News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

I did this for you

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 23, 2014, 01:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If someone gives someone a gift that they did not ask for and do not want, was the gift really for the recipient, or was it really for the giver?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: Your Mom on September 23, 2014, 01:18:22 AM
If someone gives someone a gift that they did not ask for and do not want, was the gift really for the recipient, or was it really for the giver?

How useful is it to the recipient?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Eater of Clowns

If this is about the 30 foot length of squirrel tails I sent you, I'm sorry, I really thought you'd like it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Johnny

It can be an extremely contradictory action that mixes giving something selflessly that was chosen narcissistically.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

LMNO

The answer cannot be given until the mental state of the giver can be assessed.

tyrannosaurus vex

Yeah I don't see any one size fits all answers here. It depends on whether the giver knows ahead of time that the gift is unwanted.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm interested in some analyses from different perspectives, it isn't a trick question. I wouldn't mind some comments from the recipient's perspective as well.

Only two conditions: It is a gift that is both unasked for, and unwanted. Not necessarily offensive, nor even unappreciated in an "isn't that sweet, it's the gift that counts" way, but simply unwanted.

I'm really interested in perspectives here, this isn't a "right answer" kind of question.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 23, 2014, 01:20:29 AM
If this is about the 30 foot length of squirrel tails I sent you, I'm sorry, I really thought you'd like it.

:lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on September 23, 2014, 01:20:25 AM

It's unwanted, as stated.

Ben Shapiro

Give the gift that keeps on giving to someone else. Give it to someone who might want it?

axod

I give myself a Judas for Christmas, regularly.  It kills me to say they "work for me".  Really.
just this

Sita

Giving of a gift is always for the giver, as it is usually something one does to make themselves feel better (by way of making others feel better).
Now whether it is also for the giftee or not depends on if the person honestly thought it would be something well recieved.
Or if they are using it as something in which to have for leverage later ("well I've given you all this stuff and all I'm asking is for this one thing....")
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

LMNO

Quote from: Your Mom on September 23, 2014, 05:59:15 AM
I'm interested in some analyses from different perspectives, it isn't a trick question. I wouldn't mind some comments from the recipient's perspective as well.

Only two conditions: It is a gift that is both unasked for, and unwanted. Not necessarily offensive, nor even unappreciated in an "isn't that sweet, it's the gift that counts" way, but simply unwanted.

I'm really interested in perspectives here, this isn't a "right answer" kind of question.

Well, if it happened to me, I'd be polite about it, and view it as the giver trying to be nice and thoughtful.  I'd also flag them as someone who might not be terribly perceptive, if they think I'd like the gift.

Wait, we're not talking about gonorrhea, are we?

hooplala

Quote from: Your Mom on September 23, 2014, 06:14:17 AM

That doesn't really answer my question. A gift can be unwanted, yet still be very useful.

If the giver gave it, feeling it could be genuinely useful, it could be a genuine gift. Even if unwanted and unasked for. 

If it isn't at all useful, it's really up in the air, based on many factors.

Could you relay some other information so this isn't a pin the tail on the donkey situation for everyone answering?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on September 23, 2014, 11:58:35 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on September 23, 2014, 06:14:17 AM

That doesn't really answer my question. A gift can be unwanted, yet still be very useful.

If the giver gave it, feeling it could be genuinely useful, it could be a genuine gift. Even if unwanted and unasked for. 

If it isn't at all useful, it's really up in the air, based on many factors.

Could you relay some other information so this isn't a pin the tail on the donkey situation for everyone answering?

What kind of information do you want? If it is useful but the recipient doesn't want it, isn't it a bit paternalistic and/or creates an unwanted obligation?