News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Anansi Boys is cool. I liked American Gods better, but this one has a bit more humour in it. It's set in the same "universe" btw.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Kai

Just finished Darwin and the Barnacle - Rebecca Scott. Excellent biographical account of Darwin's early interest in marine invertebrates and the 10 years before publication of On the Origin of Species, which he spent writing four books on all barnacles, fossil and extant, just so he could place one strange species he found on a beach in Chile. His works on barnacles would be in use still today, even if hadn't gone on to publish his research on transmutation/descent with modification.

I'm /still/ in the process of reading Iliad for the second time. I read little bits and pieces here and there, mostly out loud. That story was designed to be spoken, and it's really epic listening to myself read it. Once I'm done with that I'll go back and read Odyssey again, then on to the TaNaKh, which I've been both anticipating and dreading simultaneously. And if I actually ever get through that, it's on to Aeschylus's plays, which are already sitting on my shelf, gathering dust.

On my bedside, I've got The Best American Science Writing 2009, the first volume/half of On the Descent of Man, the aformentioned Darwin and the Barnacle, the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (which makes for much more interesting reading than I thought, albeit slow), and multiple books on speciation, insect wing morphology and mult-level selection theory.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

And I agree with what the above people have said about WoT. The political maneuvering is well done, yet the characters have ended up so one dimensional, as has the plot. Not to mention, the ridiculous gender portrayals.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 21, 2010, 05:30:27 PM
Anansi Boys is cool. I liked American Gods better, but this one has a bit more humour in it. It's set in the same "universe" btw.

wasn't aware of that, but makes me want to read American Gods again.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Triple Zero

Well, I think the only thing that shows it, is that Mr Anansi himself makes a short appearance. I think it was somewhere near the end when all the gods gather at that place.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Epimetheus

Finally got around to the Illuminatus! Trilogy. Started today.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Bella

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 21, 2010, 05:30:27 PM

That's how I felt about Anansi Boys, too. It was great fun and had a lot of humor, but American Gods is a tough act to follow.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Eater of Clowns

I'll agree with the consensus here about Anansi Boys and American Gods, with two points.

1.  Following Gaiman's description of the raven woman in Anansi Boys, I have never been able to look at a bird's eyes the same way.  He is deadly accurate about them being wild, hungry, crazed, and merciless, and I see it in every god damn bird I encounter now.

2.  Neither of them had as powerfully disaffecting an ending as Neverwhere.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 22, 2010, 01:55:36 AM
I'll agree with the consensus here about Anansi Boys and American Gods, with two points.

1.  Following Gaiman's description of the raven woman in Anansi Boys, I have never been able to look at a bird's eyes the same way.  He is deadly accurate about them being wild, hungry, crazed, and merciless, and I see it in every god damn bird I encounter now.

Have you ever looked into the eyes of a raven? It's a life changing experience.

Telarus

Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 22, 2010, 03:10:42 AM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 22, 2010, 01:55:36 AM

Have you ever looked into the eyes of a raven? It's a life changing experience.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Placid Dingo

Quote from: ϗ on November 21, 2010, 05:49:12 PM
Just finished Darwin and the Barnacle - Rebecca Scott. Excellent biographical account of Darwin's early interest in marine invertebrates and the 10 years before publication of On the Origin of Species, which he spent writing four books on all barnacles, fossil and extant, just so he could place one strange species he found on a beach in Chile. His works on barnacles would be in use still today, even if hadn't gone on to publish his research on transmutation/descent with modification.

I'm /still/ in the process of reading Iliad for the second time. I read little bits and pieces here and there, mostly out loud. That story was designed to be spoken, and it's really epic listening to myself read it. Once I'm done with that I'll go back and read Odyssey again, then on to the TaNaKh, which I've been both anticipating and dreading simultaneously. And if I actually ever get through that, it's on to Aeschylus's plays, which are already sitting on my shelf, gathering dust.

On my bedside, I've got The Best American Science Writing 2009, the first volume/half of On the Descent of Man, the aformentioned Darwin and the Barnacle, the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (which makes for much more interesting reading than I thought, albeit slow), and multiple books on speciation, insect wing morphology and mult-level selection theory.

I read Illiad and liked some of it, but it felt a bit repetitious for personal reading.

Currently reading the Oddessy though, and love it. It's very funny in places too.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Kai

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 22, 2010, 06:47:31 AM

I read Illiad and liked some of it, but it felt a bit repetitious for personal reading.

Currently reading the Oddessy though, and love it. It's very funny in places too.

Iliad at this point is definitely one of my favorite books of all time. Odyssey is shorter, but I don't think quite as excellent reading. Both demand being read out loud, though.

I went to a party last night and in addition to aquiring a beautiful cognac glass, the host was giving away part of her library. So I now have Godel Escher Bach and Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions added to the stack.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

Quote from: ϗ on November 22, 2010, 03:41:09 PM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 22, 2010, 06:47:31 AM

Iliad at this point is definitely one of my favorite books of all time. Odyssey is shorter, but I don't think quite as excellent reading. Both demand being read out loud, though.

I went to a party last night and in addition to aquiring a beautiful cognac glass, the host was giving away part of her library. So I now have Godel Escher Bach and Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions added to the stack.

GEB's on my immediate reading list as well, once I'm done with The Rise and the Fall of the Third Reich by Shirer.  Again.  But taking notes this time.