News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

SOOOOOO...The new Deadpool movie is gonna be PG13.

PG13

Maybe he can give an anti-drug speech in there somewhere. Or maybe have a cute talking mascot. Soundtrack includes uplifting songs by Elton John.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Junkenstein

And who's surprised? Wasn't the last Terminator film a 12 or some shit?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 22, 2014, 06:37:51 PM
And who's surprised? Wasn't the last Terminator film a 12 or some shit?

When I was a kid, I wouldn't have been caught DEAD watching a PG13 movie.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2014, 06:22:18 PM
Quote from: The Suu on September 22, 2014, 06:17:54 PM
I have 2 conferences next month. Back to back weekends. The first is on Credit and Debt in the Middle Ages to Early Modern Period, that's just one day of panels. The weekend after that is a Classical Symposium focusing on mythology. My nerd cred is going to grow exponentially.

You'll get to sit at the head of the table in the cafeteria where all the other middle ages scholars sit.

:lol:

I KNOW. With all of their epic moustaches, while we bitch about the latest version of the Chicago Manual of Style and reminisce about the old days of Turabian. All while sipping black coffee and giving dirty, if not sketchy looks to the undergrads that perceive all history professors are batshit.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on September 22, 2014, 06:44:36 PM
I have 2 conferences next month. Back to back weekends. The first is on Credit and Debt in the Middle Ages to Early Modern Period, that's just one day of panels. The weekend after that is a Classical Symposium focusing on mythology. My nerd cred is going to grow exponentially.

You'll get to sit at the head of the table in the cafeteria where all the other middle ages scholars sit.

I KNOW. With all of their epic moustaches, while we bitch about the latest version of the Chicago Manual of Style and reminisce about the old days of Turabian. All while sipping black coffee and giving dirty, if not sketchy looks to the undergrads that perceive all history professors are batshit.

You get bonus points if you make them recite Chaucer's The Miller's Tale out loud as a precondition for seating.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2014, 06:47:52 PM

You get bonus points if you make them recite Chaucer's The Miller's Tale out loud as a precondition for seating.

HOT.

I'm reading the Decameron right now. My husband wants to know why I keep wincing.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on September 22, 2014, 06:57:39 PM

HOT.

I'm reading the Decameron right now. My husband wants to know why I keep wincing.

The 4th tale is a hoot.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2014, 07:03:59 PM

HOT.

The 4th tale is a hoot.

Which one? The 4th on the 1st day? The young woman and the abbot? Yup. It's actually part of my required reading for tomorrow, since we're talking about secular opinions of the church.

TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL, BOCCACCIO.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on September 22, 2014, 07:13:11 PM

HOT.

The 4th tale is a hoot.

Which one? The 4th on the 1st day? The young woman and the abbot? Yup. It's actually part of my required reading for tomorrow, since we're talking about secular opinions of the church.

You'd almost think he felt there was corruption in the clergy.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2014, 07:22:27 PM
Quote from: The Suu on September 22, 2014, 07:13:11 PM

HOT.

The 4th tale is a hoot.

You'd almost think he felt there was corruption in the clergy.

Just a bit.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on September 22, 2014, 07:24:00 PM
Just a bit.

He was pretty clever, though, in pointing at "bad apples", rather than the bushel.  Considering when and where he published.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2014, 07:34:28 PM
Quote from: The Suu on September 22, 2014, 07:24:00 PM
Just a bit.

He was pretty clever, though, in pointing at "bad apples", rather than the bushel.  Considering when and where he published.

I kinda of want to find a copy of the trippy Pasolini movie from the 70s.  :lulz:

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2014, 06:31:12 PM

PG13

Maybe he can give an anti-drug speech in there somewhere. Or maybe have a cute talking mascot. Soundtrack includes uplifting songs by Elton John.

Weird, because the teaser footage was pretty damn violent?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on September 22, 2014, 08:02:03 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2014, 06:31:12 PM

PG13

Weird, because the teaser footage was pretty damn violent?

Yeah, I know.

But PG13 gets one F-bomb per movie, and gore?  You gotta raise little soldiers somehow.