News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Attention, you snotty little lurking bastards:

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 07, 2012, 07:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

LMNO

That's the key, isn't it?  I used to be able to crank out 1000 words in twenty minutes.  I wrote 30 stories honoring Eris (the "walking through the battlefield" aspect) in 30 days (business days, but still).  I barfed up narration for the Spider Games.

But now?  Not so much.  I mean, I still have the creative thing going, I'm in the process of recording and mixing new Frost Heaves demos, and I sure as hell still have the talent and passion to do it.  But my word well is dry.  I need to congeal around some new subject matter I can get amped up about.  I'm pretty sure it will come.  I'm not sure when.

Placid Dingo

Thats a natural thing to me; I'll usually concentrate creative energy into a few places. Recently I've been putting most of my creative energy into work, because wit means I get to have more fun withthe kids, so my writing drops off.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 08, 2012, 12:52:46 PM
That's the key, isn't it?  I used to be able to crank out 1000 words in twenty minutes.  I wrote 30 stories honoring Eris (the "walking through the battlefield" aspect) in 30 days (business days, but still).  I barfed up narration for the Spider Games.

But now?  Not so much.  I mean, I still have the creative thing going, I'm in the process of recording and mixing new Frost Heaves demos, and I sure as hell still have the talent and passion to do it.  But my word well is dry.  I need to congeal around some new subject matter I can get amped up about.  I'm pretty sure it will come.  I'm not sure when.

This is kind of where I am these days.  I have to do a lot of writing in my job these days, and that's only going to get worse as I have a couple of federal grants I'm going to have to write now.  So I kind of get tapped out to write non-work-related stuff.  Except for last night when I posted that thing about organizing.  Just because it is something that I deal with at work but also translates to broader sociological issues and traps. 

But I think the passion is still there that I had when I joined this place.  I just need to find a way to trigger it I guess. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Sita

I love how whenever anyone says that the reason they aren't posting is because they have nothing interesting to say or that they don't get a response when they do post, the answer is always 'Post Anyway!'

yet every week (it seems) there is a thread started about how people aren't responding to posts and that everyone is just watching and that you might as well stop posting too. Which, to me, is a direct contradiction to the 'Post Anyway' advice.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sita on February 08, 2012, 02:57:41 PM
I love how whenever anyone says that the reason they aren't posting is because they have nothing interesting to say or that they don't get a response when they do post, the answer is always 'Post Anyway!'

yet every week (it seems) there is a thread started about how people aren't responding to posts and that everyone is just watching and that you might as well stop posting too. Which, to me, is a direct contradiction to the 'Post Anyway' advice.

I am not required to make sense to people with factory-condition brains.

:lulz:

And I never said I wasn't going to post.  I said I wasn't going to write rants, etc.

But I've said that before, and I wind up ranting anyway.  It's a sickness.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Sita

ah, that's different then.
I can understand the rant bit, though it strikes me that they will happen eventually anyway. Just over the course of conversation something will trigger and a rant will form.

Sadly every time I go to rant, it just ends up being a woe is me piece full of self loathing and concentrating on the stupid and unimportant. so they don't get posted.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sita on February 08, 2012, 03:15:23 PM
ah, that's different then.
I can understand the rant bit, though it strikes me that they will happen eventually anyway. Just over the course of conversation something will trigger and a rant will form.

Sadly every time I go to rant, it just ends up being a woe is me piece full of self loathing and concentrating on the stupid and unimportant. so they don't get posted.

This is why I stick to rage.

Cramulus

lmno, dingo, rwhn -- you guys mentioned that it would come easier if you had -- it sounded like a project or topic to write about.

Is there stuff you're interested in right now? Maybe we can find some common ground.

With the Chao te Ching, the Etc. Discordia, and Not Under My Roof all wrapped up (the three main projects I'd been working on), I've got some mental space for a new project too. I think that if we come up with something that intrigues all of us, the awesome will come.

LMNO

That's what I'm hoping for. But I also know that waiting around for someone else to start something is just as lazy as not doing anything.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Epimetheus on February 07, 2012, 10:23:50 PM
I don't post often. Here's the way I feel about it. (1) Why post just to post? What in the hell is the use of that? I don't want to add to the noise; it doesn't help anyone. I see some useless posts on PD and don't want to just add to that pile. (2) I think I don't really like a lot of the people here (or at least a few of the loudest posters). I think we don't jive in certain ways and what that means is any time I post content, it would probably be misunderstood, or understood and disliked. I mean, what's the point of posting if it makes folks like me less and thus more likely to throw out anything I say in the future? I'm not saying that I'm afraid of being hurt or ignored. I'm saying that those things mean my posting would be pointless, helping no one.

Hey, I think I found the asshole!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Quote from: Epimetheus on February 07, 2012, 10:23:50 PM
I don't post often. Here's the way I feel about it. (1) Why post just to post? What in the hell is the use of that? I don't want to add to the noise; it doesn't help anyone. I see some useless posts on PD and don't want to just add to that pile. (2) I think I don't really like a lot of the people here (or at least a few of the loudest posters). I think we don't jive in certain ways and what that means is any time I post content, it would probably be misunderstood, or understood and disliked. I mean, what's the point of posting if it makes folks like me less and thus more likely to throw out anything I say in the future? I'm not saying that I'm afraid of being hurt or ignored. I'm saying that those things mean my posting would be pointless, helping no one.

I dunno, seems kind of pointless to worry about all that.  I post what I want to post knowing some people will like it and some people won't, or simply not care.  So what?  Like the wise philosopher Madonna once said,  "Express Yourself!"  (but please don't post any pictures of you grabbing your crotch, or anyone else's.)

AFK

Quote from: Cramulus on February 08, 2012, 03:20:31 PM
lmno, dingo, rwhn -- you guys mentioned that it would come easier if you had -- it sounded like a project or topic to write about.

Is there stuff you're interested in right now? Maybe we can find some common ground.

With the Chao te Ching, the Etc. Discordia, and Not Under My Roof all wrapped up (the three main projects I'd been working on), I've got some mental space for a new project too. I think that if we come up with something that intrigues all of us, the awesome will come.

For me it's more of needing some kind of trigger.  But for me it's just a momentary thing.  That is, every once in awhile something just goes off in my head that compels me to right, which is what happened last night.  But if I try to sit down and purposefully write something right there and then, more often than not it doesn't work.  And I've never been the most prolific poster when it comes to rants, etc., but I think with age and more IRL responsibility, my head space has gotten a bit crowded. 

But centering around a project might work too.  Hard to know. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Epimetheus on February 08, 2012, 01:22:10 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 08, 2012, 01:15:27 AM

Let's just look at that a moment.

"I hope you don't think of my shitting all over you as a judgement of you.  It's a statement of my reaction, not your being."

But, yeah, it IS a statement of your reaction.  You have seen my reaction to that nasty little reaction.

And that's all I have to say.

Saying you dislike some people without any other specifics or names is shitting all over them?

Fuck off, you cowardly little taint.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."