News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Suu's Low-Carb Atrocities.

Started by Suu, August 05, 2013, 04:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on August 08, 2013, 01:24:27 AM
Also, 20ppm is a residual level so small that the only way it could be guaranteed NOT to be in a product is for the product to be produced in a separate, isolated facility. It's a trace amount; for perhaps slightly better perspective, that's 1/0.000002, or 0.0002%.

That's not reassuring to someone who can have an adverse reaction to a single molecule, but for almost all purposes it is, functionally, zero. It's essentially "Oh shit, a grain of wheat got in this 50-lb sack of rice".

I'm assuming the percentage of folks with THAT severe of a disorder would probably be on a serious lookout for that, considering the consequences, but still. That makes me snarl at the FDA and USDA for even thinking it's okay. I'd want to move to Australia. Granted, labeling crap "Gluten Free!" these days is a surefire way to tap into a growing commercial market full of uneducated fad dieters, but to put those people who are actually allergic to wheat at risk? Tsk. Though ECH is right, a lawsuit would be fruitless, that is, unless a senator's wife dies or something, then maybe, just maybe...Oh who the fuck am I kidding, someone will get paid off and we'll never hear of it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on August 09, 2013, 04:37:48 AM
Also, 20ppm is a residual level so small that the only way it could be guaranteed NOT to be in a product is for the product to be produced in a separate, isolated facility. It's a trace amount; for perhaps slightly better perspective, that's 1/0.000002, or 0.0002%.

That's not reassuring to someone who can have an adverse reaction to a single molecule, but for almost all purposes it is, functionally, zero. It's essentially "Oh shit, a grain of wheat got in this 50-lb sack of rice".

I'm assuming the percentage of folks with THAT severe of a disorder would probably be on a serious lookout for that, considering the consequences, but still. That makes me snarl at the FDA and USDA for even thinking it's okay. I'd want to move to Australia. Granted, labeling crap "Gluten Free!" these days is a surefire way to tap into a growing commercial market full of uneducated fad dieters, but to put those people who are actually allergic to wheat at risk? Tsk. Though ECH is right, a lawsuit would be fruitless, that is, unless a senator's wife dies or something, then maybe, just maybe...Oh who the fuck am I kidding, someone will get paid off and we'll never hear of it.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: good luck ensuring your food has a purity of less than 20ppm "other edible contamination" anywhere. That's fucking ridiculous.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 09, 2013, 05:38:21 AM
Quote from: Suu on August 09, 2013, 04:37:48 AM

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: good luck ensuring your food has a purity of less than 20ppm "other edible contamination" anywhere. That's fucking ridiculous.

We have a hell of a time keeping metals out of ceramics at 1-20 PPM.  Good luck doing anything like that with anything organic (the real meaning of the word, I mean, not the advertising label).
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Balls Wellington on August 08, 2013, 10:22:31 AM
Indeed. But IIRC if you want to label your product "gluten free" in Australia it has to be produced in a dedicated gluten free facility with regular independent assays to confirm that the product is completely gluten free. I could be misremembering some of the details but their laws are WAY more stringent about that sort of thing, as are the EU's though to a lesser degree.

Yeah, they don't just let any old horsemeat be labeled "beef".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Did a little investigating and it turns out that the EU and the US, and most other parts of the world, set the limit at 20ppm in large part because at the time that standard was set in 2008, that was the lowest threshold at which gluten could consistently be detected. In other words, if a food contained less than 20ppm gluten, it may not have shown up at all, but if it contains more than 20ppm, it would consistently test positive. Australia and New Zealand, in response to newer more sensitive tests, revised their threshold downward to 3ppm. It's likely that the US, EU, Canada, and the other countries with a 20ppm labeling law will eventually do the same.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 09, 2013, 06:00:55 AM
Did a little investigating and it turns out that the EU and the US, and most other parts of the world, set the limit at 20ppm in large part because at the time that standard was set in 2008, that was the lowest threshold at which gluten could consistently be detected. In other words, if a food contained less than 20ppm gluten, it may not have shown up at all, but if it contains more than 20ppm, it would consistently test positive. Australia and New Zealand, in response to newer more sensitive tests, revised their threshold downward to 3ppm. It's likely that the US, EU, Canada, and the other countries with a 20ppm labeling law will eventually do the same.

That's fucking nuts. 

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Osama Bin Login on August 09, 2013, 06:01:52 AM

That's fucking nuts.

Yeah, but most people don't understand math, so...

Suu

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 09, 2013, 06:02:45 AM
Quote from: Osama Bin Login on August 09, 2013, 06:01:52 AM

That's fucking nuts.

Yeah, but most people don't understand math, so...

huh. Thanks for the info.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

I'm slacking in posting recipes, but this was tonight's meal:

Insanely easy to make. Season pork chops with salt, pepper, garlic, paprika and oregano, and put into a large frying pan to saute with some oil. Chop and throw in half a large white onion, and let it caramelize, while flipping the pork chops a couple of times to get an even cook. When you're about 50 degrees out of temp (for chops it can be 145-150) add one whole sliced red apple. Flip the chops a couple more times, flip the apples too so they get an even cook, and when the chops reach temp, remove from heat. Deglaze the rest with a splash of Kraken or Sailor Jerry, and serve on top of the chops. It takes about 15-20mins total and impresses your friends.

This is a bit higher in carbs because of the apples, but I didn't eat enough today so I had to compensate with natural sugars. It's still pretty damn healthy.