News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

The Nelson Bird and Other Local Species

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, April 16, 2012, 04:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Cleanup in Mass is all seagulls, am I right? Don't remember seeing any buzzards.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I saw a huge flock of cormorants on Saturday! I love those guys. Also there was a shit ton of Gray Herons in a field, and then Space Cowboy told us about the time he got shat on by one. Apparently one landed on the port above his room on a boat, and when he tried to open it, it shat and flew off, and the shit slid into his cabin and got all over his bed. It reportedly smelled like rotten fish and had the consistency of snot.

Anyway, Gray Herons. Also a shit ton of bald eagle nests on top of telephone poles. I love Portland.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

My dad hooked a cormorant once when we were out deep sea fishing. The fucker dived under to snag the bait. :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Yep. Seagulls are nasty creatures. Theyll hover over you if youre eating fries on castle island. And by over you i mean like two feet above you. I imagine pigeons to a degree as well.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

Yeah, and up there they come a long way inland and hang around dumpsters, crapping on cars at the supermarkets.  :lol:

Ours pretty much stay on the beach. I think we have a different kind, they have little dark caps and seem to be smaller. They sound like they're laughing at you.  :p

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 17, 2012, 10:56:50 PM
My dad hooked a cormorant once when we were out deep sea fishing. The fucker dived under to snag the bait. :lulz:

:lulz:

What did he do, cut the line or reel it in?

Don Coyote

had to cut the line. i'm not sure that even if we had been on our own boat, if he would hav reeled it in.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 18, 2012, 02:11:37 AM
had to cut the line. i'm not sure that even if we had been on our own boat, if he would hav reeled it in.

He's smart. Probably best not to reel in a pissed off, freaked out cormorant. 
I imagine some people have, though. :lol:

Kai

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 17, 2012, 10:49:06 PM
They take their time. Circle, land, hop around, pick the shirt open, hop around, pick the eyes...

I've only seen them with animals, but I knew somebody who found a body and had to shoo them off.

Turkey vultures are awesome. They are much bigger than they look from a distance.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on April 18, 2012, 03:04:39 AM
Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 17, 2012, 10:49:06 PM
They take their time. Circle, land, hop around, pick the shirt open, hop around, pick the eyes...

I've only seen them with animals, but I knew somebody who found a body and had to shoo them off.

Turkey vultures are awesome. They are much bigger than they look from a distance.

Yes, some of them look at least knee high. I think they're the biggest birds we have around here.

The only way you can tell them from the eagles when they're gliding is they bend their wing tips.