News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

Rev Roger, Welcome to the Monkey House, #5: Country Music and You.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 25, 2009, 09:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OPTIMUS PINECONE

"Sincere thought, real free thought, ready, in the name of superhuman authority or of humble common sense, to question the basis of what is officially taught and generally accepted, is less and less likely to thrive. It is, we repeat, by far easier to enslave a literate people than an illiterate one, strange as this may seem at first sight. And the enslavement is more likely to be lasting."   -Savitri Devi

"Great men of action... never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job, and at times they all are"   -Oswald Mosley

rong

i have to disagree with LMNO's bluegrass comment as there is some crazy dark bluegrass, too. check out the stanley brothers, for example.  rippin good harmonies those boys got.

also, i always mix up the lyrics (accidentaly, but to my personal delight) to hank williams why don't you love me as "my eyes are still curly and my hair is still blue"

i didn't really get into country until i got divorced.  yeah, i know it's cliche, but the truth is that i used to think those songs about drinking whiskey all day were made up, it took a divorce to make me realize they weren't bullshitting.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

fomenter

you say i am lost
i disagree
the map it has changed
and with it me

:lulz:
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Idem

Tiny Tim is a fucking GENIUS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_jlF-sRqk&feature=related

Anyway, yeah, I grew up in the same musical culture as RWHN.  I later learned that not all country is dolly pardon/bob willis clone after clone (johnny cash, etc).

The country station here is essentially this fucking song being played over and over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7DRtl6CTqc

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Idem on January 27, 2009, 03:02:44 AM
Tiny Tim is a fucking GENIUS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_jlF-sRqk&feature=related

Anyway, yeah, I grew up in the same musical culture as RWHN.  I later learned that not all country is dolly pardon/bob willis clone after clone (johnny cash, etc).

The country station here is essentially this fucking song being played over and over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7DRtl6CTqc

That ain't country.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Idem

Well when I use the word "pop" or "pop country" I just get weird looks from the locals

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Idem on January 27, 2009, 03:12:38 AM
Well when I use the word "pop" or "pop country" I just get weird looks from the locals

You need new locals.

Please turn the old ones in for replacement.

The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Idem on January 27, 2009, 03:02:44 AMI later learned that not all country is dolly pardon/bob willis clone after clone (johnny cash, etc).

What what

Dolly Parton is PURE AWESOME!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Idem

Quote from: Nigel on January 27, 2009, 05:17:48 AM
Quote from: Idem on January 27, 2009, 03:02:44 AMI later learned that not all country is dolly pardon/bob willis clone after clone (johnny cash, etc).

What what

Yes, she was.

10 dolly parton ripoffs in succession which get progressively worse are not.

The Good Reverend Roger

What what

:kingmeh:

TGRR,
Has killed radios with a hammer for playing "Hard Rock Candy Christmas".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2009, 05:39:12 AM

What what

:kingmeh:

TGRR,
Has killed radios with a hammer for playing "Hard Rock Candy Christmas".

Your fault for not seeking out her less radio-salable work.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."