News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

The Berlin Wall.

Started by Suu, November 09, 2014, 01:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

I know it's still early in the day, but I'm finding a considerable lack of posting on social media on what today IS, and why it's important.

25 years ago, I was in 2nd Grade. My teacher, the very awesome Mrs. Melanik, rolled the TV out, and we sat there in awe as we watched the Berlin Wall being ripped down by Germans from both sides. I went home, and continued watched the coverage with my parents. And I still, clear to this day, hear my mom's voice, "Suu, this is history, and you will remember this day for the rest of your life."

If this was 9-11, there would be NEVER FORGET OMG!!! Littering the internet, but it's not. Why is there no 11-9-89? What is so wrong with our society that we need to celebrate tragedies over victories? It wasn't just a momentous occasion for Germany, it effected the world as a whole. It was the end of the Cold War, the collapse of the Iron Curtain, and a shockwave that disrupted the maps of Europe for a decade. Is it not relevant because the Millennials weren't born yet and aren't chatting it up unlike how they were 5 during 9-11 and remember oh-so-much about it?

Maybe now, because the world is on a brink of yet another Cold War, leaders have their heads so far up their asses that they can't even pay attention to the milestone we already had to overcome to get where we are today. Maybe they don't want us to remember that yes, it is possible to make people come together, and not fracture. Maybe they want us to forget.

Or maybe, I'm just too emotionally attached to the Berlin Wall as my Generation's momentous event. As something that changed the massive Mercator Projection maps across my classrooms through Middle School as I watched the USSR dissolve and the Balkans violently shatter. Maybe it's just because my mom told me not to forget.

Meh.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I'm more interested in seeing if this gets reported:

All knocking down of walls is not equal, of course.

Suu

Oh yeah, that illegal wall in Jerusalem.

It probably won't, at least not in the states. Palestine are the bad guys because they're Muslim. Not that East Germany weren't bad guys for being Communist, or anything, but Germans aren't brown.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Yeah.  In fact, if anything, our world seems to have more walls now than it did with the Communists around.

Israel, the USA, Europe's various walls...all have much higher death tolls than the Berlin Wall, too.  But since they're protecting doubleplus good systems, they get a free pass.

Suu

I was also just reminded it's the anniversary of Kristallnacht. Oof.

Cain

Ouch.  Yeah, that's one that I'd rather there wasnt a need to remember it.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on November 09, 2014, 04:33:05 PM
Yeah.  In fact, if anything, our world seems to have more walls now than it did with the Communists around.

For some reason, I found this to be quite important.  I would willing read a long essay on this subject.

To be clear, this is not a passive-agressive request for Cain to write said essay.

Bruno

What? Fox news isn't taking this opportunity to talk about Reagan all day?
Formerly something else...

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 09, 2014, 06:15:24 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 09, 2014, 04:33:05 PM

For some reason, I found this to be quite important.  I would willing read a long essay on this subject.

To be clear, this is not a passive-agressive request for Cain to write said essay.

It's just a friendly nudge.  :lulz:

Suu

Also, this has made me realize that most of my older friends probably thought I was their age, and I thought they were closer to my age.

:eek:

"You were only 7? How is that possible? I was a freshman in college!"

Spacefolding: The troof behind adulthood in your 30s and 40s.

Bruno

I was a senior in high school. I remember one of my teachers being dead set against it. She was sure they would try and take over the world. This was the same teacher who was against inter-racial dating, you know, for the children. She was half Native American, or something. Apparently, she didn't appreciate her parents doing that to her.

It was all very confusing.

Suu

Quote from: Emo Howard on November 09, 2014, 08:02:26 PM
I was a senior in high school. I remember one of my teachers being dead set against it. She was sure they would try and take over the world. This was the same teacher who was against inter-racial dating, you know, for the children. She was half Native American, or something. Apparently, she didn't appreciate her parents doing that to her.

Sounds like she would be good friends with my 5th grade teacher that told me the Holocaust never happened.

Bruno

Quote from: The Suu on November 09, 2014, 09:02:22 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on November 09, 2014, 08:02:26 PM

Sounds like she would be good friends with my 5th grade teacher that told me the Holocaust never happened.

I'm sure they would have had an "interesting" "debate".