News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

The Importance of Being Earnest II

Started by Payne, September 19, 2011, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Quote from: Net on September 20, 2011, 11:32:17 PM
Quote from: Luna on September 20, 2011, 05:04:43 PM
Because when you start deciding that a cause is more important than human lives, you're heading a bad direction.  When you accept that an idea is worth killing for, you never know where that will stop.

Well, that's simply a matter of how you frame it. And some ideas are worth killing for, fuck pacifism.

Putting the idea of the short-term monetary gains of whaling ahead of people's long-term ability to survive is an example of making a cause more important than human lives.

But we're a convenience culture, right?  All that matters is right now. Fuck the long view. Fuck the consequences that aren't immediately apparent. Plausible deniability bitches!!!!

Quote from: Alty on September 20, 2011, 08:29:24 PM
Um yeah. And if a whale gets killed is that going to destroy the ocean? Isn't plankton sort of more critical in that regard? Aren't there giant ocean deserts that are spreading more every year that threaten the very root of ocean ecology that will eventually kill ALL the whales and well as everything else?

Um, how did a lot of species go extinct? Oh yeah, we killed ONE too many.

A lot of whales are keystone species. This means that if they go, they take their entire ecosystem with them. And yes, at some point, killing one whale will do that.

If they took that energy they use to put people's live in danger and apply it stopping the course of human activity that is really fucking ourselves over, wouldn't that be more effective in the long run?

Well, we're fucking ourselves over with overfishing the oceans. I don't think it's worth threatening people's lives over because there's better ways to achieve their goals, but I do think the "cause" of protecting whales is a lot more important than it appears on the surface.

Oh, I absolutely agree that the cause of protecting whales is important.  That wasn't the question on the table, though.

This motherfucker isn't solving the problem.  He's showboating, and what he's doing isn't going to solve the problem.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Luna on September 20, 2011, 11:36:06 PM

Oh, I absolutely agree that the cause of protecting whales is important.  That wasn't the question on the table, though.

This motherfucker isn't solving the problem.  He's showboating, and what he's doing isn't going to solve the problem.

Agreed.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2011, 06:23:14 PM
I am now going to troll Capitol Grilling about how a bunch of people here are queer for fish.  If that doesn't bring a few over, nothing will.

This is serious.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Salty

Don't get me wrong, I am against the killing of whales. It's senseless and wrong. I did know that about some of then being ecological keystones. That certainly changes my perspective.

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Net on September 20, 2011, 11:32:17 PM
Quote from: Luna on September 20, 2011, 05:04:43 PM
Because when you start deciding that a cause is more important than human lives, you're heading a bad direction.  When you accept that an idea is worth killing for, you never know where that will stop.

Well, that's simply a matter of how you frame it. And some ideas are worth killing for, fuck pacifism.

Putting the idea of the short-term monetary gains of whaling ahead of people's long-term ability to survive is an example of making a cause more important than human lives.

But we're a convenience culture, right?  All that matters is right now. Fuck the long view. Fuck the consequences that aren't immediately apparent. Plausible deniability bitches!!!!

Um yeah. And if a whale gets killed is that going to destroy the ocean? Isn't plankton sort of more critical in that regard? Aren't there giant ocean deserts that are spreading more every year that threaten the very root of ocean ecology that will eventually kill ALL the whales and well as everything else?

Um, how did a lot of species go extinct? Oh yeah, we killed ONE too many.

A lot of whales are keystone species. This means that if they go, they take their entire ecosystem with them. And yes, at some point, killing one whale will do that.

If they took that energy they use to put people's live in danger and apply it stopping the course of human activity that is really fucking ourselves over, wouldn't that be more effective in the long run?

Well, we're fucking ourselves over with overfishing the oceans. I don't think it's worth threatening people's lives over because there's better ways to achieve their goals, but I do think the "cause" of protecting whales is a lot more important than it appears on the surface.

I'm certainly not arguing against the importance of whales or any of that. But anyone who spends time working on the sea in a non-recreational context will tell you that there are a handful of immutable laws of behavior out there. One of those is that, given that the ocean will do it's level best to kill you all on its own, you DO NOT FUCK with other vessels like that. Period. Unless you are in a declared state of military conflict and the vessel in question is a military target, the second you commit an act that threatens the safety of another vessel you are no better than a pirate. And given that the pirate at least has profit in mind and probably doesn't want to sink you or kill your crew, you're actually MUCH MUCH WORSE than a pirate.

I have dreams about running into some of those Whale Wars fucks on the street. I wake up with a throbbing veiny hard-on of the sort that leaves sex in the dust and can only be caused by violence.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on September 21, 2011, 12:21:50 AM
I have dreams about running into some of those Whale Wars fucks on the street. I wake up with a throbbing veiny hard-on of the sort that leaves sex in the dust and can only be caused by violence.

Would you say you have ...

:putin:

... a deep sea ted hatred for these guys?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"