News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Turtles all the way down

Started by Ishkur, April 13, 2012, 07:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nigel on April 15, 2012, 04:45:45 AM
Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 15, 2012, 04:41:58 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 15, 2012, 04:37:55 AM
Quote from: navkat on April 14, 2012, 08:19:01 PM
We're getting more and more to a point in society where nobody cares and unless you can give a logical reason why they should, there's no point in them showing you any mercy or kindness.

I dunno... I find a lot of human kindness here.

It's been my experience that people will do kind things without really thinking about it, but if asked why will fabricate a logical justification.

Really?

Like what?

Mostly Army stuff. new soldiers will invariably be surprised with older soldiers helping them in some way. The obvious reason is because they aren't jerks and just help without a reason, but when asked, it's always "well we are all family here" or something else along those lines.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Nigel on April 15, 2012, 04:43:09 AM
Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 14, 2012, 08:32:38 PM
There's logic in giving a shit about people, whether anybody sees it or not. We're pack animals, we need the others. It's just that society tends to push the idea that we all need to be self-sufficient, look out for number one, fuck the others, the poor LIKE living like that, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

You hear things like "according to logic, bumblebees can't fly" (but they finally found the logic of how that's done) and "If the world ran on logic, all the men would ride sidesaddle" (any guy who gets on a horse can figure out how to sit so his nuts don't get pulverized).

A lot of Buddhism is logical as fuck and it still emphasizes compassion.

I just don't think all logic is necessarily cold. Even Spock knew not to treat people like crap.

Logic that takes reality into account is often called "science". Logic that is based on idealism is often called "fascism".

Idealism is flawed logic anyway, isn't it?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 15, 2012, 04:49:04 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 15, 2012, 04:45:45 AM
Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 15, 2012, 04:41:58 AM
We're getting more and more to a point in society where nobody cares and unless you can give a logical reason why they should, there's no point in them showing you any mercy or kindness.

It's been my experience that people will do kind things without really thinking about it, but if asked why will fabricate a logical justification.

Really?

Like what?

Mostly Army stuff. new soldiers will invariably be surprised with older soldiers helping them in some way. The obvious reason is because they aren't jerks and just help without a reason, but when asked, it's always "well we are all family here" or something else along those lines.

Ah... but that's not a logical explanation, that's an emotional explanation.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 15, 2012, 04:49:34 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 15, 2012, 04:43:09 AM
Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 14, 2012, 08:32:38 PM
There's logic in giving a shit about people, whether anybody sees it or not. We're pack animals, we need the others. It's just that society tends to push the idea that we all need to be self-sufficient, look out for number one, fuck the others, the poor LIKE living like that, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

You hear things like "according to logic, bumblebees can't fly" (but they finally found the logic of how that's done) and "If the world ran on logic, all the men would ride sidesaddle" (any guy who gets on a horse can figure out how to sit so his nuts don't get pulverized).

A lot of Buddhism is logical as fuck and it still emphasizes compassion.

I just don't think all logic is necessarily cold. Even Spock knew not to treat people like crap.

Logic that takes reality into account is often called "science". Logic that is based on idealism is often called "fascism".

Idealism is flawed logic anyway, isn't it?

Absolutely.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

navkat

I didn't mean here. I was in a shitty fucking mood. Cynical as fuck all. I still am but I realize my head's in my asshole now, even if I'm having trouble dislodging it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat on April 15, 2012, 07:22:14 AM

I didn't mean here. I was in a shitty fucking mood. Cynical as fuck all. I still am but I realize my head's in my asshole now, even if I'm having trouble dislodging it.

It's OK. The important thing is that you know that there is a lot of human kindness, even if it's not manifesting in your immediate area.

navkat

I started to read that as "That's OK, the important thing is you know where it is..." (in reference to the location of my head).