News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Larger than Life

Started by The Wizard, January 24, 2011, 09:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard

When was the last time you heard the phrase "Larger than Life"? If you heard the phrase recently, it was probably being used to describe someone who is either dead or getting up there in years. What about today's leaders and artists? Does anyone use the words Larger than Life when talking about Sarah Palin or Justin Beiber? I doubt it.

The reason, at least from where I'm standing, is plain as day. Humanity has forgotten what life really is. They've forgotten how weird, how truly epic life can be. Think about those larger than life people, people like George Patton or Jack Churchill. These larger than life people were all half crazy and completely out of sinc with everyone around them. Because they knew how to have a good time. They knew what they enjoyed and they pursued it. They were the only ones with the stones to actually do what they wanted with life. Amelia Earhart wanted to fly, and nothing on earth would stop her from flying. She kept on flying until the day the disappeared. Nikola Tesla wanted to invent, and he did so up until his death. These people are exceptional because they couldn't be bothered with mediocrity.

You never hear about someone being Larger than Life anymore, is because no one seems to be willing to go out there and make themselves into a legend. No one is willing to push themselves to the very edge, to wage war against an arch enemy, to live life like it should be fucking lived! Instead we've got weak chinned politico's and reality TV. Humanity has castrated itself.

Knows the real enemy when he sees it.
Dr. James Semaj
Insanity we trust.

The Wizard

I would love to see how today's politicians would fair against Teddy Roosevelt or Andrew Jackson.
Insanity we trust.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on January 24, 2011, 09:55:41 PM
I would love to see how today's politicians would fair against Teddy Roosevelt or Andrew Jackson.

Teddy would soundly beat them with a cudgel, and Andrew would probably beat them with a cane or shoot them.

The Wizard

QuoteTeddy would soundly beat them with a cudgel, and Andrew would probably beat them with a cane or shoot them.

Exactly! Those two knew how to wage a campaign. Man tries to shoot Jackson, the guns jam, whereupon Jackson beats the shit out of with his cane. Man shoots Roosevelt, and the man finishes his speech, and then goes to the hospital.
Insanity we trust.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on January 24, 2011, 10:02:29 PM
QuoteTeddy would soundly beat them with a cudgel, and Andrew would probably beat them with a cane or shoot them.

Exactly! Those two knew how to wage a campaign. Man tries to shoot Jackson, the guns jam, whereupon Jackson beats the shit out of with his cane. Man shoots Roosevelt, and the man finishes his speech, and then goes to the hospital.

QuoteIn a letter to Master James A. Garfield dated December 26, 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt wrote:

Late in the afternoon I played at single stick with General Wood and Mr. Ferguson. I am going to get your father to come on and try it soon. We have to try to hit as light as possible, but sometimes we hit hard, and today I have a bump over one eye and a swollen wrist.

The Johnny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jkH7An7dKk

And no man, this isnt to shit on your thread, i consider it deconstruction, this is the last time i heard the phrase, and i wonder if it somehow tangentionally it triggered something in you to write this Op.

This meme seed exists from 9 years ago, and to be "larger than life" to the general population is:

"Every time we're down
You can make it right"

So basically to be "larger than life" is to act as a codependant/fixer??

Shouldnt being "larger than life" be something else?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Wizard

QuoteIn a letter to Master James A. Garfield dated December 26, 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt wrote:

Late in the afternoon I played at single stick with General Wood and Mr. Ferguson. I am going to get your father to come on and try it soon. We have to try to hit as light as possible, but sometimes we hit hard, and today I have a bump over one eye and a swollen wrist.

:lulz:

Singlestick, also known as cudgels, refers to both a martial art that uses a wooden stick as well as the weapon used in the art. It began as a way of training soldiers in the use of swords such as the sabre. Canne de combat, a French form of stick fighting, is similar to singlestick play, but is more a method of self-defense with a walking stick.

Man was still a badass.
Insanity we trust.

Eater of Clowns

"I'm still big!  It's the pictures that got small!"
-Sunset Boulevard

There can be no great people any longer because their lives are watched continuously, clipped down to minutiae, and broadcast to seething morons that wish nothing more than to see them fall.  Because people are small, reduced by their own complacency and their readiness to be manipulated.  This is as true now as it was then, the difference being that the ignorance is celebrated, mimicked, taken to extremes, and sold.  To survive in such a world, those that may have once been great appeal to that.

I think under the constant watching, the continued flubbing, the regular airing of their flaws, a good many great people of the past would be brought to light as the filth we see today.  Then again, there are a few others that would not.

Like them or not, I would describe a few secondary or tirtiary known figures today as larger than life.  Richard Branson comes to mind, and if you want an account of one that isn't a billionnaire, Greg Mortenson.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Wizard

QuoteAnd no man, this isnt to shit on your thread, i consider it deconstruction, this is the last time i heard the phrase, and i wonder if it somehow tangentionally it triggered something in you to write this Op.

This meme seed exists from 9 years ago, and to be "larger than life" to the general population is:

"Every time we're down
You can make it right"

So basically to be "larger than life" is to act as a codependant/fixer??

Shouldnt being "larger than life" be something else?

No, this was triggered by a conversation with a friend earlier today. I was telling him about Jack Churchill, and my friend refused to believe that the guy was real.

And if you read the rant, you'd see that I meant Larger than Life as a refusal to be limited by what most people think of as "possible" or "realistic".
Insanity we trust.

Adios

Larger than life tends to fit in a grave very nicely a lot of the time.

The Wizard

QuoteLarger than life tends to fit in a grave very nicely a lot of the time.

True, and most of the people I used as examples met unpleasant ends. But speaking personally, I'd rather live like one of those guys for one decade than spend a lifetime being just another face in the crowd.
Insanity we trust.

Adios

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on January 24, 2011, 10:23:18 PM

True, and most of the people I used as examples met unpleasant ends. But speaking personally, I'd rather live like one of those guys for one decade than spend a lifetime being just another face in the crowd.

Your destiny is yours alone to control.

The Wizard

QuoteYour destiny is yours alone to control.

Aye. And I don't plan on wasting it.
Insanity we trust.

The Johnny

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 24, 2011, 10:24:57 PM

I disagree with this idea, we are nowhere close to controlling a lot of things.

In and of itself "taking the reins" i find it to be heroic, even if it leads up to nothing or disaster; in other words trying to accomplish what is meaningful for oneself.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Adios

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on January 24, 2011, 10:28:21 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on January 24, 2011, 10:24:57 PM

I disagree with this idea, we are nowhere close to controlling a lot of things.

In and of itself "taking the reins" i find it to be heroic, even if it leads up to nothing or disaster; in other words trying to accomplish what is meaningful for oneself.

Losers whine about trying, winners take the cheerleader home and fuck her.

Sean Connery in The Rock.