News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

Wikileaks releases US military civilian murder cover-up video

Started by Da6s, April 05, 2010, 06:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

Video is gun mounted camera. 2 Reuters news staff were killed in this video as well.

Possibly nsfw, due to violence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is9sxRfU-ik

In case Youtube url gets taken down:
http://collateralmurder.com/

:tinfoilhat:

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Juana

Jesus. That's pretty fucking stunning--thanks for being evil, guys!
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Elder Iptuous

just one more stunning example of how fucked up this war is...

or 'engage' me.

Doktor Howl

Not sure what I missed.  Looked like the usual SNAFU.  Don't see any outright evil.  What time segment was it at?
Molon Lube

Remington

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 06, 2010, 01:04:29 AM
Not sure what I missed.  Looked like the usual SNAFU.  Don't see any outright evil.  What time segment was it at?
Firing at civilians doesn't count as evil?
Is it plugged in?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Remington on April 06, 2010, 02:30:51 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 06, 2010, 01:04:29 AM
Firing at civilians doesn't count as evil?

A group of civilians with an RPG and at least two rifles doesn't count as civilians.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

i guess it's the normal SNAFU, but it just points it out again.
they have some grainy ass image that they decisively call an insurgent with an RPG when it turns out to be a reporter with a camera.
they mow them down.
some folks come by to collect the bodies.
they mow them down.
they make snarky comments about 'the bastards' and 'nice shootin'', etc.
kids died.

y'know.
SNAFU.
:sad:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on April 06, 2010, 02:35:51 AM
they have some grainy ass image that they decisively call an insurgent with an RPG when it turns out to be a reporter with a camera.

Who says it was a camera?  And why would a camera need an RPG round (as was found on the scene)?

I keep hearing how there was a camera, but I haven't seen any evidence at all.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

because it's on youtube, and youtube wouldn't lie to us!
why do you hate freedom!?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on April 06, 2010, 02:50:46 AM
because it's on youtube, and youtube wouldn't lie to us!
why do you hate freedom!?

Because now I have to "freedom kiss".   :argh!:
Molon Lube

Juana

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 06, 2010, 02:43:15 AM
Quote from: Iptuous on April 06, 2010, 02:35:51 AM

Who says it was a camera?  And why would a camera need an RPG round (as was found on the scene)?

I keep hearing how there was a camera, but I haven't seen any evidence at all.
Early in the fotage, there was a part where the photographer was kneeling behind a building and the end of his camera was sticking out. That's what they thought was an RPG. All the RPGs I've ever seen (and I looked around bit after this video) have pointy ends--the camera had a telephoto lens on it, which is round with a blunt end. Previous to that, there was a bit where the photographer slung his camera behind him, which they thought was a weapon of some sort as well--I would argue that it was sloppy identification on their part, since an AK-47, which is what they thought it was from what I got, would be much longer and stick out more than the camera did.

Further, there were those kids in the van. "It was their fault for bringing them here" <--something I'd consider kind of evil, since they certainly didn't have a choice in the matter and the gunmen didn't seem to give a shit. And then "come on, let us shoot". Maybe this is my inner hippie coming out, but I would prefer that no one give me a reason to shoot.

Edited to account for Dok's post in the other thread
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Pariah

From what I read, one person slightly out of the group had a rifle. The man driving the van was delivering his kids to a tutoring session, and stopped by the people shot. As to whether the military was within in its boundaries in shooting the group of civilians is up to debate, but I would be hard pressed to find an argument for shooting unarmed civillians trying to help wounded people. If you find a man dying on the street, you help him.
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Pariah on April 06, 2010, 05:15:24 AMIf you find a man dying on the street, you help him.

You can always tell the ones that live in the decent parts of town. :lulz:

I'd probably try to find out what caused him to be dying first, so I could make sure it wouldn't happen to me.

Then I'd check his pockets.

:ECH:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Requia ☣

I have to go with Roger on this, what happened was fucked up, but I can't fault the judgment of the people on the site from what I see in the video.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

LMNO

Just as important as whether or not the shootings were "valid" is how this is going to be presented/used/misued/taken out of context in the media, both foreign and domestic.

Don't matter if it was justified if everyone else says it was badwrong.