News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

SOCIOLOLGICAL EXPERIMENT

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 12, 2012, 11:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Fabulous answers! Thank you! I have no idea how we're going to analyze all this but it's going to be really useful.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on November 13, 2012, 03:38:25 PM
Quote from: CAKE on November 12, 2012, 11:51:33 PMWhat are your impressions of teenagers?
I probably am only exposed to negative depictions of teens, but many seem intensely incurious about the world - to the degree that some seem to take pride in their ignorance.  When I was a teen we were all trying to seem older and more worldly than we were, trying to find out things that had happened before our time so we might seem a few years older.  Now Twitter blows up with teens asking who Paul McCartney is.

I can't really figure this one out because Twidsister seems to keep this sort of thing in check. But it drives me nuts too. The best I can think of is that they just expect to throw any question at the internet and expect an answer out of it, while at the same time trying to broadcast their [fleeting] interest in the stupid question of the moment. It seems obvious to me that if you don't know who Paul McCartney is, there's this website called Google that will lead you to this other website called Wikipedia...
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 13, 2012, 04:15:58 PM
Quote from: CAKE on November 12, 2012, 11:51:33 PMWhat are your impressions of teenagers?
I probably am only exposed to negative depictions of teens, but many seem intensely incurious about the world - to the degree that some seem to take pride in their ignorance.  When I was a teen we were all trying to seem older and more worldly than we were, trying to find out things that had happened before our time so we might seem a few years older.  Now Twitter blows up with teens asking who Paul McCartney is.

I can't really figure this one out because Twidsister seems to keep this sort of thing in check. But it drives me nuts too. The best I can think of is that they just expect to throw any question at the internet and expect an answer out of it, while at the same time trying to broadcast their [fleeting] interest in the stupid question of the moment. It seems obvious to me that if you don't know who Paul McCartney is, there's this website called Google that will lead you to this other website called Wikipedia...

I live with a couple of teenagers, and I can tell you for certain that quite a lot of that is done purely to infuriate old people who take it seriously.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Lenin McCarthy

What are some words you would use to describe teenagers?

Idealistic, individual, cliquish, insecure, creative, apathetic, involved.

How do you feel the media portrays teenagers?

Hypersexual, parent-hating, cliquish, drunk and stupid. Teenagers as portrayed in the media are either prodigies or living proof of the decadence of Western society.

Do you think it is an accurate or an inaccurate representa
tion?

It is based on inaccurate and unrepresentative stereotypes. 

What are your impressions of teenagers?

Like people in general, we're a mixed bunch. I see lots of teenager who get involved in
ighting for social justice and freedom. I also see lots of teenagers who are either
apathetic or actively work to preserve the status quo. Teenagers (at least in their late teens) are generally more tolerant, more idealistic and less prejudiced than older people.

Do you feel like your impressions of teenagers in general are accurate for teenagers you know personally, or yourself if you are a teenager?

Yes, definitely.

Do you think that media representation of teenagers influences your expectations and treatment of teenagers, or other people's expectations and treatment of you if you are a teenager?

I meet people who are very distrustful of teenagers, often rightly, but also people who are very optimistic about we who are going to take over this mess of a planet that we live on.

Cainad (dec.)

Dear PD, Hello Nigel.

I need your help with a class project. Don't worry, I'm not going to experiment on you! Why not? But if you would kindly take a moment to answer the following questions, I'd be much obliged. Okay, I'll bite.

What are some words you would use to describe teenagers? Bewildered, self-conscious, idealistic

How do you feel the media portrays teenagers? Borderline delusional sex-crazed morons, either with hearts of gold or of shallow decadence, depending on the cynicism of the writer.

Do you think it is an accurate or an inaccurate representation? Inaccurate, mainly because of exaggeration. The traits they portray all exist in teenagers, but tend to be blown out of proportion for the sake of providing a compelling narrative.

What are your impressions of teenagers? Extremely inwardly focused, keenly self-conscious, and in desperate need of validation for their feelings (which are more intense than they are accustomed to dealing with) and ideas (which are appearing and propagating faster than they can keep track).

Do you feel like your impressions of teenagers in general are accurate for teenagers you know personally, or yourself if you are a teenager? My impressions are shaped mostly by my own experiences and from my interactions with a few of my peers (who may very well not be a representative sample). I'm 22, so these years are in relatively recent memory. I believe my impressions are accurate, but upon reflection it might still be difficult for me to relate to a teenager now because of my slightly older perspective and comparatively well-established sense of personal identity.

Do you think that media representation of teenagers influences your expectations and treatment of teenagers, or other people's expectations and treatment of you if you are a teenager? To the first part: No, but that's probably because it's influencing me in subtle ways that I am not aware of.

Thank you very much for your answers! You are welcome.

Anna Mae Bollocks

What are some words you would use to describe teenagers?
Adults in some ways but lacking life experience

How do you feel the media portrays teenagers?
Shallow wealthy shop-a-holic moron virgins (Disney Channel)
Sex crazed morons (horror movies)
Two year olds who must be monitored constantly and are not worthy of basic privacy (news outlets)

Do you think it is an accurate or an inaccurate representation?
I don't think the media portrays anybody accurately

What are your impressions of teenagers?
They run the gamut like anybody else. I don't have a sweeping generalization to fit them all. As a rule, though, I see them as somewhat green adults. How green depends on what they've been through and how much they're paying attention.

Do you feel like your impressions of teenagers in general are accurate for teenagers you know personally, or yourself if you are a teenager?
Both

Do you think that media representation of teenagers influences your expectations and treatment of teenagers, or other people's expectations and treatment of you if you are a teenager?
Hopefully not. Media representations are garbage
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

hooplala

Quote from: CAKE on November 13, 2012, 05:09:41 PM

I live with a couple of teenagers, and I can tell you for certain that quite a lot of that is done purely to infuriate old people who take it seriously.

If that is indeed the case, I approve heartily.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 13, 2012, 02:32:03 PM
Can I add something? For the first part, "prone to having a group identity rather than an individual one" (goth, emo, etc.) I think this is less so in late adolescence and hopefully goes mostly, if not all, away by the time they're in their early twenties.

Uhhh...UNIFORMS.

Anna Mae Bollocks

They're not interested in Paul McCartney. I've talked to teenagers who knew the old punkers and metal bands inside out and ENVIED me for being an old fart.

I mean..."Another Day"? I wish I DIDN'T know things like that.  :x

hooplala

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on November 15, 2012, 06:32:10 PM

They're not interested in Paul McCartney. I've talked to teenagers who knew the old punkers and metal bands inside out and ENVIED me for being an old fart.

I mean..."Another Day"? I wish I DIDN'T know things like that.  :x

Agreed.  Paul McCartney is a tit and I wish i didn't know of him either, it was a poor example. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Juana

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on November 15, 2012, 06:28:59 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 13, 2012, 02:32:03 PM
Can I add something? For the first part, "prone to having a group identity rather than an individual one" (goth, emo, etc.) I think this is less so in late adolescence and hopefully goes mostly, if not all, away by the time they're in their early twenties.

Uhhh...UNIFORMS.
Yes.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

deadfong

So how did this project turn out?  It went well, I hope.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ohhhh yes! The professor said it was the best presentation in the class, and we got an A. :) Thanks everyone!