News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

PICS VIII: 10% LARGER THAN PICS VII

Started by Anna Mae Bollocks, April 12, 2013, 04:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Dawkins is an endless font of entertainment.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Johannes

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

minuspace

Reply from kata-cthonia:
QuoteI'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry.
Is OP aware that oh so many books exist on this subject?
And that almost universally the ones authored by people with doctorates in classicism and mythology disagree with OP?
Including the... epic hymn that first told this story? You know what's in that original source material... right?
Abducted, yes.
Demeter mourned? Definitely.
Rape, no.

So here's some info on Ancient Greek wedding traditions which (oh my stars and garters!!) included abducting the bride. With the father's permission, which Hades got before he took her away.
Here's a whole book on the subject of Ancient Greek wedding custom and its conflation with funeral rites. (Which sounds a bit like Hades and Persephone to anyone who's ever dabbled in things like explication and context)
Here's a link to another book that talks about Persephone's rise to power as a result of her willingly eating the pomegranate seeds.
Oh shit!!
Here's a whole bunch of myths and hymns that talk about her Queen of the Underworld badassery!!
Holy pug tacos Batman!!
Here's another book about the myth focusing on the seasonal religious and liminal rites. WHICH TAKE PLACE IN THE DRY SUMMER (not the fucking winter), which you know if you read a book.Way to go, OP!
All these fucking books!  What could anyone possibly do with them all?!?!?!?! Do you eat books to absorb their powers instead of read them?

A better guess would be that you got into a moral panic over the name of a certain Renaissance statue and maybe after reading three pages of Edith Hamilton or the first paragraph of a Wikipedia article. And then used that to castigate and demean not only the people who actually take their limited time to create gorgeous art but also to denigrate modern day worshippers of Persephone and Hades?
Maybe next time, you stringy piece of over-boiled okra, you might want to take your own advice and pick up a book, instead of reducing the feared and respected Queen of the Underworld who held power equal to or in many interpretations GREATER than her husband into a meaningless pastiche of female disenfranchisement that you seemingly plucked from your own ass.

/here:/ links on request

Q. G. Pennyworth

I'm confused. Are you pro "that's fucking rape, dude" or against?

Chelagoras The Boulder

i was convinced until i remembered that the word rape used to mean violent theft...
and that she seems to have translated a Latin word, and not a Greek one...
and that Google translate is probably not the best tool for comparatively analyzing ancient texts in any case..
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Based on my superficial scanning of the posted quotes, and an understanding that is not backed up in any way by knowledge of the source material, it looks like kata-cthonia just owned the fuck out of whothefuckisultron, academically speaking. Citations and all that rot.

But again, it seems also a little as if whothefuckisultron may have just been trolling, and if so I have to say that outraged radical misinterpretation of classical texts is a brilliant troll.

minuspace

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 17, 2015, 12:34:17 AM
I'm confused. Are you pro "that's fucking rape, dude" or against?
Me, generally against, although the myth does lend itself to a reading that articulates the nature of violation by way of abduction qua "enhanced extraordinary rendition".
Re:
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 17, 2015, 04:40:58 AM

But again, it seems also a little as if whothefuckisultron may have just been trolling, and if so I have to say that outraged radical misinterpretation of classical texts is a brilliant troll.