News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Things you HATE

Started by Richter, May 01, 2012, 02:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Forsooth

Quote from: navkat on May 01, 2012, 03:08:26 AM
MARSHMALLOWS ON TOP OF THE YAMS.

southern Sweet potato casserole has enough sugar that it gets rerouted into my dessert stomach, allowing me to eat more other unhealthy things.   Dessert for dinner.

Just like Reese's for Breakfast

CUCKOO FOR COCAINE COCOA PUFFS

Lenin McCarthy

The ATM that ate my bank card.

Garden maintenance.

Depression. Social anxiety. People who use the aforementioned conditions as an excuse to not care about anything.

People who use alcohol as an excuse to not care about anything.

The fact that I have 4 hours of class and 4 hours of lunch break at school tomorrow.

Al Qədic

Undeserved redemption arcs and subsequent hero status for Nazis/supremacists/cult leaders/unhinged lunatics (the not fun kind)/etc. I'm looking at you, Steven Universe and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic! :argh!:

Defeat Means Friendship is one thing, but seriously, quit redeeming sad Nazis. It doesn't make you look good, writer people, it makes you look stupid at best and like a Nazi apologist at worst.
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

Doktor Howl

Well, you're not wrong.

Never seen those shows, though.
Molon Lube

Al Qədic

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 26, 2019, 04:23:08 AM
Well, you're not wrong.

Never seen those shows, though.
That's...probably for the better, beyond being great examples of how not to do certain characters and tropes. The former was a good idea that got bogged down by sad Nazis, lukewarm LGBT representation, an abysmal scheduling system, and unfortunate implications (among other things), while the latter started strong and surprisingly smart for a kid's show, but went downhill with increasingly meh musical numbers, and terrible people getting redemptions who really don't deserve them (among other things). Both tried to be great, both failed, one moreso than the other in my opinion.
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,

altered

I don't watch TV shows, even, but I like this new guy.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Bruno

Wait, what's wrong with Stephen Universe, now?

That show has never been anything but awesome, though I have yet to see the most recent season.
Formerly something else...

Al Qədic

Quote from: nullified on January 26, 2019, 07:29:38 AM
I don't watch TV shows, even, but I like this new guy.
D'aww, I feel so loved~
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,

Al Qədic

Quote from: Emo Howard on January 26, 2019, 08:22:15 AM
Wait, what's wrong with Stephen Universe, now?

That show has never been anything but awesome, though I have yet to see the most recent season.
Well...it's complicated, and maybe even a bit snobby and passé, but in a nutshell...
...the idea of the show is great; unigender lesbian space rocks save the world with a doofy lovable chubby human kid. That's how the show started out with its monster of the week format. But as it went on, Rebecca Sugar continued to make more and more questionable decisions with the show's writing, pacing, and direction: examples being...

Expanding the scope of the story out to a galactic empire, but still bumming around Beach City for a larf with boring, annoying human characters that don't serve anything to the plot.

The gross number of long hiatuses, mixed with the filler that came with the above statement, meant we got a break from the story...after we just got a break from the story. Multiple times.

Vilifying Bismuth (for a while) for wanting to murder Nazis The Diamonds.

Making a fusion between a black-coded gem (Garnet) and another black (or maybe Latina?)-coded gem (Amethyst) turn into an ape-like destructive creature with no self control who needs to be subdued by the whitest of the main cast. But remember, when Pearl is part of a fusion, that gem is graceful and suave as fuck.

Concrete. Enough said.

Having a human zoo in the story, which was explained by one staff member as "their excuse to draw as many hot people in a hippie commune as possible"...even though human zoos were a legitimate and terrifying thing back when Africa was colonized by Europe.

Having Rose actually be Pink Diamond, which means she pulled the strings of the war from both sides, then fucked off to Earth to fuck humans and ditch responsibility, all while stringing along her slave Pearl in an unrequited master/slave Diamond/Pearl love story.

Giving Nazis The Diamonds a redemption (because "we're family!") even though they still really wanted to kill the closest thing to a family Steven has ever had.

And more!

Trust me, I really enjoyed the show too. The characters were fun, and quirky. Peridot is still a lovable smol bean. Stevonnie is a neat concept at the absolute least. But between the hiatuses, the filler, and the unfortunate implications, I just...can't not say something. I'll leave you with this, even though linking to a critique of an LGBT-forward show by an LGBT person is controversial in and of itself, I think her ideas might shine through better to a Discordian than it has to the rest of the internet. Cheers. https://youtu.be/flLEr_sYC-k
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,

Chelagoras The Boulder

-Al Qaedic, for shitting on my favorite show.
-The fact that modern dating is a wall to wall shitshow, but i can't complain about it without everyone on the internet assuming i'm an incel
-people who assume that because i dabble in stand up comedy i am prepared to perform an impromptu set in the middle of our crowded office while everyone is trying to clock in.
-Life, the Universe and Everything
-people who don't get Doug Adams references.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on January 28, 2019, 03:43:56 AM
-The fact that modern dating is a wall to wall shitshow, but i can't complain about it without everyone on the internet assuming i'm an incel
-people who assume that because i dabble in stand up comedy i am prepared to perform an impromptu set in the middle of our crowded office while everyone is trying to clock in.

Dating does suck.  Until it doesn't.
Molon Lube

Al Qədic

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on January 28, 2019, 03:43:56 AM
-Oi, you can at least get the name right. That's Qədic. Q-schwa-d-i-c. :lulz:
-Agreed
-I hate those people...even though I'm sometimes that person
-Something something 42
-Agreed. They ought to listen to some Vogon poetry, that'll teach em.
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,

LMNO

Having never known about the existence of this show before, reading Al Qədic's summary was.... really fuckin weird.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman