Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 26, 2014, 03:08:03 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on November 25, 2014, 08:27:39 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 25, 2014, 08:26:15 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on November 25, 2014, 08:25:34 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 25, 2014, 08:20:54 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on November 25, 2014, 08:12:55 PM
Politics and police forces are jobs people should be drafted in to. 

People who actually want those jobs should not be let within 100 feet of them.

Doesn't matter.  The job corrupts anyone who gets near it.

True.  Do you think it corrupts immediately?  I'd be in for there being a defined time limit one can work those jobs.

Had me being an asshole inside of 9 months.  Which is why I quit.

Let's say 6 months, then.  Each role has 2 people filling it per year.

Given the context in our society in which our police force exists, it would take two weeks for new draftees to be functionally corrupt.

At most.

Interestingly, you could say the same thing about racism.

Much of what I don't like about the Twitter/tumblr approach to racism, adolescent radical posturing and idiocy aside, is that it seems to assume that racism is a matter of bad intentions, and that good intentions (ie; "privilege checking") can help overcome racism.

However, racism in America is a structural problem, where good intentions or conduct literally don't matter, because it's inscribed into the functioning of the system.  Like the Slate journalist Jamelle Bouie said:

Faust

I really wish Wilson had checked his privilege after shooting that boy dead, then none of this unpleasantness would have happened.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 25, 2014, 07:47:21 PM
he is not out there to "serve and protect" (I have never heard of a police department that has that in their charter, no matter what they stencil on their squadcars)

Well, they don't really say what they may be serving and protecting...

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Cain on November 26, 2014, 08:17:27 AM

True.  Do you think it corrupts immediately?  I'd be in for there being a defined time limit one can work those jobs.

Given the context in our society in which our police force exists, it would take two weeks for new draftees to be functionally corrupt.

At most.

Much of what I don't like about the Twitter/tumblr approach to racism, adolescent radical posturing and idiocy aside, is that it seems to assume that racism is a matter of bad intentions, and that good intentions (ie; "privilege checking") can help overcome racism.

However, racism in America is a structural problem, where good intentions or conduct literally don't matter, because it's inscribed into the functioning of the system.  Like the Slate journalist Jamelle Bouie said:

I'm hating this DeBoer fella more and more with every post of his I read. It's like all he wants to do is take all my precious notions and smash them with a jackhammer.

What the hell are we supposed to do with our fingers once we figure out there's no ready place to point them?
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Cain

Use them to write five paragraph essays, of course.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

I really wish I could record my improv class and show it to y'all. The parallels with TDS are staggering.

Even had one kid respond to a note today with "well that's because I think comedy is all about pushing the EDGE!"

:kingmeh:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on November 26, 2014, 10:16:12 PM
I really wish I could record my improv class and show it to y'all. The parallels with TDS are staggering.

Even had one kid respond to a note today with "well that's because I think comedy is all about pushing the EDGE!"

Sometimes I think I need this place to realize that I don't actually hate the shit out of Discordians.

I got blocked last night by someone, initially, for pointing out that a feminized Hitler would never gaze longingly with his/her baby blue eyes into Stalin's manly matched iris-fuck. Because they hated each other. Then it just went to shit from there, with me pointing out that millions of people dying violently is never funny, and her proclaiming that unfunny humor that remains unfunny even when divorced from its historical context is how she "deals with it" like she was personally present in a concentration camp and she somehow gets a pass from getting called out on her joke not being funny from any angle...

She announced that she was going to block me because I was boring.

To which I responded, before I was blocked, "lol. good."
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

My mistake. She said I was annoying, not boring.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on November 27, 2014, 02:43:03 AM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on November 26, 2014, 10:16:12 PM

Sometimes I think I need this place to realize that I don't actually hate the shit out of Discordians.

I got blocked last night by someone, initially, for pointing out that a feminized Hitler would never gaze longingly with his/her baby blue eyes into Stalin's manly matched iris-fuck. Because they hated each other. Then it just went to shit from there, with me pointing out that millions of people dying violently is never funny, and her proclaiming that unfunny humor that remains unfunny even when divorced from its historical context is how she "deals with it" like she was personally present in a concentration camp and she somehow gets a pass from getting called out on her joke not being funny from any angle...

She announced that she was going to block me because I was boring.

To which I responded, before I was blocked, "lol. good."

Fabulous. That's right up there with the 95% straight population's annoying use of the word faggot. Oooh, WOW. How very bold of you to work so hard at taking away the power from a word that never had any FOR YOU!

Guess since we're all popes and such, we're also all black, gay, and holocaust survivors.

minuspace

Faith is often confused with intention because sub-human primates enjoy simulating concern.

Pope Pixie Pickle

:milk: :milk: :monkeydance: :pika: :pukka:

I JUST PUT THE HOLDING DEPOSIT ON A ONE BEDROOM GROUND FLOOR FLAT

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

At most.

Its not just that. Its part of a larger narrative, that the world is run by evil racist old white men, which is the cause of all our problems. So they(mostly trust fund kiddies) by checking all their privs, and purging themselves of racism are preparing to take control from ROWM and usher in the defeat of racism in our time. How thats supposed to solve the groundwater shortage, or peak oil, or Climate Change, or fix the economy is a little hazy, but Im sure theres a TED talk with all the answers somewhere.

Its a moral panic. Stage 3 of grief en mass. The idea that if we all just really really commit to being good people all of our problems will go away. Eventually well all reach stage 5, police driving tanks and 12 hour workweeks for under minimum wage will just become the new normal.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

At most.

However, racism in America is a structural problem, where good intentions or conduct literally don't matter, because it's inscribed into the functioning of the system. 

So true.

I guess my question is, how do we change the system?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Demolition Squid

Historically, with a really big war to remind everyone at the top that they are mortal and not actually disconnected from society.

Our elites have shown that they are uninterested in listening to protest on this and similar issues (violent and nonviolent alike), so I'm honestly not sure what else will do it. I'm also not advocating a really big war, and I'd like to see some other solution... but I'm drawing a blank on what that might look like.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Demolition Squid

Alternative answer: edemocracy of course!
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho