News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

NANOWRIMO OPERATION:BRAINSTORM

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 07:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on October 08, 2008, 08:32:33 PM
Wow.  Cain, you're like a public library with an attitude.

Having nearly 10 gig of books does come in handy, at times.  Even if it means a reading list which would make a PhD candidate cry.

Incidentally, I have just got to the section about plot in No Plot No Problem.

Two things: do not get attached to your plots.  You are not going to write a masterpiece, get used to the fact.  This is for fun, not literary genius.

Secondly, he suggests coming up with a plot "Magna Carta".  Write down a list of things you enjoy in a novel.  For example, love stories, set in urban areas, cranky old people, transport mishaps, romantic comedy etc.  Then write down a list of things which you hate in a novel and depress you.  For example, mental illness, set on farms, period dramas, useless damsels in distress etc  List one is the main one you should work from to come up with a plot.  List two is things you should avoid like the plague.

Cain

Of course, he also suggests not doing all this until your final week before the competition begins, just so you have no time to become attached to a plot.

Cramulus

Quote from: Cain on October 08, 2008, 09:12:03 PM
Of course, he also suggests not doing all this until your final week before the competition begins, just so you have no time to become attached to a plot.

funk 'dat. It takes time for me to get started on something and then fail to complete it.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on October 08, 2008, 09:31:55 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 08, 2008, 09:12:03 PM

funk 'dat. It takes time for me to get started on something and then fail to complete it.

Dude, out of all of us, you should be one of the last to say that ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Suu

Okay, so I went and signed up at their main page, here's my profile: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/407270

If anyone else signs up, do add me as a writing buddy, and yes, my board signature there IF I so choose to post says I'm Team PrincipiaDiscordia.com.  :lulz:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Heh.  That's a good idea.  "Team PrincipiaDiscordia.com".  I like it.

LMNO

Suu

I figured why the fuck not for buddies and teams and wtf. If a group of us are doing it anyway, we may as well be saps and have fun with it.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

Added.

I have a feeling this is going to turn into one big fucking troll.

Eve

Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Cain

I think I came up with something approaching a plot today.

Well, the start of one at least.  Writing it down now to remind me, then I'm going to try and focus on characterization instead.

LMNO

Cain

I thought you weren't going to do a homage to De Sade this year?