News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Tough on bars, tough on the causes of bars

Started by Cain, November 10, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 11, 2015, 04:32:10 AM
So, first day on the job, a mile and half up in the air.  Talking with engineers about robots the size of sewing needles that adjust fiberoptic cables for trapping images of entire galaxies, to measure their velocity with respect to one another.  The engineers know their job and they assume I'm educated on everything unless I tell them differently, in which case they patiently explain.

My boss is a fairly brilliant scientist who enjoys the ins and outs of DOE/NASA/NSF bureaucratic wrangling.  His boss is the smartest woman I've ever met, who shares my enthusiasm for the visitor program, for getting people up the mountain to look at other stars and how exoplanets are inferred from a star's wobble, and will geek out on a moment's notice, which is fucking awesome.

My crew are all professionals who genuinely like each other, and most of them seem to have taken a shine to me.

I am in charge of - among many other things - life support.  LIFE SUPPORT.  Scotty, my scabby arse!

I changed my mind.  There is a heaven.

You deserve it, Holy Man.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 11, 2015, 04:32:10 AM
So, first day on the job, a mile and half up in the air.  Talking with engineers about robots the size of sewing needles that adjust fiberoptic cables for trapping images of entire galaxies, to measure their velocity with respect to one another.  The engineers know their job and they assume I'm educated on everything unless I tell them differently, in which case they patiently explain.

My boss is a fairly brilliant scientist who enjoys the ins and outs of DOE/NASA/NSF bureaucratic wrangling.  His boss is the smartest woman I've ever met, who shares my enthusiasm for the visitor program, for getting people up the mountain to look at other stars and how exoplanets are inferred from a star's wobble, and will geek out on a moment's notice, which is fucking awesome.

My crew are all professionals who genuinely like each other, and most of them seem to have taken a shine to me.

I am in charge of - among many other things - life support.  LIFE SUPPORT.  Scotty, my scabby arse!

I changed my mind.  There is a heaven.

That sounds absolutely fantastic. Congratulations!
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on December 11, 2015, 12:06:26 PM
Do you need test subjects?  I can provide test subjects.

In other news: knee still busted (it was improving....until I put all my weight on it to get into bed) and Xmas shopping is 66% complete.

Are you still on that diet? If so and you have tissue damage you might do well to suspend it temporarily or it could degenerate further.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on December 11, 2015, 03:57:24 PM

In other news: knee still busted (it was improving....until I put all my weight on it to get into bed) and Xmas shopping is 66% complete.

Are you still on that diet? If so and you have tissue damage you might do well to suspend it temporarily or it could degenerate further.

Oh I did temprorarily.  It is improving, it was just a really nasty fall, followed by a lot of walking which probably did further damage.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Well, not so much, but we don't have any guardrails and it's winter up there.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on December 11, 2015, 04:10:13 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on December 11, 2015, 03:57:24 PM

Oh I did temprorarily.  It is improving, it was just a really nasty fall, followed by a lot of walking which probably did further damage.

Probably, but if it can still bear your full weight and has full range of motion you may not need a doctor, but it will need dietary support and rest for sure. I hope for the best.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That sucks ass. Do you have a brace? Even a cheap drugstore one might help keep it stable and protected.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have a lunch date with my ex in half an hour and totally don't feel like leaving the house. Not because I don't want to see him and catch up on how he's doing, because I do like him and he's fun to hang out with, but because it's cold outside and I just want to drink tea and browse acreage and daydream about buying 80 acres and a shipping container and hunting boar in the high desert with Alty.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

Just finished two days of local hacker convention. Very sleep. Grats to Nigel and Roger!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on December 11, 2015, 08:38:05 PM
Just finished two days of local hacker convention. Very sleep. Grats to Nigel and Roger!

That sounds fun. An old friend of mine goes to those every year and it always seems like a super good time!

Meunster

Guess which nihilistic asshole has a girlfriend now?

HINT: it's me.

Poe's law ;)

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Meunster on December 12, 2015, 02:25:06 AM
Guess which nihilistic asshole has a girlfriend now?

HINT: it's me.

Is she also a nihilistic asshole or should I not ready the popcorn?

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on December 12, 2015, 04:40:42 AM
Quote from: Pæs on December 11, 2015, 08:38:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

Somewhat relevant.

Why's it gotta be gooey?  It's exactly this sort of slovenly work practices that are bringing America down.