News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

A new 50-post suggestion

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, December 22, 2013, 10:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So, we're all basically a raft of assholes. But in the past, we've been assholes who vaguely followed a system of checks and balances to make this board more fun for newcomers, because the bottom line is it's an internet and nobody is going to play if it isn't fun.

This system consisted of two parts:

Part 1. The 50-Post Rule, later downgraded to the 50-Post Suggestion, which was the practice of waiting until a new person had made 50 posts before Showing Them What or accusing them of being a troll, even if they were cocky, annoying, pineal, or lame.

Part 2. The Welcoming Committee, which if I recall consisted of myself, Ratatosk, and Cramulus. We in particular were tasked with being friendly and inquiring and trying to engage the noob in conversation.

Over time, however, the system has deteriorated, and in fact has at this point been cast pretty much entirely to the wayside. Internet forums are not as popular as they once were so we get fewer visitors, and persistent trolls like Poptart have made us suspicious.

The problem with that suspicion is that if you are wearing shitheel-tinted glasses, every noob is going to look like a shitheel. That affects how we perceive and interact with every new person here. Some people sail on through it, others, perhaps already a little intimidated, try too hard or make the wrong jokes, or hold their mouth funny or are wearing the wrong color sweater, and invariably someone tells them they're doin' it wrong, and things after that usually go as well as you'd expect them to go.

I don't especially like to see my bipedal friends on all fours, and the way we react to noobs has become reflexive, habitual... it isn't very bipedal of us. We're wearing shitheel-tinted glasses. I'd like to propose a new 50-Post Rule, in which we refrain from telling the noobs that they're doin' it wrong, and give them a chance to figure it out on their own. Even if you don't care for their tone. Further, it would be nice if a few of us made a point of seeking to reach out to the new person and engage them in conversation. Just like you would do at a party. Hey there, new guy... so what do you like to do?

Maybe they'll turn out to be a shitheel. Lots of people are, and basically every single one of us is a dumbass on some level or other. Maybe they'll turn out to be Poptart. But so what, really? There's plenty of time to verbally abuse them later, and the worst thing Poptart can do is "I'm Poptart, LOL!"
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Salty

I offer my services as welcoming party.

Because I am friendly.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

I don't want to be welcoming party.

I'm just willing to abide by the 50 post suggestion.  Except in egregious cases, such as Carnival.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 10:48:50 PM

I'm just willing to abide by the 50 post suggestion.  Except in egregious cases, such as Carnival.

I can't imagine you as welcoming party. "Hi noob. Welcome to SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP." :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think that obviously if you get some jackass saying overtly, no-interpretation-needed, sexist or racist things, there's no reason to abide by  the 50-post rule.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 10:53:29 PM

I can't imagine you as welcoming party. "Hi noob. Welcome to SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP." :lulz:

I can be one of the favors you do.

"Stay away from the cranky old man, he's a jerk and he hates you."

They won't listen, I'll be a jerk.  Then the new person will have a basis for comparison.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 10:55:05 PM
I think that obviously if you get some jackass saying overtly, no-interpretation-needed, sexist or racist things, there's no reason to abide by  the 50-post rule.

Good, because I won't.  The internet is full of "Carnivals" and also guys like "Brother Nihil".

The Good Reverend Roger

Gonna need to unscramble the post counts, then.

Salty

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 10:55:56 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 10:53:29 PM

They won't listen, I'll be a jerk.  Then the new person will have a basis for comparison.

I am going to tell them you are a big teaddy bear...

...used to smuggle several gallons of jenkem.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on December 22, 2013, 10:58:41 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 10:55:56 PM

I am going to tell them you are a big teaddy bear...

...used to smuggle several gallons of jenkem.

ECH's job.

"If you feel you have been mistreated, go tell ECH.  He is the very soul of sympathy, and will hold your hand and dry your tears".

What I plan to do is let you guys welcome any noobs, and I'll just treat them the way I treat old-timers, until there's a reason not to.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 10:58:28 PM
Gonna need to unscramble the post counts, then.

Yeah, I suppose so, or maybe change the star rating system or the user title to correspond in some discernible way.