News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

RAEP IS GOOD MAJIK

Started by E.O.T., April 19, 2011, 05:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 19, 2011, 02:28:30 PM
I haven't researched this, but I seem to recall the prevalence of superstitions at very high level of African governments and societies, even in the 20th and 21st centuries.  Usually based on sympathetic magic principles, this ranges from witch doctors attempting to influence the African Cup football matches to the belief that having sex with a virgin will cure AIDS, to Idi Amin (possibly) engaging in cannabalism.

I have no idea why Africa seem to be the focus of these stories, but I do know it's not unusual for societies to hold on to their superstitions well into the modern age, and so-called "Western" countries are not exempt.

I know a disturbing amount of people who still firmly believe in jinxes.

Is raping for magic much different from killing people in an embassy because people in the embassy's country burned your chosen holy book?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cinderflame KSC

Quote from: Doktor Blight on April 19, 2011, 02:41:34 PM
EOT-

I think that the Wiccan position would be fairly easy to determine, since they follow a harm none perspective. However, if I recall, Gardner's Book of Shadows commented on the efficacy of blood sacrifice while simultaneously asserting that it is abominable. Would Wiccans think that there is actually a magic potion that is rape activated? I don't know. Maybe they could see it working in the sense of both sex magic and blood sacrifice analogs. I'm also wondering if potion is a mistranslation of some sort. They don't really explain what the potion is or why it requires rape.
I don't know a single Wiccan that would condone rape as a magickal act. As far as blood sacrifice, most I know won't even swat a mosquito while in circle. That's not to say that what these soldiers are doing isn't magick; any magickal act can be taken with mal-intent, sex magick being no different.

hooplala

Quote from: Cinderflame KSC on April 19, 2011, 04:22:17 PM
EOT-

I think that the Wiccan position would be fairly easy to determine, since they follow a harm none perspective. However, if I recall, Gardner's Book of Shadows commented on the efficacy of blood sacrifice while simultaneously asserting that it is abominable. Would Wiccans think that there is actually a magic potion that is rape activated? I don't know. Maybe they could see it working in the sense of both sex magic and blood sacrifice analogs. I'm also wondering if potion is a mistranslation of some sort. They don't really explain what the potion is or why it requires rape.
I don't know a single Wiccan that would condone rape as a magickal act. As far as blood sacrifice, most I know won't even swat a mosquito while in circle. That's not to say that what these soldiers are doing isn't magick; any magickal act can be taken with mal-intent, sex magick being no different.

Isn't that basically what Blight just said?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

BabylonHoruv

EOT-

condone and believe it works are two very different things.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Doktor Blight on April 19, 2011, 02:02:56 PM
Quote from: E.O.T. on April 19, 2011, 01:54:06 PM

TO LG & NIGEL

most people who've studied war/ battle and delved into the "collateral damage" pouring onto civilians - and i don't mean scholars but simply curious readers, know that horrible things like this, or their equivalent, do happen. maybe all the time. aside from the frankness of the soldiers delivery being rather mind numbing, the whole topic of rape as a magic potion, as an almost alchemical process makes me wonder what the history behind this is.

I was wondering about the origin of this idea too. It seems... just really fucking bizarre of a concept, even in comparison to other folk beliefs and superstitions.

It isnt just traditional superstitions that are still around. Witch burnings, both by muslims and christians, are still very popular.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

E.O.T.

EOT-

DOK B

i'm actually not the least interested in the wiccs, i'm just riding out a stupid joke because of the majiks association. i think LMNO's point is a great insight, the magic rather precedes much action or intent culturally.
it's possible that if this video clip has more footage to it somewhere, that less vague elements are elaborated on. it would be interesting if this angle (for lack of a better word?) on rape in war/ battle was unique because of the influence from within the culture/ belief systems itself.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

BabylonHoruv

The Serbians put a lot of stock in rape as well, they didn't call it magic specifically, but the ways they pursued it suggested there was an element of the same sort of school of thought. 
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

LMNO

Well, if we're going to go in that direction, rape as a war tactic has been around probably since we were barely more than apes.

The justifications are varied, but it's pretty much a universal tactic.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yup; that much is well-documented.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 19, 2011, 07:47:34 PM
Well, if we're going to go in that direction, rape as a war tactic has been around probably since we were barely more than apes.

We can document it in various primate groups today, so I'd say it was used since we were apes.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on April 19, 2011, 04:33:22 PM
EOT-

Yep. Bolding it in case he missed it the second read through. I thought it was a fairly straightforward post.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cinderflame KSC

Quote from: Doktor Blight on April 19, 2011, 11:40:26 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on April 19, 2011, 04:33:22 PM
EOT-

Yep. Bolding it in case he missed it the second read through. I thought it was a fairly straightforward post.

Fuck. This is what I get for posting right before I go to bed. My post seemed much more detailed and profound when it was still stuck in my head.

E.O.T.

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 19, 2011, 07:47:34 PM

RIGHT

and i was definitely drawing focus/ interested in feedback on the "magic potion" element. rape as a topic would i guess be a misinterpretation of the thread intent. just trying to be clear. i worked like 14 hrs today and haven't had a chance to look into the regional history/ expanse of the theory behind this. all of the other related material, which there is quite a LOT on the use of rape by congo armies/ fighters, does not seem to touch on this element. i'm also still not sure where this clip is taken from, there must be a larger documentary or interview which this is a segment of.

I DO

realize that this is gruesome stuff, but it's the kind of wtf that makes me want to know more. i've always been interested in the comparative structures of belief systems and i'm just really curious if the focal point of the "rape magic" has any universality to it. yes, sex magic is an obvious connection for sure, this being a really extreme application - and the context of extended warfare as an environment makes me wonder if there is a history outside of the congo involving something similar.

MY IMMEDIATE

thought was that it would be greatly possible that something correlative exists as far at least as the middle east if not possibly into asia and eastern europe. i am wondering if ancient western cultures held a similar belief/ practice. "righteousness" as a retaliation tactic is more the domain of man in service to a god/ goddess/ deity than perhaps how the understanding of magic and how it works for the african magic user. (?)

Telarus

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-891321698051955222#

Watch it now, Freeman's stuff (and everyone else's on Google Video) gets axed on May 15th.  :fnord:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

E.O.T.

Quote from: Telarus on April 20, 2011, 06:43:23 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-891321698051955222#

Watch it now, Freeman's stuff (and everyone else's on Google Video) gets axed on May 15th.  :fnord:

THIS APPEARS TO BE AWESOME

i'll give it a go around