News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Do What You Love

Started by LMNO, January 17, 2014, 04:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Yes, it's Slate, but it's interesting.

QuoteOne consequence... is the division that DWYL creates among workers, largely along class lines. Work becomes divided into two opposing classes: that which is lovable (creative, intellectual, socially prestigious) and that which is not (repetitive, unintellectual, undistinguished). Those in the lovable-work camp are vastly more privileged in terms of wealth, social status, education, society's racial biases, and political clout, while comprising a small minority of the workforce.

QuoteYet with the vast majority of workers effectively invisible to elites busy in their lovable occupations, how can it be surprising that the heavy strains faced by today's workers—abysmal wages, massive child care costs, etc.—barely register as political issues even among the liberal faction of the ruling class?
In ignoring most work and reclassifying the rest as love, DWYL may be the most elegant anti-worker ideology around. Why should workers assemble and assert their class interests if there's no such thing as work?

QuoteDWYL reinforces exploitation even within the so-called lovable professions, where off-the-clock, underpaid, or unpaid labor is the new norm: reporters required to do the work of their laid-off photographers, publicists expected to pin and tweet on weekends, the 46 percent of the workforce expected to check their work email on sick days. Nothing makes exploitation go down easier than convincing workers that they are doing what they love.
Instead of crafting a nation of self-fulfilled, happy workers, our DWYL era has seen the rise of the adjunct professor and the unpaid intern: people persuaded to work for cheap or free, or even for a net loss of wealth.

QuoteDo what you love and you'll never work a day in your life! Before succumbing to the intoxicating warmth of that promise, it's critical to ask, "Who, exactly, benefits from making work feel like nonwork?" "Why should workers feel as if they aren't working when they are?" In masking the very exploitative mechanisms of labor that it fuels, DWYL is, in fact, the most perfect ideological tool of capitalism.

The Good Reverend Roger

If no work gets done, everyone fucking starves.

Ergo, work must be done.

Therefore it is best to do work you enjoy.

Does that serve the system?  Who cares?

Fucking Slate.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I hear a "You're an at-will employee" a lot. Along with "You choose every day, to be here and do your best. If you can't do that or don't want to do that, then leave. It's your choice." I heard this almost every day at the last place I worked. Usually when I was pointing out OSHA violations or asking if I got overtime for the extended hours closers had to work on floor care nights.

Along the same lines and just as fucking stupid.

It's easy to talk down to the peons when you've got insurance and sick-leave and whatever else. It's also easy to make the manager scared like nothing else when he remembers what it was like to be a peon and how easy it is to be demoted back to that.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Sita

Their whole premise seems to be that people can only be doing what they love if it involves higher education or some kind of art.
There are plenty of people doing what they love in the way of construction, maintenance, farming, hell there are even people that are happy being maids and janitors.

It's stupid to think that someone being happy at their job is somehow a bad thing.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 17, 2014, 04:46:50 PM
I heard this almost every day at the last place I worked. Usually when I was pointing out OSHA violations or asking if I got overtime for the extended hours closers had to work on floor care nights.

How did you not report them for this?  That's JAIL TIME for the offending manager.  And deservedly so.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sita on January 17, 2014, 04:47:51 PM
It's stupid to think that someone being happy at their job is somehow a bad thing.

But very hip.

The idea of work you enjoy being bad because someone else might benefit from it is fucking retarded. 

It's really just the flipside of teabaggerism.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 17, 2014, 04:48:15 PM
I heard this almost every day at the last place I worked. Usually when I was pointing out OSHA violations or asking if I got overtime for the extended hours closers had to work on floor care nights.

How did you not report them for this?  That's JAIL TIME for the offending manager.  And deservedly so.

I made the reports 'along appropriate channels'. Nothing ever happened. When I went a more direct route, suddenly I was a bad employee who lied a lot and was really lazy.

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 17, 2014, 04:51:03 PM

I made the reports 'along appropriate channels'. Nothing ever happened. When I went a more direct route, suddenly I was a bad employee who lied a lot and was really lazy.

Which channels were those? 

If your employer told you that the corporate chain of command was appropriate, that too is jail time.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 17, 2014, 04:52:25 PM

If your employer told you that the corporate chain of command was appropriate, that too is jail time.

There was an 'independent' but affiliated number we were supposed to call any time we saw violations of any variety. Promised anonymity and quick response, etc. 'Cept anyone who called mysteriously became an awful employee.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 17, 2014, 05:27:42 PM

There was an 'independent' but affiliated number we were supposed to call any time we saw violations of any variety. Promised anonymity and quick response, etc. 'Cept anyone who called mysteriously became an awful employee.

https://www.osha.gov/oshdir/ga.html

It's never too late to spread a little love.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ooooo

you might want to talk to a lawyer about that. Or just call OSHA directly. That sounds HELL of illegal, on an epic scale.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 17, 2014, 04:07:21 PM

QuoteOne consequence... is the division that DWYL creates among workers, largely along class lines. Work becomes divided into two opposing classes: that which is lovable (creative, intellectual, socially prestigious) and that which is not (repetitive, unintellectual, undistinguished). Those in the lovable-work camp are vastly more privileged in terms of wealth, social status, education, society's racial biases, and political clout, while comprising a small minority of the workforce.

QuoteYet with the vast majority of workers effectively invisible to elites busy in their lovable occupations, how can it be surprising that the heavy strains faced by today's workers—abysmal wages, massive child care costs, etc.—barely register as political issues even among the liberal faction of the ruling class?
In ignoring most work and reclassifying the rest as love, DWYL may be the most elegant anti-worker ideology around. Why should workers assemble and assert their class interests if there's no such thing as work?

QuoteDWYL reinforces exploitation even within the so-called lovable professions, where off-the-clock, underpaid, or unpaid labor is the new norm: reporters required to do the work of their laid-off photographers, publicists expected to pin and tweet on weekends, the 46 percent of the workforce expected to check their work email on sick days. Nothing makes exploitation go down easier than convincing workers that they are doing what they love.
Instead of crafting a nation of self-fulfilled, happy workers, our DWYL era has seen the rise of the adjunct professor and the unpaid intern: people persuaded to work for cheap or free, or even for a net loss of wealth.

QuoteDo what you love and you'll never work a day in your life! Before succumbing to the intoxicating warmth of that promise, it's critical to ask, "Who, exactly, benefits from making work feel like nonwork?" "Why should workers feel as if they aren't working when they are?" In masking the very exploitative mechanisms of labor that it fuels, DWYL is, in fact, the most perfect ideological tool of capitalism.

I think I agree with their premise, actually.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 17, 2014, 05:39:01 PM

https://www.osha.gov/oshdir/ga.html

It's never too late to spread a little love.

That's what I like about you, Roger. You're always looking for ways to give back to the community.  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 17, 2014, 05:52:31 PM
That's what I like about you, Roger. You're always looking for ways to give back to the community.  :lulz:

I am having a really angry week.   :lulz:

hooplala

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 17, 2014, 05:45:08 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 17, 2014, 04:07:21 PM

I think I agree with their premise, actually.

I do too.

I'm reminded of something I read recently (can't remember where) which asked "Should people who love their job be paid less?"

Sure, they're already working on weekends and sick days... why not pay them less too?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman