News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Republicans feel it is too expensive to give poor kids healthy meals

Started by AFK, December 02, 2010, 01:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

If the poor kids feel so bad about it, they should vote for someone else.

Oh, wait, that's right, they cant.  Nevermind then!
\
:cheney:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on December 04, 2010, 07:38:50 AM
They are really bad people.

Supported by the New Scum1 that voted for them.

1 Warren Ellis must be fucking psychic.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 03, 2010, 07:16:42 PM
Quote from: Jenne on December 03, 2010, 06:25:23 PM
Wasn't there a Southern Congressman from like Alabama or something last year that said free lunch programs just encourage the poor to "breed like dogs" or something like that?

SC Lt Gov Bauer.

"Free School Lunches Encourage 'Stray Animals' to 'Breed'. "

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2010/01/25/poorchildrenarestrayanimals-bauer-was-a-recipient-subsidized-school-lunch-program-as-a-child

Ah yes.  :lol:  THIS, America, is the government YOU asked for.

Jasper

"Stray animals" indeed.  

Please do not tap on the glass.  Please do not feed the proles.

Phox

Fuck it, let's just implement the modest proposal of Jonathan Swift. Two birds with one stone, right?

Dean

Haven't they ever heard of Oprah or "The Secret"? They obviously are falling behind on their guided mega-wanting for money.

Adios

On Thursday, the House took up the International Protecting Girls by Preventing Child Marriage Act of 2010. The bill would ensure that child marriage is recognized as a human rights violation, and develop comprehensive strategies to prevent such marriages around the world. The legislation seemed likely to garner strong bipartisan support in Congress, and in the Senate, it did. But last night, the bill was voted down in the House by Republicans who argued the bill is too costly and could lead to increased abortions -- gripes the measure's supporters say have no basis in reality and are just excuses to kill the popular bill.

The measure, introduced by Sens. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), passed the Senate by unanimous consent and attracted a list of 42 cosponsors, including Sens. David Vitter (R-La.) and Roger Wicker (R-Miss.). It also had the support of nonpartisan groups like the YWCA. On Dec. 6, former president of Ireland Mary Robinson and Nobel Peace Prize winner Desmond Tutu wrote an op-ed in The Washington Post, praising the United States for stepping up: "This act illustrates how support for securing a just and healthy life for every woman and girl transcends politics."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/17/house-republicans-block-child-marriage-prevention-act_n_798382.html

I never heard of this bill.

Juana

Neither had I. Fucking House Republicans WOULD vote it down, though.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Adios

Quote from: Hover Cat on December 20, 2010, 09:35:46 PM
Neither had I. Fucking House Republicans WOULD vote it down, though.
I suppose they enjoy teabagging children.

Adios

Telarus

Wow, this thread has shifted. Damn, didn't hear about that either. At all. Not surprised, mind you, considering the DC News Blackout thread.

Here's a quote that illuminates both topics:

"Essentially, we have a system where wealthy farmers feed the poor crap and poor farmers feed the wealthy high-quality food. -Michael Pollan

via @Justin Boland
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Telarus on December 20, 2010, 11:35:29 PM
Wow, this thread has shifted. Damn, didn't hear about that either. At all. Not surprised, mind you, considering the DC News Blackout thread.

Here's a quote that illuminates both topics:

"Essentially, we have a system where wealthy farmers feed the poor crap and poor farmers feed the wealthy high-quality food. -Michael Pollan

via @Justin Boland

I love Michael Pollan.  Whenever I think journalism is dead, I'm reminded of Pollan's significant efforts on bring the food problem into the light.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.