, if you want a martial art with some practical element, especially for self-defence purposes, I would definitely agree with Coyote.

POFP

To Don (Doing it this way because the quoting was fucky because you accidentally deleted a quote definition line or something. No biggy tho <3 ) :

You're right. It was me not practicing the technical skills, not the labor.

That sounds like right-wingers, alright.

Oh, yeah. The recruiter went into that a little bit. But it was awhile ago. And also, he left out some shit as well. Fuckers make it seem like the military is the like the best and clearest employer out there, telling you everything you should know about their system in regards to making sure your life isn't fucked over by a little bit of misinformation.

I would've expected a bit more truth out of the recruiters in my area, though. I live in Patriot town, home of people who would love to kick in doors for country. They fill any quotas they are given within a week. They would generally have no reason to flat out lie and omit important details, unless of course they get some sort of commission?

To Both Cain, and Don:

I know the Bujinkan isn't a form of self-defense. Nor is it 100% reputable or 100% historical. But, for the most part, it strays from fraudulence, which is something to be proud of considering that most modern martial arts are 100% fraudulent. The Bujinkan doesn't lie about their lineage. Most of the instructors and people who run it are quite aware of the possibility that the supposed lineage has some non-truth in it. Also, I am aware that the martial art is outdated. I just find it to be an entertaining and unique martial art.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Doktor Howl

No, it isn't.  I occasionally correct people without saying they're idiots.  Nigel and Cain correct me all the time without saying I'm an idiot.

You basically repeated the Fox News/Rush Limbaugh narrative as if it were true.  Guess what that makes you?
Molon Lube

POFP

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 15, 2015, 05:58:47 PM

No, it isn't.  I occasionally correct people without saying they're idiots.  Nigel and Cain correct me all the time without saying I'm an idiot.

You basically repeated the Fox News/Rush Limbaugh narrative as if it were true.  Guess what that makes you?

Misinformed.

I can only use the information I have. I am completely open to new information. Last I checked, that makes someone not an idiot. I'm not necessarily claiming I'm not an idiot, because I very well could be. But using limited knowledge in a discussion meant to increase one's knowledge does not make one an idiot.

Most of the political shit I hear is tainted by Republican rhetoric because of the people I'm surrounded by. Hearing something other than Republican rhetoric takes some getting used to.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fernando Poo on June 15, 2015, 06:13:38 PM

Misinformed.

That's one way to say it, yes.

Quote from: Fernando Poo on June 15, 2015, 06:13:38 PMI can only use the information I have.

No.  You can go check the narrative against the facts.  In this case, it's an easy trip down memory lane, to 7th grade social studies.
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

Some education in Civics and US Constitutional law would be a really great start. It would put you well ahead of most Americans, really.

POFP

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 15, 2015, 06:28:19 PM

Misinformed.

That's one way to say it, yes.

Quote from: Fernando Poo on June 15, 2015, 06:13:38 PMI can only use the information I have.

No.  You can go check the narrative against the facts.  In this case, it's an easy trip down memory lane, to 7th grade social studies.

My point was, I didn't have the information that would be derived from that comparison because I didn't make that comparison. I guess my mistake was choosing not to look up this information beforehand. However, figuring out new information was the entire point of this thread. This thread is serving its purpose. I am learning new information, including the information you've so kindly handed me.

Thank you.

And that's not sarcasm. I really thank you for the information, or at least the suggestion that will push me to look up the information.

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 15, 2015, 06:30:46 PM
Some education in Civics and US Constitutional law would be a really great start. It would put you well ahead of most Americans, really.

Good point. I also probably should've paid more attention in AP Government.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Misinformed.

I can only use the information I have. I am completely open to new information. Last I checked, that makes someone not an idiot. I'm not necessarily claiming I'm not an idiot, because I very well could be. But using limited knowledge in a discussion meant to increase one's knowledge does not make one an idiot.

Most of the political shit I hear is tainted by Republican rhetoric because of the people I'm surrounded by. Hearing something other than Republican rhetoric takes some getting used to.

You are smart enough to seek out more information.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You are incorrect. You are drawing a misleading correlation between letting one skill stagnate and exercising another.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

POFP

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 15, 2015, 06:40:50 PM

Misinformed.

You are smart enough to seek out more information.

I agree. I was just clarifying that just because I hadn't, doesn't mean I couldn't or wouldn't. "Idiotic" generally points to the latter.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 15, 2015, 06:45:48 PM

You are incorrect. You are drawing a misleading correlation between letting one skill stagnate and exercising another.

Yes, Don brought this up earlier. You are both right.