News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Chasing Eris

Started by Placid Dingo, June 29, 2012, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payne

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 27, 2013, 06:51:45 PM
Quote from: Payne on November 27, 2013, 06:48:13 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 27, 2013, 06:42:21 PM
Solid footing is for those who lack the guts to run downhill on ice.

Back in my day, it was uphill both ways, and the ice was twice as slippery and half as warm.

I love reading me some History, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to write it.

And while I love History I reckon it has a tendency to ossify and deaden the blood, guts and rages of the times. Regardless of how Pineal ones view of what Discordia is, this is a terrible thing to do it. Nevermind that I have never had much adoration or abhoration of the early Discordians, and therefore don't see why they would make good biography fodder.

Because the people doing the writing get to show off that they've MET the old dudes.

Think Ben Mack.

I prefer not to, or he'll be 'round my place defending himself.

What strikes me as odd is that people who have even a passing familiarity with this forum ought to know how we tend to treat those who want to be taken SeriouslyTM.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Pæs

LOOK AT THIS STONED HOBBIT.

He doesn't want anyone standing on his shoulders. Hippies like this grinning little dude are coming up with complex and batshit mythologies all the damn time and nobody pays any attention to them.

Why was Discordia different? Did these brilliant sages observe a previously unobserved phenomenon and describe it in a way which had mass popular appeal?

No, these religion was launched from obscurity into minor underground fame because when a million doped up monkeys on typewriters launch batshittery into the etherwebs for long enough, chances are that eventually one of these crazy ideas will stick. We're standing on the shoulders of a Black Swan Event which favoured these hippies for reasons totally unrelated to the quality of their work or their personalities. Sheer dumb luck made a handful of other people care about their work and fifty years later there are another couple dozen who give any fucks.

Compared countless other unknown works of similar quality, this one's ability to endure a relatively short period of time is a freak accident.

AND THAT'S THE MOST DISCORDIAN THING ABOUT IT.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Payne on November 27, 2013, 06:35:18 PM
IMO

History is required by those who desire to place themselves on solid footing, presenting a secure image (more accurately a secure self-image) to the world at large. It is needed by those who wish to be taken seriously. Some within The United States have at times been guilty of this. Discordians wishing to be taken seriously for it's own sake strikes me as odd.

A more interesting project, for me, would be a discordian reading of history. Whether one goes for the Cramulan Approach is of course entirely optional.

That's an interesting point.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 27, 2013, 06:51:45 PM
Quote from: Payne on November 27, 2013, 06:48:13 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 27, 2013, 06:42:21 PM
Solid footing is for those who lack the guts to run downhill on ice.

Back in my day, it was uphill both ways, and the ice was twice as slippery and half as warm.

I love reading me some History, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to write it.

And while I love History I reckon it has a tendency to ossify and deaden the blood, guts and rages of the times. Regardless of how Pineal ones view of what Discordia is, this is a terrible thing to do it. Nevermind that I have never had much adoration or abhoration of the early Discordians, and therefore don't see why they would make good biography fodder.

Because the people doing the writing get to show off that they've MET the old dudes.

Think Ben Mack.

Ohhhhhhh

OK, I think I get it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on November 27, 2013, 10:32:54 PM

LOOK AT THIS STONED HOBBIT.

He doesn't want anyone standing on his shoulders. Hippies like this grinning little dude are coming up with complex and batshit mythologies all the damn time and nobody pays any attention to them.

Why was Discordia different? Did these brilliant sages observe a previously unobserved phenomenon and describe it in a way which had mass popular appeal?

No, these religion was launched from obscurity into minor underground fame because when a million doped up monkeys on typewriters launch batshittery into the etherwebs for long enough, chances are that eventually one of these crazy ideas will stick. We're standing on the shoulders of a Black Swan Event which favoured these hippies for reasons totally unrelated to the quality of their work or their personalities. Sheer dumb luck made a handful of other people care about their work and fifty years later there are another couple dozen who give any fucks.

Compared countless other unknown works of similar quality, this one's ability to endure a relatively short period of time is a freak accident.

AND THAT'S THE MOST DISCORDIAN THING ABOUT IT.

:lulz: Also, this.

Bobby Campbell

I read enough of this to know that I don't know anything about it!

Though I really liked the Cramulus interview, and have a soft spot for people who make stuff, hence:

Anna Mae Bollocks

Well, that was certainly lame as fuck.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on December 20, 2013, 03:34:58 AM
I read enough of this to know that I don't know anything about it!

Though I really liked the Cramulus interview, and have a soft spot for people who make stuff, hence:

Can you give a link to the final product?

I am actually interested how it turned out. Much in the same way that I would have been interested to see how Lords of Chaos turned out knowing that Varg Vikernes was being interviewed.

Spoiler: The book started off ok, but ended up being about Vikernes.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Especially since Dingo sacrificed his standing here for journalistic integrity.

Bobby Campbell

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on December 20, 2013, 03:41:57 AM

Go fuck your mother!  :fnord:

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 03:43:50 AM

I don't think he's finished yet.  I made the image in lieu of answering e-mail interview questions.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on December 20, 2013, 03:51:11 AM
Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on December 20, 2013, 03:41:57 AM

Go fuck your mother!  :fnord:

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 03:43:50 AM

I don't think he's finished yet.  I made the image in lieu of answering e-mail interview questions.

Considering that he has in fact sacrificed his standing here, you might want to wait posting about it until we can judge the final product. You're not going to drum up a lot of enthusiasm here by posting the cover since our main concern was over content. We're not terribly excited about this project anymore and a graphic isn't going to change that.

Anna Mae Bollocks

The puppy was probably Uncle BadTouch's idea.

Bobby Campbell

Just to clarify:  This isn't an official image. I made it for fun because on the surface the project seemed pretty cool and I felt it was a fair participatory replacement to a request for an interview from Placid Dingo. I come here to find a thread which reveals there is far more backstory to this than I could ever hope to figure out.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on December 20, 2013, 04:19:24 AM
Just to clarify:  This isn't an official image. I made it for fun because on the surface the project seemed pretty cool and I felt it was a fair participatory replacement to a request for an interview from Placid Dingo. I come here to find a thread which reveals there is far more backstory to this than I could ever hope to figure out.

Oh, so you decided to make artwork for the artist on your own?