News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

Fictionpussy Galore

Started by Captain Utopia, August 06, 2010, 07:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Utopia

I'm not going to fight you Roger, I'll just simply leave PD.com if it comes down to it  We have another child coming in October, and I certainly don't have the time or energy to waste on a pointless internet battle, you know?

This isn't a fail thread because it doesn't have "unlimited" or "fail" in the title - fine - I was unaware of that narrow definition, and I take back the part about this being a fail thread.

Third and final time - where is the personal attack on you Roger?  If you refuse to debate the issues then I'm out of here.  You win - simple as that.

Kai

Quote from: Khara on August 06, 2010, 07:47:01 PM
If you get your idea from someone else, you give a nod.  If you get inspiration from someone else, you give a nod.  

A whole this came about because of a conversation I had with whoever a while back....  

Or a recent conversation with so and so inspired me.

It is common courtesy and the right thing to do.

Anything else is just another form of plagiarism.

While the regular members HERE recognized this as Dok's original idea, I doubt people who read Cram's blog know that, nor would anyone new.

This was not just a simple taking an idea and running with it.  Too much was written in exact verbage to accept that theory.  

I wonder if anyone would mind if I run a bit with this....(no pun intended).

In studying academic integrity, I've found there are two different types of plagiarism.

1) Taking someone else's ideas and forwarding them as my own.

2) Taking someone else's work (=content) and forwarding it as my own.

The first is as Khara mentioned in the first line. In an academic setting, if I take someone else's idea in my work, I cite it. In non academic settings there are less formal ways to attribute, but I still attribute. There's absolutely nothing wrong with such sorts of syntheses of ideas as long as there is attribution. And it's a very black and white field: either someone has attributed, or they haven't.

The second is much trickier, not only to determine whether I myself am plagiarizing, but whether someone else is. Directly taking from someone else's work requires not only attribution but also clear quotation. But there are gradients. How much paraphrasing is needed before the wording is now your work and no longer theirs? I find more people struggle with this question than any other in the topic of plagiarism. Failure at paraphrase is also, more often than not, the reason students come before the integrity panel at my university.

Where do I draw the line? If I am just directly paraphrasing something someone else wrote, without any synthesis of ideas, I might as well just quote it. Because without synthesis, it really isn't mine no matter how much I change the syntax and vocabulary. Without synthesis, I'm just remixing with a different beat track, copying notes. There's nothing original. Works, written musical and other, will always include "both ancient and new" (ironically quoting Reggie Watts - Fuck Shit Stack). The synthesis is what makes it original.

In conclusion,

1) Always cite or attribute ideas that were not spawned from one's own mind, unless the idea is so well known that the average schmoe off the street would know it (eg Columbus sailed to the west indies in 1492). Less formally, if you know the idea didn't come from you and you know where it came from, cite or attribute.

2) Paraphrase to the point of idea synthesis, or quote in full. The latter isn't original, but at least it's not dishonest.

Moving along...
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Captain Dystopia on August 06, 2010, 09:30:13 PM

I'm not going to fight you Roger,

Then why did you come in sniping?

I'll just simply leave PD.com if it comes down to it  We have another child coming in October, and I certainly don't have the time or energy to waste on a pointless internet battle, you know?

Ta ta!  Don't forget to write!

This isn't a fail thread because it doesn't have "unlimited" or "fail" in the title - fine - I was unaware of that narrow definition, and I take back the part about this being a fail thread.

Bullshit.  You've been around long enough to know the way that's ALWAYS done.

Third and final time - where is the personal attack on you Roger?  If you refuse to debate the issues then I'm out of here.  You win - simple as that.

There remains the attack on my ethics as a mod.  While that is hanging out there, there can be no debate whatsoever.  When you return, and you will - everyone except Fomentor has (and he will eventually) - I will still be waiting for your answer.  Ask Hugh how long I can hold a grudge.
Molon Lube

AFK

Quote from: Captain Dystopia on August 06, 2010, 07:50:15 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 06, 2010, 07:42:56 PM
Fictionpuss knows this.  He's just stirring shit because he's still butthurt about the E-democracy thing.

:lulz:

I'm really not.  Have I mentioned it since then?  Have I demonstrated a grudge of any kind towards anyone who participated in that thread?  No.  It's delusional to suggest otherwise.

That's a pile of horseshit.  You've made a couple of snide comments my way since that thread.  One in the love thread that Dimo started for example.  Also in the thread in the meta section talking about a place to hash out ideas.  Anytime an idea of yours gets challenged in any way you get butthurt and start whining.  That's pretty much how you entered the forum with the belly patting whatever the fuck that was thread.  I don't understand why if you can't stand the heat you stay in the fucking kitchen. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

RWHN is pissed? Damn.

Now that takes talent!

AFK

Yeah, even the court jester loses his shit every now and again.   :lol:

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 06, 2010, 11:37:20 PM
Yeah, even the court jester loses his shit every now and again.   :lol:

:lulz:

I didn't mean it that way.

Captain Utopia

Ah, this is as good a place as any.  I re-read this thread today, and something didn't sit right.  Now I think I know what that is - I took a thread-tidyup combined with a title-rename and exaggerated it as an "abuse of mod powers".  Dick move.  Sorry about that, Dok.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Captain Utopia on January 22, 2011, 04:34:00 AM

Ah, this is as good a place as any.  I re-read this thread today, and something didn't sit right.  Now I think I know what that is - I took a thread-tidyup combined with a title-rename and exaggerated it as an "abuse of mod powers".  Dick move.  Sorry about that, Dok.

Cool, you're back. Now I can ask you the question.

Who is your avatar?

A bit off topic but it was bugging me.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Captain Utopia

It's this guy:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiL_lzQvCAM

From this awesome (not really) film with nipple toting robots and half naked chicks and the hoff in tight leather running around the haunted stars.  You are about to be hurled.  Remember to have some eye bleach ready before clicking:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfuNSpP0RA

Nephew Twiddleton

I...

I have to watch this movie.... I don't want to, but I have to.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Captain Utopia on January 22, 2011, 04:34:00 AM

No sweat.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.