News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

I R STOOPID

Started by hooplala, May 01, 2013, 07:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on December 23, 2014, 07:11:25 PM
I need that book!!

It is a seriously excellent and uncomfortable read. Uncomfortable because there's no escaping the recognition that you do all of the things the authors describe.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rev. Mondo Anvil

Jesus Christ. Whenever I try to do ANYTHING for you guys, I do something wrong.

Is there any way I could contribute to PD.com without being seen as a troll or an idiot?

I'm being totally serious.

(P. S. That discussion about me was actually hilarious. I laughed.)
Hail Eris!

"If Internet Exlorer can be brave enough to ask you if you want to make it your default browser, you're brave enough to ask that girl out." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

"Seems legit. Sounds Lincoln enough." -- Adolf Hitler, 1933

"Can confirm, was there." -- Adam Weishaupt, 1791

"Lorem ipsum dolor est." -- Seneca, 33

"That's not even real Latin." -- Friedrich Nietzsche, 1880

"Nietzsche? What are you doing here? You still owe me 10 bucks." -- Yahweh, 1880

Rev. Mondo Anvil

To clarify:

This is an amazing community. You are all AWESOME. Keep up the good work!

PD.com is a great site, and I've actually learned a lot from you.

I want to help this community.

When I try, I epically fail.

You don't seem to like that which makes sense seeing as it's a) an epic fail and b) I'm a noob.

Any tips?

(P. S. Just finished the Chao te Ching. Loved it. 5 star rating.)
Hail Eris!

"If Internet Exlorer can be brave enough to ask you if you want to make it your default browser, you're brave enough to ask that girl out." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

"Nietzsche? What are you doing here? You still owe me 10 bucks." -- Yahweh, 1880

Freeky

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on December 25, 2014, 01:19:26 AM
To clarify:

This is an amazing community. You are all AWESOME. Keep up the good work!

PD.com is a great site, and I've actually learned a lot from you.

I want to help this community.

When I try, I epically fail.

You don't seem to like that which makes sense seeing as it's a) an epic fail and b) I'm a noob.

Any tips?

(P. S. Just finished the Chao te Ching. Loved it. 5 star rating.)

Maybe be less helpful, and instead just be? 

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on December 25, 2014, 01:10:46 AM
Jesus Christ. Whenever I try to do ANYTHING for you guys, I do something wrong.

Is there any way I could contribute to PD.com without being seen as a troll or an idiot?

I'm being totally serious.

(P. S. That discussion about me was actually hilarious. I laughed.)

My best suggestion is:

1. Stop trying to "help". There's this thing that happens when you have the mindset that you are here to "be helpful", which is that you end up giving people uninformed, unhelpful unsolicited advice, which in general people will perceive either as you being condescending or as you being a dumbass. You see that shit all over Facebook, and nobody likes it there either.

2. Read the thread before commenting. That can really help head off accidental dumbassery. We all violate this regularly, but that's largely because we

3. Know your audience. I don't mean memorize our work schedules and birthdays, that's creepy. But I do mean that there aren't that many people here and we are all very different individuals with different areas of expertise. For example, Johnny is a psychology graduate student and I'm a bio/psych double major undergrad. The odds that neither of us would have heard of the Dunning-Kruger Effect are vanishingly small. Now, I'm not saying that you should be able to recall everyone's field of study off the top of your head, but hopefully it should at least ring a bell, so that you don't find yourself helpfully informing Cain about terrorism facts.

4. Be humble. Yeah, I know that we don't generally seem very humble (THIS THREAD NOTWITHSTANDING) but the reality is that you're on a forum where anything you know, it is highly likely that at least one other person knows. For the most part, except when things break down into inchoate screeching at each other over trivial slights real and imagined, we are able to get along with each other fairly well by following the general rules of politeness, including trying not to assume that the people you are talking to don't already know all about what it is you're planning to tell them. Sometimes they won't, and you get a chance to share something new. Sometimes they will know more than you do, in which case you might get a chance to learn something new.

5. Use all of the above to help you think your post through, both as you're writing and on your final read-through before hitting "post".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

6) Do not assume that being corrected or ribbed for fucking up means everyone hates you forever and take it personal-like. Wear a helmet, take your knocks, and do better next time.

LMNO

Agreed with all of the above, save for one thing: You should TOTALLY explain terrorism to Cain.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 25, 2014, 02:48:32 AM
Agreed with all of the above, save for one thing: You should TOTALLY explain terrorism to Cain.

:spittake:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 25, 2014, 02:17:20 AM
6) Do not assume that being corrected or ribbed for fucking up means everyone hates you forever and take it personal-like. Wear a helmet, take your knocks, and do better next time.

QG is correct, except in my case.  I fuckin' hate you.  It's nothing personal.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 25, 2014, 06:45:40 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 25, 2014, 02:17:20 AM

QG is correct, except in my case.  I fuckin' hate you.  It's nothing personal.

:lulz: Truth.

Rev. Mondo Anvil

Hail Eris!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on December 25, 2014, 01:57:45 PM
Got it.

It has nothing to do with you as an individual.  I just don't like your kind.
Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 26, 2014, 01:57:26 AM
Got it.

Pixels on a screen posing as Humans?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on December 26, 2014, 02:55:53 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 26, 2014, 01:57:26 AM
Got it.

Pixels on a screen posing as Humans?

No.  Humans.  I have extremely good reasons for hating humans...But I don't consider them to be a collection of phosphor dots.  If you think that the people you are talking to are just pixels on a screen, then you are also a wretchedly defective human as well.
Molon Lube