Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

Chasing Eris

Started by Placid Dingo, June 29, 2012, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor D. Jennifer Phox on November 17, 2012, 04:54:14 AM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 17, 2012, 04:14:25 AM
Let me get to the point. You, sir, are the worst kind of snake-oil salesman. You don't actually care about representing "Discordia", you care about something else. Controversy, maybe? Getting the "big" names? Internet famous? Whatever. Doesn't matter. If you wanted to give an accurate portrayal of "modern Discordia", then Uncle BadTouch wouldn't be in it, and the rest of those who protested would. You are holding onto one (1) person's contributions, at the risk of losing... 5, 10, 50, 100? At what point is the loss enough?

Yanno, I hate to say it, Dingo, but Phox nailed it.

This is like asking Cardinal Law to represent the Catholic Church.

We don't know that HE is a pedophile. We just know that HE defended THEM.

And yes, I just made it local.

Because as bollocks as it is, I will always be a Bostonian. And I will always be a former Catholic.

But.

You can only shift around so much. Does "Father" John Geoghan represent Catholicism?

Would you interview him if he was murdered in retribution in jail?

Is the late/too early "Father" Geoghan a representation of Roman Catholicism?

Because, even though I'm just playing with Catholicism, I will not tolerate misrepresentative bullshit.

I will not tolerate painting priests as kiddie fuckers.

I will not tolerate Discordians being loveshaded.

See what I did there?

Write what you want.

Twid,
Bostonian. Catholic. Discordian. Worked with a Geoghan victim.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

PS. thanks for the open dialogue about this sensitive subject in advance of it becoming an issue.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 17, 2012, 04:27:10 AM
Dingo, I would like you to address my concerns, and admit that you're only doing this for journalistic integrity and that everyone who is still involved has been informed and can make a "fuck this guy I'm out" call.

Because I'm sorry.

Every group in the world has a fucking pedophile.

Do we need to point at ours, or should we just kick his ass and put him in jail?

What's his age limit? What jurisdiction does he live in?

Right now I'm busy, but posting to say I will address this.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 17, 2012, 05:34:18 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 17, 2012, 04:27:10 AM
Dingo, I would like you to address my concerns, and admit that you're only doing this for journalistic integrity and that everyone who is still involved has been informed and can make a "fuck this guy I'm out" call.

Because I'm sorry.

Every group in the world has a fucking pedophile.

Do we need to point at ours, or should we just kick his ass and put him in jail?

What's his age limit? What jurisdiction does he live in?

Right now I'm busy, but posting to say I will address this.

Thank you.

Because I like you on a personal level, but I honestly think you're damaging your project at this point, and I would hate to see you cut out a big chunk of Discordia in order to represent an insignificant chunk.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: CAKE on November 17, 2012, 05:09:54 AM
PS. thanks for the open dialogue about this sensitive subject in advance of it becoming an issue.  :lol:

It was only a matter of time wasn't it?

I mean, it's not like pedophilia is a notoriously big deal among a majority religious population in a historically and politically significant city in one of the most significant nation-states in the past couple of centuries, right?

Again, not trying to be a jerk, but ah... shit's getting dredged up right now, and I was never buggered by a collared man.

Twid,
Getting angry

Phox

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 17, 2012, 08:13:58 AM

I mean, it's not like pedophilia is a notoriously big deal among a majority religious population in a historically and politically significant city in one of the most significant nation-states in the past couple of centuries, right?

Again, not trying to be a jerk, but ah... shit's getting dredged up right now, and I was never buggered by a collared man.

Twid,
Getting angry
Uh, I think that she was talking about Dingo's handling of this whole thing, not your comment, Twid.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor D. Jennifer Phox on November 17, 2012, 08:52:49 AM

Twid,
Getting angry
Uh, I think that she was talking about Dingo's handling of this whole thing, not your comment, Twid.

Needed to be said either way.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: CAKE on November 17, 2012, 03:16:52 AM
One of the things that bothers me, and one of the reasons I don't want to be in any way associated with that "person", is that it doesn't matter how much I disavow sharing his views, it could affect my ability to get a job working with children or adolescents. "I'm not one of the ones who's into that" doesn't go very far.

In the unlikely event he becomes a public spokesperson for Discordia, and I am identified as associating with Discordians, the same could apply. Luckily that's incredibly improbable.

I am nauseated by the people who are saying "Well, he advocates some objectionable ideas about adults having sex with underage kids, but he's a fellow Discordian". That goes about as far with me as the Catholic Church saying "Well, he fondled a few altar boys, but he's a prominent figure in the Church" or the BBC saying "Well, he raped a few teenage girls, but his show gets good ratings".
IAWTC

I'm hoping to get into counselling or some kind of work with women's refuges or rape crisis centres, later down the line. I can't be involved without calling out this shit. If I call out this shit, it has the same effect as Twid's reference to a book on Norwegian metal.  Which is a shame, because the culture jamming aspect and how that fed into my feminism is something I really would have enjoyed doing an interview on.

East Coast Hustle

Y'know, guys, if you're really and truly interested in changing Dingo's mind and/or convincing the other people participating in the project to adopt your stance on this issue...perhaps your tactics need a little revision? I understand why Nigel has jumped straight to "FUCK THE FUCK YOU" mode because of being kicked from the FB group but all I see from anyone else here in communications to that group is a bunch of "hard-line one-liners" and what amounts to essentially dictating your terms to someone. which, of course, you have every right to do but which also does not make anybody want to really give much of a shit about what you're saying.

Just some food for thought from someone who really DOES think this project could be really cool and worthwhile and is having seemingly much better results on the FB group using calm and reason. Also someone who grows increasing annoyed with PD's tendency to climb up on a soapbox and stay there no matter what.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: CAKE on November 17, 2012, 05:05:50 AM
3. I have not and do not intend to unfriend anyone on Facebook. I suspect some of the people accusing me of doing so were never connected to me on Facebook to begin with. It's petty, passive aggressive behaviour, and I don't indulge in it.

That was just me. We were friends on Facebook, but after I saw I was blocked from the group I went to message you and found that we no longer were. I didn't unfriend you, so...

Same here.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 17, 2012, 03:26:45 PM
Y'know, guys, if you're really and truly interested in changing Dingo's mind and/or convincing the other people participating in the project to adopt your stance on this issue...perhaps your tactics need a little revision? I understand why Nigel has jumped straight to "FUCK THE FUCK YOU" mode because of being kicked from the FB group but all I see from anyone else here in communications to that group is a bunch of "hard-line one-liners" and what amounts to essentially dictating your terms to someone. which, of course, you have every right to do but which also does not make anybody want to really give much of a shit about what you're saying.

Just some food for thought from someone who really DOES think this project could be really cool and worthwhile and is having seemingly much better results on the FB group using calm and reason. Also someone who grows increasing annoyed with PD's tendency to climb up on a soapbox and stay there no matter what.

Fucker's hated me since the day he showed up.  So, yeah, I'm doing a little dance.

The idea isn't BAD, but the person executing it IS.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Lenin McCarthy

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 17, 2012, 03:57:42 PM
3. I have not and do not intend to unfriend anyone on Facebook. I suspect some of the people accusing me of doing so were never connected to me on Facebook to begin with. It's petty, passive aggressive behaviour, and I don't indulge in it.

That was just me. We were friends on Facebook, but after I saw I was blocked from the group I went to message you and found that we no longer were. I didn't unfriend you, so...

Same here.
You automatically unfriend people when you block them, I think.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: McCarthyesque Leninist on November 17, 2012, 04:25:03 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 17, 2012, 03:57:42 PM

Same here.
You automatically unfriend people when you block them, I think.

No, he unfriended me, so I blocked him.

Juana

I would personally be willing to come back to the project if Uncle BadTouch were booted. Frankly, I can't even figure out what he's contributed - sure, he's a big name in Discordia, but he doesn't seem to have gotten there in his own merit. I'm guessing you feel you have to include him? What do you gain from legitimizing his creeper ass and associating him with the rest of us with him. I don't want to risk it. Nigel can't afford it. Pixie can't afford it. Who else can't afford it? If you're going to go back to teaching, can you afford it?
Aside from losing you way more people to interview, like LMNO said, I'd like to be able to plug this to other people and I will refuse to if LS is included. Including him loses you people who would help get you a broader audience.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor D. Jennifer Phox on November 17, 2012, 08:52:49 AM

Twid,
Getting angry

I was, and it was tongue in cheek.

However, in all seriousness, I appreciate Twid's input a great deal, because I do agree with his analogy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."