News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

The Compiled Rugged Individualist Conversation

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 19, 2012, 02:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: hølist on December 20, 2012, 06:32:33 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2012, 06:04:44 PM
Quote from: hølist on December 20, 2012, 06:02:49 PM
And we're still buying it, en masse, as a nation... Individuality! Self-reliance! Every man for himself!

We've bought a history of American individual self-reliance that never existed and turned it into a religion that's tearing apart the unions and keeping us from things like decent jobs, equitable pay, and healthcare, all while being more conformist than we ever were before we started being ruggedly individualistic, dying our hair purple, and piercing our faces.

Holy shit, good job, America!

We're fucking GENIUSES at that shit.  And when I say "we", I mean each of us, individually.  Together.  But not in a collectivist sense, because that's for poor countries, like Canada and Europe.

:lol:

Funny thing:  Americans loudly defend a standard of living that their grandparents wouldn't have tolerated.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on December 20, 2012, 06:38:04 PM
I need to get my brain out of this travel-funk. Clearly this is one of the more important things that the PD Discordian Hive Mind has come up with recently, but I can't bring my thoughts into focus enough to create essays, pamphlets, or posters.

But I do think this needs to eventually crystallize into a GASM of some kind.

Or something.  A pamphlet, maybe.  GASMs have become participatory events in which nobody actually participates.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2012, 06:38:51 PM
And we're still buying it, en masse, as a nation... Individuality! Self-reliance! Every man for himself!

We've bought a history of American individual self-reliance that never existed and turned it into a religion that's tearing apart the unions and keeping us from things like decent jobs, equitable pay, and healthcare, all while being more conformist than we ever were before we started being ruggedly individualistic, dying our hair purple, and piercing our faces.

We're fucking GENIUSES at that shit.  And when I say "we", I mean each of us, individually.  Together.  But not in a collectivist sense, because that's for poor countries, like Canada and Europe.

Funny thing:  Americans loudly defend a standard of living that their grandparents wouldn't have tolerated.

:lulz: Fucking insane. And we're actively all about tearing apart the infrastructure that once gave us the reputation of being a great nation.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2012, 06:41:32 PM
Quote from: Cainad on December 20, 2012, 06:38:04 PM
I need to get my brain out of this travel-funk. Clearly this is one of the more important things that the PD Discordian Hive Mind has come up with recently, but I can't bring my thoughts into focus enough to create essays, pamphlets, or posters.

But I do think this needs to eventually crystallize into a GASM of some kind.

Or something.  A pamphlet, maybe.  GASMs have become participatory events in which nobody actually participates.

Yeah, unfortunately I think it might be time to retire the GASM. For now, anyway.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: hølist on December 20, 2012, 07:13:08 PM

:lulz: Fucking insane. And we're actively all about tearing apart the infrastructure that once gave us the reputation of being a great nation.

Michigan went "right to work".  MICHIGAN.

Eventually, we'll have to do the entire labor movement over again.

The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2012, 07:20:19 PM
Quote from: hølist on December 20, 2012, 07:13:08 PM

Michigan went "right to work".  MICHIGAN.

Eventually, we'll have to do the entire labor movement over again.

:x That's insane. Pure fucking insanity.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 20, 2012, 09:18:51 PM
:x That's insane. Pure fucking insanity.

HELLO, YOU MUST BE NEW HERE.  ALLOW YOU TO INTRODUCE YOU TO YOUR FELLOW PATIENTS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Pæs

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 19, 2012, 02:23:38 PM
Paes:  MUST RECONCILE NEED TO BE NOT THEM WITH NEED TO BE PART OF THEM
Think this was whichever holist is H0list. I've stopped paying attention.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on December 20, 2012, 09:30:09 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 19, 2012, 02:23:38 PM
Paes:  MUST RECONCILE NEED TO BE NOT THEM WITH NEED TO BE PART OF THEM
Think this was whichever holist is H0list. I've stopped paying attention.

I changed shit, for brevity's sake.  Also, I stopped paying attention.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 20, 2012, 05:38:13 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2012, 05:24:17 PM
Quote from: hølist on December 20, 2012, 05:19:14 PM
I've become fascinated with Asch's conformity experiments and the interesting results that people in Japan and Britain, countries which are (for good reason) widely thought of as more communally-oriented, scored significantly lower for conformity than Americans on those experiments. It creates a sort of "Individualism Paradox" in which those who consider themselves most fiercely individualistic, when put to the test, are actually more conforming, possibly because of a sense of insecurity resulting from their disconnection from community.

The dangers of conformity became a media talking point in the 1950's, and people were encouraged to express their individuality. So far I haven't found this "American Individualism and the Dangers of Conformity" meme earlier than that, but I haven't had time to do very much research. The rise of Nazi Germany was widely blamed on conformity.

At the end of the war, the economy was facing some problems and the US needed consumers, badly. I am starting to suspect that the post-war emergence of self expression and free love was in part engineered by corporations who were seeking to create the largest group of materialists ever to exist on the planet, and met with great success... the Baby Boomers.

In other words, I think that hippies were the unintended consequence of a marketing campaign.  :lol:

That makes a disturbing amount of sense.

Yeah, as soon as it started to click into place I got that creepy "OHSHI-" feeling.

The Pill.

Not birth control pills themselves, which are a GOOD thing, but all the 1060's media attention/buzz about THE PILL.

"THE WORLD IS NEVER GONNA BE THE SAME BECAUSE THE PILL"

Birth control existed prior to that.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division