News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Terms govern understanding

Started by Jasper, March 06, 2007, 12:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Just a few ideas I had as far as building an AI.  Pretty rough notes, and I don't plan on unpacking a lot of this if it doesn't interest me to do so, I just want it typed somewhere on the net.  This is also going on my blargh tonight as the first entry.

Terms Govern Understanding, and an intelligence either organic or synthetic:

-Relates uncorrelated data to known terms
-Creates and Learns new terms
-Extrapolates new patterns of data to existing terms
-Optimalizes terms' definitions by continually testing vague terms
-Establishes metaconventions for apropriate use of terms in conflicting situations

Metaconventions

"I know that it is considered foolish to run with scissors.  That is a useful convention for general safety.  I am also aware that in a medical emergency sometimes scissors are used by doctors and must be retrieved quickly, so I'll break the running with scissors convention for the sake of a more urgent one."

-The meaning/value of each convention is the metaconvention, critical data for effective use of convention-oriented intelligence.

Jasper

Percept

AI "percept" is the base layer of abstract thought.  The abstract "object" of a whole set of perceptions and senses and ideas of a certain name or category.  Raw input is sense; organized, it becomes perceptual, and the conprehended thing is the percept. 

AI would use percept thinking as a building block of abstract understanding and therefore sentience.

Jasper