News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

Illuminatus Trilogy

Started by Churro the Viscous, April 06, 2008, 10:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Churro the Viscous

I read half of the first chapter, and I'm really not feeling like it's worth while.
So, I'd like to know from some fellow Discordians:
Is the Illuminatus Trilogy worth it?
Should I continue reading it?
Or is it just some irrelevant novel?
"Nothing is true. Everything is permissible." - Hasan bin Sabbah
"Non Serviam" - Satan

Cramulus

yeah, you gotta do it.

Afterwards, make up your own mind about whether or not it was worth it.

But it's classic Discordian lit... if anything I'd reccommend it just so you know what everyone's talking about.

Personally, I dug it a great deal.

bonus tip - if you hunt around this forum with the search thingo, you can find numerous discussions and arguments about Illuminatus!. Some are great reading.

Payne

I loathe it, but you have to read it anyway.

It's just one of them things.

Requia ☣

If it sucks, you will have at least learned enough to flame it intelligently.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

e

Personally I enjoyed it.  It's very Po-Mo, though.  My friend tried to read a chapter and it hurt his brain.

So certainly not for everyone.  I got my Bachelors in English and plan to get an extra degree or so, so I'm probably not a good person to ask about books.  Unless, that is, you really like books and want to read as many of them as possible (like me)  :lol:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I got about 3/4 through it and ran out of time to read.

It was pretty fun, though... I recommend getting a little high and then trying, if it's just boring. It will seem really deep when you're high.

Even though it's not.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Churro the Viscous

I've decided to finish it.
I have the endurance to plow on.
Hopefully, I'll start liking it soon.
I like some of it, certainly.
Not a lot, though.
"Non Serviam" - Satan

Payne

I HAD to be stoned while reading it.

It seriously turned me right off all the fucking numerology and mystical bulshit.

Verbal Mike

It was crap, I loved it, and I recommend you read it, especially if you plan to hang out here (things suddenly make much more sense). I'll third that about getting stoned... Not only will it make much more sense to you when you're thoroughly zonked, it also might provide some very interesting food for thought... I realized some very profound things reading that book high (even though they were mostly packaged in nice steamy bullshit in the actual book.)
If you have any kind of Anarchist streak in you, you'll at least appreciate Hagbard Celine's very intelligent antiestablishmenarianism.
And I agree that at the very least it will allow you to take part in the excellent pro-or-con threads about it round here.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Vene

Quote from: Payne on April 07, 2008, 01:41:04 AM
I HAD to be stoned while reading it.

It seriously turned me right off all the fucking numerology and mystical bulshit.
Then it at least did some good.

e

I stand alone as that rarest of breeds, the "straight-edge discordian"  :eek:

Requia ☣

Comptely straight edged?  Not even booze?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Churro the Viscous

After reading more into it (I'm about 1/5th :wink: into the second chapter), I do indeed like it very much.
"Non Serviam" - Satan

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Requiem on April 07, 2008, 03:03:42 AM

That's how I read it. 100% sober the whole damn time.

e

Quote from: Requiem on April 07, 2008, 03:03:42 AM
The last time I got drunk is never.  I occasionally have a "social drink" with friends, but never more than one light thingy (a rum-and-coke, usually).  I suppose it also helps that I find most alcohol to be quite un-delicious, and my sweet tooth overrides all reason.