News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Jazz: srs fucking business

Started by Cain, December 10, 2009, 08:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotep

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 16, 2009, 10:07:55 AM
Quote from: Brotep on December 16, 2009, 09:26:21 AM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

check out "Hard Normal Daddy"

E8 BOOGIE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBgn8QxYB6U (sound quality is pretty horrible btw, especially the crashes)

be sure to turn it up for the jaw dropping solo at 1:30

I have no idea if it's jazz btw, dunno what's the definition. But it is some guy doing absolutely crazy (and I assume improv too) stuff on his bass guitar, and I believe jazz has that too.

And uh, I can't really recommend the album "Do You Know Squarepusher", it's (IMO) one of the lesser accessible and more abstract and electronic albums, his older stuff is also more into the drum'nbass/glitchcore electronica [which are awesome in their own ways], but fortunately the newer albums (after "Do You Know Squarepusher") go back to the "Hard Normal Daddy" style bass guitar jams, but this time with a good dose of electronic bleeps and breaks too.

one more track, also with an awesome Chris Cunningham video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEb2FrQUbE

AND ONE MROE BECAUSE YAY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-pyIezB33c

Haha, Come On My Selector has an awesome video.

This music is pretty great for typing shit up like I am right now, by the way.

Quote from: RWHNFor me, music either has soul or it doesn't.
Incidentally, this is one of the main problems I have with J-Pop.

Quote from: RCHTHIS. I can tell when a guitar player is "getting it" or when he can just play alot of notes really fast.
Yeah, this is one of the reasons I got pissed off when I was learning harmonica and people demanded that I play Blues Traveler songs.  Yes, John Popper can play really fucking fast.  No, I couldn't play that fast.  But, he doesn't play with soul.  If you're not savoring the notes as you play them, the product is little more than diarrhea.

AFK

Quote from: Epimetheus on December 16, 2009, 10:00:37 PM
I don't get the comparison of rock and jazz to wanking. Isn't it obvious that all music is wanking?

No.  Unless you count the Ramones using 4 chords in a song, instead of 3, wanking. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Howabout the Ramones using a Glockenspiel?

AFK

LMNO

Lucky for them, it was in a damn good song ("Bonzo Goes to Bitburg/My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down").

AFK

I don't think I've heard that one.  Time to go YouTubing.  

ETA:  Okay, that's a fucking good song.  I really need to get more Ramones in my music collection. 

LMNO

You really only need 3 albums, Ramones, Rocket to Russia and Animal Boy.

Actually, you probably only really need Ramones Mania, but there are a few B-sides and also-rans I like on the albums themselves ("Havana Affair" is probably one of the best-least-known Ramones songs off the first album).

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNO on December 17, 2009, 02:04:16 PM
Lucky for them, it was in a damn good song ("Bonzo Goes to Bitburg/My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down").

their best song, by far (somebody put something in my drink is a sorta close second).

my old band used to cover that one.

sadly, it was more popular than most of our original songs.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"