News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

What makes us so different?

Started by Requia ☣, June 23, 2008, 02:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Mu-Chao

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 02, 2008, 09:43:23 PM
I have begun to wonder if we truly ever 'switch to a new map', as opposed to simply bringing another map up in a tab and focusing on it. Do we ever discard older maps completely?

I don't think so - when you learn something new, I think that experience is colored by the map you are using at the moment. For example, as I said in another thread, Illuminatus is a young adult book. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the people I have met who truly love that book (or certain others, like many of Hesse's) read it before they were 25. Re-reading it now, I still enjoy it as much as I originally did, perhaps because my concept of that book was colored by those previous maps... but if I experienced it now for the first time, I doubt it would have the same profound effect on my life.

Maybe that disregards nostalgia and makes other unwarranted assumptions, but take another example like how you feel about a person you have met in the past that you disliked because they did something that you did not like or agree with - I'm sure we all have one. The next time you meet that person, you are going to carry that feeling with you whether you have a new map or not - whether you still think that what they did was wrong. That person can do something that changes your feelings about them, but all that does is update that small portion of the map you are using - the next time you meet them, using a different map, those residual beliefs about that person will stand unless overturned again.
"Is it weird in here or is it me?" - Ambrose Bierce

LHX

i have no idea what specifically makes this place different

for me it was just process of elimination

other places made me feel not interested

plus - this forum has people with the skill to build their own forums - so in the instances where it turned into a piece of shit, the resourceful people bounced and set up shop elsewhere

1. its useful
2. nobody is obliged to stay
3. there is appreciation and acknowledgment of effort
4. there is a low tolerance for bullshit
5. humor
6. love

in retrospect tho - having been away from the forum for a while - i find it strange that this forum is mostly pale-skinned people, and i rarely get this caliber of discussion with white folk in the offline world
neat hell

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Requiem on June 23, 2008, 02:01:05 AM
What, exactly, makes us so different than every other modern counter culture that thinks it figured something out the rest of the masses didn't?

We have you.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I think the reason that we're different is that we can't agree on why we're different, and indeed, whether or not we are different, and whether or not that's meaningful. And I think some of us are okay with that, except sometimes.

This thread is six pages long now. The more you all disagree with this interpretation, the more supporting evidence I have for it. Enjoy.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Manta Obscura on October 28, 2008, 05:43:06 PM
What, exactly, makes us so different than every other modern counter culture that thinks it figured something out the rest of the masses didn't?

We have you.

Shit, best answer ever.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Nigel on November 12, 2008, 01:45:28 AM

We have you.

Shit, best answer ever.

:thanks:
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: vexati0n on June 23, 2008, 05:32:41 AM
every reply so far has been empty posturing.

the answer is simple: it's because we are right, and they are wrong.

Remember this?

Ho ho!

Dok,
Agrees, of course.
Molon Lube

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Requia ☣

We have you.

Shit, best answer ever.

I never really understood that answer.  Is it supposed to mean that we're willing to question ourselves, or is it some we're all unique as individuals thing?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

BadBeast

I haven't got a clue. Maybe it's both of those things. And so much more besides. That's what I think anyway.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Triple Zero

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 21, 2011, 05:58:42 AM

We have you.

Shit, best answer ever.

I never really understood that answer.  Is it supposed to mean that we're willing to question ourselves, or is it some we're all unique as individuals thing?

No. Sorry Requia ... it's not us. It's you.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.