News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Can we talk about me now? (Open bar thread #3,494)

Started by Juana, October 04, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 25, 2012, 08:18:04 PM
Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on October 25, 2012, 08:10:22 PM

I said thank you, walked out of there, and thought...was that at all useful? REALLY? DID I JUST WASTE MY TIME?!? What good advice he gave I was already doing, and the rest contradicted what I'm learning from experiment. So, basically, I'm done with this advice. DONE. I'mma listen to my body, and if I feel good and my blood sugar levels look good, then I'mma do it. Regardless of whatever self proclaimed expert says. DAMN.

Self-proclaimed?

I thought he was a doctor.  Anyway, you're right.  You should stick with your opinion on what's good for you.  Don't listen to those secular "doctors" and their "science".  You should totally experiment with your metabolism.

These people can help you:  http://www.mystickwicks.com

Yeah, because eating sugary fruits TOTALLY FUCKING WORKED FOR ME when my blood sugar was high. Right. I should just keep on eating bananas every morning even though it makes me feel like shit.

You know what, fuck this shit. I don't need this, especially from you of all people.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Juana

If your doctor is not listening to you when you tell him what your body is telling you, you may wish to get a second opinion.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on October 25, 2012, 08:36:15 PM
Quote from: Man Yellow on October 25, 2012, 08:18:04 PM

I said thank you, walked out of there, and thought...was that at all useful? REALLY? DID I JUST WASTE MY TIME?!? What good advice he gave I was already doing, and the rest contradicted what I'm learning from experiment. So, basically, I'm done with this advice. DONE. I'mma listen to my body, and if I feel good and my blood sugar levels look good, then I'mma do it. Regardless of whatever self proclaimed expert says. DAMN.

Self-proclaimed?

I thought he was a doctor.  Anyway, you're right.  You should stick with your opinion on what's good for you.  Don't listen to those secular "doctors" and their "science".  You should totally experiment with your metabolism.

These people can help you:  http://www.mystickwicks.com

Yeah, because eating sugary fruits TOTALLY FUCKING WORKED FOR ME when my blood sugar was high. Right. I should just keep on eating bananas every morning even though it makes me feel like shit.

You know what, fuck this shit. I don't need this, especially from you of all people.

No, you don't.  And you don't need to be playing games with your pancreas, either.

I'd suggest you get a second opinion, and maybe talk to a proper nuitrionist.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Once i acquire black pantyhose my costume should be complete.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 25, 2012, 07:45:07 PM
Quote from: Man Green on October 25, 2012, 06:12:58 PM
I had this text conversation with my daughter last night:

QuoteJ: When should i be home

K: 6

J: Mom that's in 20 minutes

K: It was in 45 minutes when I sent that.

J: Oh

K: OK whatever, get here before raped-and-stabbed-to-death-by-a-greasy-hobo thirty. What time do you think you should be home for matters of safety and responsibility? Whatever time that is, that's when I want you home.

J: OK ok I will start heading home jesus

I'm so unreasonable.   :lol:

I wonder what would happen if she said, "Great, see you at 11:30!"

I would remind her that's past her bedtime.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So, I go to the doctor to talk about last week's test results today.

He tells me, due to my impaired fasting glucose levels, I've got a percent chance of developing diabetes over the next 5 years. Unless I change my diet and exercise routine. I tell him what I've been doing.

I say, I've cut all sugary fruits out of my diet. He says, no, you shouldn't do that, sugary fruits are fine to keep in, they're full of nutrients.

I say, for example, bananas in the morning have been a bad idea for me. He says, that doesn't make sense, bananas are mostly starch.

I say, bread is also a problem, and I've been eating wheat bread. He says, wheat bread should be fine.

I tell him, potatoes on the other hand don't seem to be causing me problems. He says, that doesn't make any sense, potatoes have a high glycemic index.

So, basically, everything I've been learning from paying attention to my body, my moods and my blood sugar levels, he throws back in my face with contradictory advice.

Then he hands me an article on lowering blood pressure with exercise. Which is hilarious, because my blood pressure is already quite low, and if it was lower I would start having problems. It's low enough that I have trouble getting enough blood to test myself.

Sounds like it might be a good idea to go to a different doctor, and also to look at what you've been eating WITH your wheat bread and potatoes, and what time of day, to see if that helps give you any clues. Potatoes do have a high glycemic index, and so it is odd that you should be able to eat those without a blood sugar spike, and not wheat bread, which has a much lower one. So there may be some other factors involved.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, for the love of science, don't go the "I'll listen to my body" route unless you are backing it up very carefully with monitoring to make sure that you're reading your body accurately. When people get sick or injured, or even just very stressed out, often their brain's interpretation of the signals they receive from their bodies goes all cattywompus, which is why it happens so often that a person "felt just fine" and kept doing the things that were killing them.

I can't tell you how many times I've had my ex almost bite my head off because I suggested his blood sugar might be low or high, because HE FELT JUST FINE DON'T TELL ME WHAT I NEED.

So just back up your impressions with your blood sugar monitor, to be certain.

Luna

Quote from: Man Green on October 25, 2012, 10:39:40 PM
Also, for the love of science, don't go the "I'll listen to my body" route unless you are backing it up very carefully with monitoring to make sure that you're reading your body accurately. When people get sick or injured, or even just very stressed out, often their brain's interpretation of the signals they receive from their bodies goes all cattywompus, which is why it happens so often that a person "felt just fine" and kept doing the things that were killing them.

I can't tell you how many times I've had my ex almost bite my head off because I suggested his blood sugar might be low or high, because HE FELT JUST FINE DON'T TELL ME WHAT I NEED.

So just back up your impressions with your blood sugar monitor, to be certain.

This.

I've had diabetics in the family...  The guy my mom's seeing is one.  Mom carries a spare monitor in her purse, because he won't fucking listen to her when she suggests he may be out of whack, until she makes him check.  She's usually right.  (I am used to this, my mother has never been wrong in my whole fucking life, I swear to everything holy.)

If you can't get along with your doctor, get that second opinion.  This is too important to fuck around with.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Pope Pixie Pickle

aaan i just had a massive anxiety attack. Wednesday I have to notify the landlord of the need to change the contract... We don't know if our Pet Student is staying or not, I already turned down a potential housemate, but one of the other folks from my femininja group is looking for a place with cheap rent, and I'll find out Sunday what's going on with that.

so much faffing around I don't even!

someone give me a good reason not to go stabbing people with crochet hooks!

Luna

Quote from: Pixie on October 26, 2012, 12:47:47 AM

someone give me a good reason not to go stabbing people with crochet hooks!

You'd need to find new roommates, and they might be worse than the ones you've already got.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Juana

Better to have crappy-but-unstabbed roommates than to have to have jail cell               mates?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 26, 2012, 01:58:04 AM
Better to have crappy-but-unstabbed roommates than to have to have jail cell               mates?

As I said, my mate Joy is coming over to have a looksee at a room on Sunday, but it's cutting it hella fine, which is not what I need for sanity.

They aren't worth even a replacement crochet hook, let alone jail time, fo' sho'.

Juana

Hope that works out for ya, Pixie.

Got a new keyboard for my kindle. The keys stick a lot, which is annoying as fuck. Anyone else dealt with this/have sugestions?

tyrannosaurus vex

The keys on.my keyboard stick sometimes. But I don't think it's the same problem.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 26, 2012, 03:08:35 AM
Hope that works out for ya, Pixie.

Got a new keyboard for my kindle. The keys stick a lot, which is annoying as fuck. Anyone else dealt with this/have sugestions?

Oh fuck, do I hope this works out... Joy is an Anarchist feminist librarian at the University, and non-binary, so I'm never sure what pronoun to use , generally lovely and smart and bipedal, and is firm in the fact that (and I quote) "i'm not a special snowflake" which kind of made me squee inside.