News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: The Suu on October 12, 2014, 05:09:51 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 12, 2014, 09:37:54 AM
Quote from: The Suu on October 12, 2014, 12:14:52 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 11, 2014, 11:26:06 PM
They have a shit ton of brown tree snakes as well, don't they?

Yes, and the spiders eat those too.  :kingmeh:

Uh, I'm not so sure about that, especially given they're about 3-6 feet long.  My understanding was that brown tree snakes ate all the birds which used to hunt spiders, leading to a population explosion, and the only animals which feed on the brown tree snakes are red-bellied black snakes and cane toads.  The former is...not terrible, as far as Australian snakes and invasive species go, but the latter...

Is there anything from Australia that is not trying to kill something else?

Some of the sheep.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LuciferX on October 12, 2014, 07:09:33 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 12, 2014, 09:37:54 AM
Quote from: The Suu on October 12, 2014, 12:14:52 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 11, 2014, 11:26:06 PM
They have a shit ton of brown tree snakes as well, don't they?

Yes, and the spiders eat those too.  :kingmeh:

Uh, I'm not so sure about that, especially given they're about 3-6 feet long.  My understanding was that brown tree snakes ate all the birds which used to hunt spiders, leading to a population explosion, and the only animals which feed on the brown tree snakes are red-bellied black snakes and cane toads.  The former is...not terrible, as far as Australian snakes and invasive species go, but the latter...
The bufo marinus was a bad choice, it's just too prolific.  Other large toads have more specific breeding profiles, though this also restricts their yearly net consumption.  They don't eat much during periods of non-reproduction.
Quite true. Lets just leave it at ecology0 is complicated!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Sita

Parents are moving back here at the end of the month :)
Mom hates being in Tampa, but they moved back there few years ago because it was closer to both her and Dad's jobs. Now that Dad can't work anymore she finally convinced him to come back here.

They're up here at least two or three times a month anyway either for doctor visits (they didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to find a good one again) or to visit us. The place they found is just a 5-10 minute drive away.

This makes everyone happy, especially my son since this means seeing them more often.
:noodledance:
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So, I posted on my Facebook wall that I just applied to that study abroad opportunity in Borneo. Everyone is wishing me luck and being all positive and shit, and then this chick asks whether I can take my kids. Realizing that she probably doesn't realize why asking a college student whether they can take four teenagers on an overseas research trip is FUCKING STUPID, I tried to respond with gentle humor by saying that if I could afford to bring them there and put them up and hire someone to watch them while I'm working in the field, sure. To which she responds with suggesting that maybe I can get a grant or start a Kickstarter. :roll:

Because nothing says "good luck, I hope you get into the program!" like "Too bad your kids couldn't go too".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Borneo you say?

As I understand matters, working regulations are a little more lax in that part of the world. I'm pretty sure you could live a decent lifestyle with 4 kids working 12 hour shifts to support you.

Hell, it's realistic that you could return in a better financial position that when you left.

Also, hard work is character building. So everyone wins.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Being sold into slave prostitution is a cultural experience, too!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Technically, everything is a cultural experience.

"Encounter the USA from the unique perspective of the homeless! See the wonders of how those around those around the breadline treat those below it! Make difficult financial decisions on a purchase to purchase basis while dealing with a mental illness (Or three) and a couple of medical ailments for good measure! We offer a full range of auditory, visual and physically jarring hallucinations coupled with no visible escape from poverty. Weekend tickets start at $1,500 and include no hotel, travel, toiletries or basic human decency and contact. For families, enquire about our "Living in a car" package"."

If someone isn't selling this, then I'm looking for a business partner in the US. Have your people call my people.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The fascinating thing about her suggestion is that the point of the program is to provide field research experience for me, not to enrich my children's life experiences.

And then it was shortly followed up by another guy lamenting that it's only an 11-day program and not a 6-month program. Jesus fucking christ people, I just want to get accepted to the program I actually applied for, not some hypothetical 6-month program where I can bring my children. Let me at least get accepted to the thing I WANT before starting in on how it's too bad it isn't something else entirely.

LMNO

On FB, your posts are a canvas for other people to paint their hopes and desires upon.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 13, 2014, 04:47:25 PM

"Encounter the USA from the unique perspective of the homeless! See the wonders of how those around those around the breadline treat those below it! Make difficult financial decisions on a purchase to purchase basis while dealing with a mental illness (Or three) and a couple of medical ailments for good measure! We offer a full range of auditory, visual and physically jarring hallucinations coupled with no visible escape from poverty. Weekend tickets start at $1,500 and include no hotel, travel, toiletries or basic human decency and contact. For families, enquire about our "Living in a car" package"."

If someone isn't selling this, then I'm looking for a business partner in the US. Have your people call my people.

Do I have to pay extra to be rousted by the police?
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Junkenstein

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on October 13, 2014, 05:11:26 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 13, 2014, 04:47:25 PM

Do I have to pay extra to be rousted by the police?

The Police? Oh, dear boy, gather round and I can show you our deluxe Law Enforcement Encounter Package.

Here, not only will you get direct hands-on contact with a local goon, you will get passed into the chain of custody on a charge no-ones sure about because you have a name kind of similar to someone who actually did something rather serious. After being left in one of our premier custody suites (Soundproofed for your privacy) for a about a week and a half you will be drinking your own piss and calling it wine!

We have to say, it's proving very popular with minorities, tourists and anyone who looks at people funny. Sorts them right out. Available in a range of accents.

Seriously, looking for a business partner in the US.

minuspace

Quote from: Your Mom on October 13, 2014, 04:59:08 PM
The fascinating thing about her suggestion is that the point of the program is to provide field research experience for me, not to enrich my children's life experiences.

And then it was shortly followed up by another guy lamenting that it's only an 11-day program and not a 6-month program. Jesus fucking christ people, I just want to get accepted to the program I actually applied for, not some hypothetical 6-month program where I can bring my children. Let me at least get accepted to the thing I WANT before starting in on how it's too bad it isn't something else entirely.

I also used to behave like that, sometimes.  It's envy that masks itself with a disparaging comparison.  They will resist the idea that they actually resent you for nearly living their dreams.  The best response I found is to say "I'm so jealous" re: something they do.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 13, 2014, 05:05:19 PM
On FB, your posts are a canvas for other people to paint their hopes and desires upon.

Yeah, every so often I post something that reminds me why I don't normally post anything that delves into my real life on FB.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Your Mom on October 14, 2014, 12:19:12 AM

Yeah, every so often I post something that reminds me why I don't normally post anything that delves into my real life on FB.

Three of us invented the "blocked" troll, and that's largely all I do anymore.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 14, 2014, 12:31:18 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 14, 2014, 12:19:12 AM

Three of us invented the "blocked" troll, and that's largely all I do anymore.

:lulz: Wait, what's that?

I came up with a new FB troll the other day, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It's simply picking one person, preferably one who kind of annoys you, and only ever replying to their posts with "hahahahaha". Same number of "ha"s every time. Pretty sure it would send certain temperament types right up a wall.