News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

East Coast Earthquake

Started by Suu, August 23, 2011, 09:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Yes, we felt it in Providence. Oarstroker and I were very much WTF as we sat in the kitchen and felt the floor rolling. Yes, rolling.

Is everyone else okay in the Northeast?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dimocritus

Didn't feel a thing. But that's not out of the ordinary.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

iarmit

Hell, I feel shaky half the time anyways, couldn't have told you

Cainad (dec.)

I was driving at the time. I have no idea if I felt it or not. :sad:

Suu

Okay, granted we were stoned, but I'm also on the 3rd floor of an old building. Seriously, my kitchen floor had the wah wah wah wahs.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Her Royal Suuness on August 23, 2011, 10:22:04 PM
Okay, granted we were stoned, but I'm also on the 3rd floor of an old building. Seriously, my kitchen floor had the wah wah wah wahs.

Yeah, that would be freaky. Glad it held together.

Suu

http://www2.turnto10.com/news/2011/aug/23/6/state-house-evacuated-after-va-quake-ar-701063/

Some people REALLY felt it. Structures aren't built for quakes up here, so old buildings like mine are rattletraps.

However, it was QUIET. The floor moved us in our chairs and we were watching things swaying in my kitchen. Oarstroker was like, "Wait, are we having an earthquake?!" I acknowledged that it was possible up here, and I checked the seizmic websites, but it hadn't been posted yet.  Fucking scary that a shallow 5.8 can send shockwaves that far.

Jenne

I have colleagues I was working with in RI that felt it, as well as folks in Washington, DC that felt it and had to log out for the day they were so freaked out.

*squints*

Yeah, 5.9 is pretty rough.

Doubly glad I'm out of those VA caverns now.

Phox

Is it bad that I assumed this thread was about ECH?  :lulz:

Suu

Quote from: Jenne on August 23, 2011, 10:34:17 PM
I have colleagues I was working with in RI that felt it, as well as folks in Washington, DC that felt it and had to log out for the day they were so freaked out.

*squints*

a 5.9 doesn't happen much in these parts. MA gets 3s and 4s often, but almost a 6 on the East Coast is pretty rare.

Richter

Quote from: Dimocritus on August 23, 2011, 09:20:20 PM
Didn't feel a thing. But that's not out of the ordinary.

In the spirit of our times, and for the excellence of the act rather than my assessment of your character, I am inclined to inform you; that's what she said.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

PopeTom

Rolling floor is a good description of what I felt.

Not immediately knowing I was experiencing an earth quake I had thought I was just getting kind of nauseous and dizzy.

Thankfully one of my coworkers spoke up about the building moving so I knew it wasn't just me.  Then the fire alarm went off.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Don Coyote

rolling floors are about par for that. glad that i havn't heard about any injuries.

granted i am tempted to lol, but i know you don't build for earthquakes out there.

PopeTom

Apparently East coast earthquakes also travel quite a ways father that other (US?) earthquakes.  So damage could potentially be over a much larger area if something really big were ever to hit.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Her Royal Suuness on August 23, 2011, 11:35:36 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 23, 2011, 10:34:17 PM

*squints*

a 5.9 doesn't happen much in these parts. MA gets 3s and 4s often, but almost a 6 on the East Coast is pretty rare.

I had an upstairs apartment in MA for awhile and sometimes felt little vibrations. Thought it was just big trucks going by until somebody told me it was earthquakes.  :eek:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division