News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Audiobook suggestions?

Started by Triple Zero, October 08, 2010, 10:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

So I'm going on a week holiday tomorrow (did I mention that yet? didn't really want to poke anyone's eyes out so, no) to ITALY :D ... but that means a 14-15 hour road trip from here. Fortunately I don't have to drive (for lack of a license, heh), so I can just kick back and relax.

As my netbook only has 5 hours in it at best, and I don't get a chance to recharge it, I thought maybe an audio book would be cool.

I really enjoyed the Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash as an audiobook, it's a cool story but most importantly the narrator was doing a really good job in reading it convincingly (even doing voices and accents).

Also I listened to a good part of the Illuminatus Trilogy audiobook, which was also narrated really well (IMO), although Snow Crash was a littlebit better.

In both cases it also helped that I already read the books (twice). Cause unlike a book, if you let go your attention for a moment, you miss a bit. But if you know how the story goes anyway you can judge whether it was important enough to rewind or not.

I also tried listening to Gibson's Count Zero in audiobook format, but it was pretty bad. Sound quality was poor (sometimes hard to understand, which is a problem with Gibson's use of complex language), and it seemed the narrator just put on a "hardboiled private eye" voice and start reading the book aloud like that. So that's an example of a bad audio book.

So I'm asking, anybody got any favourite audio books they enjoyed especially much?

(as you can maybe tell, my favourite genres tend to be cyberpunk, scifi and fantasy, especially if it's got some humour in.  but that's by no means exclusive)

Hmm I just thought, maybe I can find American Gods as an audiobook. I loved that one, and wanted to read it again anyway.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.